Sponsored

Recovery Boards (Tracks/Planks/etc.)

LordEnzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
(Feel free to use this thread to ask any other ?s relating to the topic)

There's a lot of cheap, and few expensive, options. Best of the best, by my understanding, are MaxTrax. Personally, dont want to spend $300+ on a pair. (I kno, I kno, u get what u pay for. But I've almost always been able to skirt this rule safely, so it rarely applies in my personal belief. Therefore, to each their own.)

That said, I'm more so concerned about the materials use. Based on my research, some are polypropylene, which seems like original material. And others, more costly, are reinforced nylon. It looks like the nylon boards are the sturdier ones and that will last longer, take more abuse. Am I correct in this?

I've watched multiple YouTube videos, and read many reviews. But this is one aspect of these boards not covered anywhere.

I live in Florida, so mainly mud and sugar sand. Bridging and stepping arent much a concern, but i have seen such opportunities.

Here are some of the boards I'm looking at (engineering grade reinforced nylon), as well as replaceable studs for when the originals burn/break off. Any other insight/info on the topic will be much appreciated.
Jeep Gladiator Recovery Boards (Tracks/Planks/etc.) Screenshot_20200727-142714_eBay
Jeep Gladiator Recovery Boards (Tracks/Planks/etc.) Screenshot_20200727-142728_eBay
Jeep Gladiator Recovery Boards (Tracks/Planks/etc.) Screenshot_20200727-142822_Amazon Shoppin
Jeep Gladiator Recovery Boards (Tracks/Planks/etc.) Screenshot_20200727-144759_Amazon Shoppin
Sponsored

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I looked at a set of the last one due to having Hi-Lift base plate. I have not decided yet, I'd prefer tan or light green, blends in better. AKA don't catch everyone's eyes and draw attention. I guess it's due to me spending a lot of time in camo. ;) Red and other brite colors are better for being found after use though.

OP
OP
LordEnzo

LordEnzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I looked at a set of the last one due to having Hi-Lift base plate. I have not decided yet, I'd prefer tan or light green, blends in better. AKA don't catch everyone's eyes and draw attention. I guess it's due to me spending a lot of time in camo. ;) Red and other brite colors are better for being found after use though.
Kinda my thoughts too. The set with jack base also has option to get with hi lift jack for $168, but the reviews on their brand jack aren't that great. I was thinking going with the smittybilt jack if I do. Also wondering if anyone has had experience with either style i posted, or opinions on the material types? Since the too name brands are utilizing engineering grade reinforced nylon as the base material, I may go that route and go with a more trusted design like rototrax or the defend indust.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I think that here in USA most are to look at than use, kind of like most winches, shovels, axes. Probably less than 1% are or have been used. I bought a steel "winter" shovel in Europe for my MJ that was intended to be able to use like a traction board or to chip ice. IMHO after having to use most of the said things many times. I'd probably be more likely to be using as a jack base than recovery if I had them in my LJ, If I get them for use with JT. I would want to have 4 of them one for each tire, then might be used for the intended design in snow or mud. I currently have 3 places to use a Hi-Lift on JT. Front bumper and rear receiver hitch. So I don't keep it in JT just OEM and bottle jack, that does remind me that I need to put a few boards in JT for that (2×10×1ft) at least.
I only have actual Hi-Lift farm jacks, I have looked at a few counterfeit one's and not impressed by most of them. Hi-Lift company has been making them for a long time. I have heard of very few if any failed, I can only think of 1 breaking under normal use..... That was my first one and it failed on first use it broke a bad cast part. Not overloaded and it wasn't under load yet. I replace that jack with #2 and bought #3 the 60 inch model not much later. Both have been in use for over 20 years exposed to weather for most of that time. Number 2 is in my LJ hard mounted on added bar to "sport cage exposed when top is off.

OP
OP
LordEnzo

LordEnzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I figure just having a set as "just in case". Also have a tow/recovery strap for good measure. Waiting for upper decker and tent to come in, then plan on overlanding and exploring more of FL and into GA and the Carolinas. But there's also a couple of places in my county where conditions will eventually warrant having a set and/or recovery strap or winch. Holding off on winch for now.
Sponsored