Shopshirt

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gladiator
FYI this will be a rant:

Went to register my vehicle at the local Travis County Tax Assessor's office. They have a drive thru and lobby. They only do new vehicle registrations in the office lobby by appointment because of Covid restrictions, and supposedly staffing issues.
  • There are no appointments available, you can only schedule in the current month
  • The last news article I saw in Dec. said they had over 60k outstanding vehicle registrations.
  • The Governor's moratorium on registration enforcement expired last year.
2 years of Covid and they still haven't figured out an online workaround for registrations. The Tax Assessor has asked the local PD and Sherriff to not enforce but as I understand it they are enforcing expired tags. So basically I guess they told him to go jump in a lake.

So three hours in the drive thru line and a $39 temp tag later. Sitting here trying to chase an appointment. 🙄

Anyone else having the same thing in your counties?
Sponsored

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT, 2020 Ram 2500, 2013 JKU
Occupation
Facilities Maintenance
Parker County has at least 4-5 tellers inside for private owners and 2 desks open for dealers. I just had to renew wife’s Ram a couple weeks back.

OP
OP

Shopshirt

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gladiator
Sounds like you guys have a fully functioning office. The DMV shut down private titling in Travis county in 2018 and he still didn't fix the situation citing budget and staffing issues. But I mean come on 2-3 years and no workaround. Our Tax Assessors office is a joke LOL.

IamPro2A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 YJ, '07 Ram, '16 JK, '21 Sport S Max Tow
Thankfully, that stuff is mostly handled on a local level in New Hampshire. In a small town like mine, our town clerk also does the registration, etc. So basically shoot her an email, ask her when she wants to do it (since she only works about 20hrs a week) and go down. After that renewals can be done online.

Sponsored

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
Denton County, walk in, no mask. Get ‘er dun!
Was just there last month plating a dirt bike. :)

JJones95

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Logistics
FYI this will be a rant:

Went to register my vehicle at the local Travis County Tax Assessor's office. They have a drive thru and lobby. They only do new vehicle registrations in the office lobby by appointment because of Covid restrictions, and supposedly staffing issues.
  • There are no appointments available, you can only schedule in the current month
  • The last news article I saw in Dec. said they had over 60k outstanding vehicle registrations.
  • The Governor's moratorium on registration enforcement expired last year.
2 years of Covid and they still haven't figured out an online workaround for registrations. The Tax Assessor has asked the local PD and Sherriff to not enforce but as I understand it they are enforcing expired tags. So basically I guess they told him to go jump in a lake.

So three hours in the drive thru line and a $39 temp tag later. Sitting here trying to chase an appointment. 🙄

Anyone else having the same thing in your counties?
Sorry I didn't see this sooner (haven't been on the boards much lately) but I'll tell you what I did and since I am also in Travis County you might try this as well. I started by trying to make an appointment online and couldn't find any availability for at least a month so I called them. Told the person on the phone that I had a vehicle that I had bought out of state and I needed to register it and pay the taxes on it. Apparently telling them that you want to give them money gets them motivated because a short 3 minute hold later I had an 8am appointment for the very next day at the tax office off of McKinney Falls in SE Austin (right down the street from work so it was perfect). Took my old plates from my wrangler with me to get transferred to the gladiator and I was good to go.

Sorry to be long-winded, if you've already gotten it taken care of please ignore all of the above word-vomit.

OP
OP

Shopshirt

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gladiator
Thanks I'll keep that in mind! I ended up using a Private Title company. Took me an hour the fees were reasonable as well.

CaptNkllm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
I paid a registration company to do mine.. she asked if I had a preference for a plate and all I had to do was swing in and do a Vin inspection... 3 days later she had everything completed and I never broke a sweat... Las Vegas... They have never been great at service and as soon as they find something that actually works well... they get rid of it and something different.

Sponsored

jeepers29

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR, GC
Occupation
Domestic engineer
Thanks I'll keep that in mind! I ended up using a Private Title company. Took me an hour the fees were reasonable as well.
That sounds like the Libtard city that Austin is. Right next door in Georgetown, I walked in and registered an out of state purchased trailer in 15 minutes.
Sponsored