Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JT Rubi, 2018 VW Tiguan SEL
Occupation
Financial Services
9FC9F4FD-AF3D-487E-A721-A5AD3D0355C1.jpeg
8DE40F92-3B01-4582-9399-53E94C4812FA.jpeg
D60C5F95-25F2-4421-B266-D9CC3D9ADCE2.jpeg
But that is an ancillary part. It's also a tiny part. And it's also made from a completely different material than the body panels. It would be almost impossible to make that hinge stay black for years.

I'm with you on such an expensive truck and having things that already annoy you, but it's like my wife told me early in our marriage: "Pick your battles."
Seems like we have the same wife. Trouble with me is I respond “battles turn into war”. I’m not going to war, I’m dropping the bomb I need to if necessary. For now, I’ll work on a peace treaty.

the idea is that if you have a part that is open to elements, then make sure it’s coated. They didn’t, and now I expect them to rectify it. As should everyone else. Let’s take a look at the other doors per my pictures. It’s gonna happen to all of them eventually, so I’ll be the one to say something because no one else has and hopefully my battle will save many wars
Sponsored

OP
OP
rvillano8188

rvillano8188

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Financial Services
But that is an ancillary part. It's also a tiny part. And it's also made from a completely different material than the body panels. It would be almost impossible to make that hinge stay black for years.

I'm with you on such an expensive truck and having things that already annoy you, but it's like my wife told me early in our marriage: "Pick your battles."

and annoy would be my heat not changing properly based on temperature. This is a defect, not an annoyance. Very different things.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
Interesting that it is on this part. I was just looking at mine the other day and frustrated that it seems like it will scratch the paint eventually as time goes one removing and reattaching the doors. Do you think it makes sense to coat this with some kind of liquid rubber or something? I was thinking of attaching something to it with some 3m tape, but this really gets me thinking if I should just coat the entire thing.

Moe_Fugga

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I noticed the same on my doors today. Let us know how it goes. Probably just paint mine, but if they replace them with better finished pieces I may be inclined to take mine in! Attention to detail FCA!

OP
OP
rvillano8188

rvillano8188

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Financial Services
Interesting that it is on this part. I was just looking at mine the other day and frustrated that it seems like it will scratch the paint eventually as time goes one removing and reattaching the doors. Do you think it makes sense to coat this with some kind of liquid rubber or something? I was thinking of attaching something to it with some 3m tape, but this really gets me thinking if I should just coat the entire thing.
I think it's a good idea before something further happens, as it's basically a bare metal. I've been in touch with Jeep wave and a very diligent customer service rep who has updated me twice a day on the dealership's responses, or lack thereof. I will say that for my first "issue", Jeep's corporate customer service has been top notch. The dealer, not so much.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Wanna bet? Black zinc - if it's steel or similar, plate it.
Properly done zinc plating will last for decades, especially in a protected area.

Here are a couple of examples I have done for others - a hood striker for a 1970 AMX and shock tower bolts. All done in black zinc in my shop. (I'm set up to do clear/blue zinc, yellow zinc, black zinc, and nickel although I don't have a large tank for nickel yet so am very limited on the sizes there)
If it's steel, I can probably plate it. Iron parts may take nickel first, or copper, then zinc.

And since zinc is an active metal, even if it gets scratched, it will oxidize and sacrifice itself to protect the more passive steel below.

hood-striker-1.jpg
black-bolts-1.jpg

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Security
I think it's a good idea before something further happens, as it's basically a bare metal. I've been in touch with Jeep wave and a very diligent customer service rep who has updated me twice a day on the dealership's responses, or lack thereof. I will say that for my first "issue", Jeep's corporate customer service has been top notch. The dealer, not so much.
Good call. I plan on removing the doors a ton starting in March, it is sure to wear down from that.

You think the spray on rubber stuff from lowe's/home depot would hold up? I want something to protect this, but most importantly the part where it connects to the door where it loves to scratch on the slightest move.

OP
OP
rvillano8188

rvillano8188

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Financial Services
Good call. I plan on removing the doors a ton starting in March, it is sure to wear down from that.

You think the spray on rubber stuff from lowe's/home depot would hold up? I want something to protect this, but most importantly the part where it connects to the door where it loves to scratch on the slightest move.
so after a week and a half of Jeep wave calling me daily to tell me the dealership wasn’t being receptive, we finally got them to order me new parts and Jeep customer service is covering the repair. Even if they’re exactly the same which I expect them to be, I’m going to coat them in something immediately, just haven’t decided what yet.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Security
so after a week and a half of Jeep wave calling me daily to tell me the dealership wasn’t being receptive, we finally got them to order me new parts and Jeep customer service is covering the repair. Even if they’re exactly the same which I expect them to be, I’m going to coat them in something immediately, just haven’t decided what yet.
Let me know what you end up using to coat them. I haven't got anything yet, but plan to in the next month when I am probably going to be taking the doors off more often.

OP
OP
rvillano8188

rvillano8188

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Financial Services
Let me know what you end up using to coat them. I haven't got anything yet, but plan to in the next month when I am probably going to be taking the doors off more often.
I was thinking rust-oleum sells a bed liner spray that I used for my 2x8 in the bed to hold plywood. I liked the textured non slip coating and the water resistance. Thinking of using that

Sponsored

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Security
I was thinking rust-oleum sells a bed liner spray that I used for my 2x8 in the bed to hold plywood. I liked the textured non slip coating and the water resistance. Thinking of using that
I like the idea of that. Would the texture in it though have any chances of scraping the paint though? Or is it overall pretty smooth?

OP
OP
rvillano8188

rvillano8188

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Financial Services
I like the idea of that. Would the texture in it though have any chances of scraping the paint though? Or is it overall pretty smooth?[/QUOTE

overall pretty smooth on wood at least. For the 4 bucks I’m gonna buy it and test some pieces. If I don’t like the finish I’ll switch it up
Sponsored