OP
OP

mountainpass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport w/ Max Tow
Awesome progress!

Any thougts on weather sealing the top corners of the door? In the pictures they look rounded, where on the regular doors they are squared. Im not at my jeep at the moment but those seem like spots where rain would work its way in.
Yes the hard doors are slightly squared but I trimmed these to fit better, at least on my softtop(not sure difference if any in a hardtop to softtop at that point). I am going to apply weatherstripping, in whatever way I need to. Honestly not super concerned with some egress of water.

Also at this point before I get too excited I need to test these(at least the skin) for durability as its easy to poke through it. The industry makes thicker sheets but I bet its as susceptible to puncture. Plus they cost more. Another material for skin might be a plywood made with exterior glue. The issue of course will be weight, and painting with a very good exterior paint. I considered it in both a 3/8" or 1/2". The problem is very few layers. Would need less frame though, maybe just the metal for bend and a couple for side to side strength.
Sponsored

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Yes the hard doors are slightly squared but I trimmed these to fit better, at least on my softtop(not sure difference if any in a hardtop to softtop at that point). I am going to apply weatherstripping, in whatever way I need to. Honestly not super concerned with some egress of water.

Also at this point before I get too excited I need to test these(at least the skin) for durability as its easy to poke through it. The industry makes thicker sheets but I bet its as susceptible to puncture. Plus they cost more. Another material for skin might be a plywood made with exterior glue. The issue of course will be weight, and painting with a very good exterior paint. I considered it in both a 3/8" or 1/2". The problem is very few layers. Would need less frame though, maybe just the metal for bend and a couple for side to side strength.
maybe a strong spray on paint would decrease how wasy it is to poke through without adding too much weight or additional cost. Something like plastidip maybe.

OP
OP

mountainpass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport w/ Max Tow
maybe a strong spray on paint would decrease how wasy it is to poke through without adding too much weight or additional cost. Something like plastidip maybe.
Or search for a large heavy duty sticker. Heck I thought about putting stickers on it already. I have several from parts I've bought. But really I gotta say the skin is probably as tough as the fabric doors.

OP
OP

mountainpass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport w/ Max Tow
Today I basically finished the driver door. Tomorrow I have 4 hrs in truck cross country(55-60mph) so it'll be a good test. Still using the hook system when leaving just to keep door closed but looped a piece of velcro I had behind the frame(once inside stick one end through latch point and then back to itself), works great but still kinda finicky to latch(may revisit in future).
20210827_194248.jpg

I also used small metal corner pieces I had to strengthen the corners(really surprised at well they worked).

20210827_194319.jpg

For weatherstripping I used one piece of house 3/4" foam at front(stuck to body as it isn't a place the real door seals to and the door's front pushes into it). And for the door I chanced a Z-shape weatherstripping I bought off ebay(search z-shaped 26' ). I was unsure it would stick but so far its exceeded expectations. It did require trimming the door and beveled it(thinner inside to out).
20210827_194126.jpg

20210827_161000.jpg

20210827_161047.jpg

I also picked up some shorter 7/16 bolts( grade 8, 3" long for top hinge pin, already had 3.5", different length make installing easier). These bolts have a large area that isn't threaded( I cut them off right below the smooth area) and they have a slick coating on them) at Tractor Supply. I also cut some plastic molding(window seal extension(not sure thats correct name)) to put over the hinge to keep the hinge from cutting through the other door when hauling in bed and also to retain the hinge pin.

20210827_190539.jpg

OP
OP

mountainpass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport w/ Max Tow
Well drove 2 hrs eastbound at 60-65ish, hit 70 and the door was great, a little windnoise but not like unbearable and I think I can stop it. But return trip westbound the damn thing would lift away at top of frame at 55ish. Only things I can think of is wind direction? Maybe the days heat in door skin allowing more flex?

Either way frustrating. I thought of a solution over the next 2hrs while the door laid in bed. I'll try it tomorrow.

Sponsored

OP
OP

mountainpass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport w/ Max Tow
Quick and dirty solution didn't look as though it worked. Thought of another way but it'll involve lots of sawing, so since Sunday will spare the neighbors the noise.

OP
OP

mountainpass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport w/ Max Tow
The dang nuts holding steel brace were just loose.....

Since I have them going through the skin they can only be so tight that I risk pulling them through it. So I think it would be better to get a carriage bolt and put it under skin. That and a lock washer(which I've read don't really work) as I'm afraid loctite might eat up the plastic skin(guess i could be careful).

But even though I found the problem early I decided to try what I came up with anyway. I used a 2x4 and screwed it to the board between the hinges and then cut the top to fit shape of jeep. A 10 degree angle fit well. Plus it's stronger than the steel, although it doesn't look as elegant. I think I could cut some of its mass and not hurt the strength, but for now I'm gonna test it as is.
20210830_120320.jpg

One more thing if you drop a nut into this cavity, just pull off the cap in the wheelwell and reach in there with something and pull it out.

20210830_114701.jpg

OP
OP

mountainpass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport w/ Max Tow
Finished the passenger to complete my third pair. Pretty pleased with them. Did the weatherstripping on this one in one piece. I should point out that at the front of door I have ran a piece of 3/4" x 1/2" rectangular weatherstripping that is on the inside of jeeps door frame and door edge closes against it to seal. It stays when I put the jeep doors on and it doesn't affect them. Gonna to hone down the 2x4 to make them more appealing.

Also used some scrap plastic skin to make a way to hold one door above the other in bed so they don't beat against each other. Ultimately I'll have a pair of PVC pipes just had the one for picture and it needs to be longer.

20210901_181224.jpg

20210901_181321.jpg

OP
OP

mountainpass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport w/ Max Tow
Revisited the door latching today. Had a few ideas but this one really seems to be the best. One thing is it moves the fiddly part of latching from behind you to an easy place to deal with in front of you and dealing with it is almost non-existent. I bought a camming hook with cord at HD.
I could have simply hooked the cammed one to the latch but that requires the same twisting behind you with both hands to operate. Using my old hook( just drop it on the latch, pull the door tight with one hand, then pull the cord loop with the other). Super easy and fast.

20210902_172502.jpg

20210902_172528.jpg

20210902_172613.jpg

Leaving the vehicle you simply do as before, put the hook on latch( I found upside down works best as when you undo the cord lock and pull the door out, just push in and most of time it drops free) pull on door( to keep the upside down hook tight) as you push the cord lock inward. Sounds odd describing it but I think you can get the idea.

20210902_172704.jpg

I will point out that to travel without a passenger you would want to latch using the cam on inside instead of the method used when leaving vehicle as cord lock isn't strong enough.

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
This will probably the least expensive, most time-consuming & satisfying mod to your Jeep ever!

Kevin

Sponsored

OP
OP

mountainpass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport w/ Max Tow
This will probably the least expensive, most time-consuming & satisfying mod to your Jeep ever!

Kevin
Lol. I do have a great sense of pride and satisfaction but the learning has cost about $300 so far. I think this sets' cost is around $100. Dialing it in takes the time.

jplive

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Mojave-99 Jeep TJ-12 Buick Enclave
Watching this as well. love the ideas you are having. I've been thinking about trying to tackle this myself since the Besttop cost is just crazy.

I have the bestop soft doors on my 99 TJ and have had them on for probably 15 years and they are great but seemed to be much cheaper back then.
Sponsored