Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase

awesome work so far. Im loving seeing your progress. Its sorta scratching the itch for me since I haven’t had time to just go out in my garage and tinker
Sponsored

OP
OP

mountainpass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport w/ Max Tow
Ok the plastic hinge(well the top one) was replaced by an old cut down 4x4. The plastic one was letting it droop, this one works great.

Built the passenger also. It took a fraction of the time I spent on the other one. Here maybe you can see the bend I have in the front(with help of 1"x 3/16" flat steel) and the rear of door I used a thin piece of angle steel( that hang garage openers) might need to replace it with something more substantial.

20210810_165917.jpg

20210810_165927.jpg

I also figured out a solution for a latch. Try to follow. The first pic shows it latched while inside(the rope has a knot on outside and you put the hook through the jeeps' catch and then hook it to door when you are inside). Yes slightly fiddly but these are emergency doors.

20210810_115450.jpg

This pic shows the outside of door with it latched from inside.
20210810_115411.jpg

The next pic is how you secure the door from outside(reach in and this time just just put the hook on the jeeps' catch) when you leave the vehicle.
20210810_115623.jpg

And this is the view from outside after you use the push whatever up tight to door(notice the knot is several inches away).
20210810_115602.jpg

And here a pic of door ready for weatherstripping and window.

20210810_134301.jpg

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Diggin the ingenuity. Looking forward to updates. Good luck!

Sponsored

OP
OP

mountainpass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport w/ Max Tow
Ok started door 3(well driver again). Its just a different approach on the frame and hinges. Using conduit to cut weight as well as cost, plus looks more elegant. Well I bent conduit for the first time today.....umm I actually had it fitting pretty well then adjusted one bend and made it better. Then I decided to try to make one other area just a little better and then screwed around an hour trying to get back to how it was. Not sure how much weight I saved but not sure its worth it. Door seems almost a little too lithe. May try to do the passenger and see if I learned anything.

20210813_181714.jpg

20210813_181806.jpg

OP
OP

mountainpass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport w/ Max Tow
My thought was to throw them under tonneau but a friend with a JL asked how would I carry them, can you make them 2 piece. Well I could but it would add weight so I decided to see if they would fit over head and the fronts will( I haven't made the other one using the conduit but I think it will fit no problem). Excuse the rope haven't worked on how to strap them down just yet. It also gives shade to cab. Plus top clears when closed.

20210814_183344.jpg

OP
OP

mountainpass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport w/ Max Tow
Not much to report except I totaled up my receipts and I'm over $200 into pocket so far on the learning curve. Building one differently tomorrow, again(4th time). Hopefully getting to the point of gluing in first window.

To be clear the first pair met what I set out to do but I got so into perfecting it.....here we are.

OP
OP

mountainpass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport w/ Max Tow
Well frustrating day. On the other conduit door I was able to bend top, front, and bottom in one piece, thus making strong corners and giving it strength overall. Wasn't happy with one bend so decided to try again not tying corners together, thus allowing less bends in one piece. I also moved everything as far to sides as I could so as to make room for window. Well I remembered why dad hated framing pole barns as the poles being round its hard to keep things square. The doors are workable, but the woods framed ones were faster to build and stronger, although slightly heavier.

Not sure what I'll do, I'll decide over the weekend.

Sponsored

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Well frustrating day. On the other conduit door I was able to bend top, front, and bottom in one piece, thus making strong corners and giving it strength overall. Wasn't happy with one bend so decided to try again not tying corners together, thus allowing less bends in one piece. I also moved everything as far to sides as I could so as to make room for window. Well I remembered why dad hated framing pole barns as the poles being round its hard to keep things square. The doors are workable, but the woods framed ones were faster to build and stronger, although slightly heavier.

Not sure what I'll do, I'll decide over the weekend.
Any pics? Its neat to see your work in progress

OP
OP

mountainpass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport w/ Max Tow
Any pics? Its neat to see your work in progress
Sure but it's an example of what not to do. I think without strengthening the rear bottom that the rear top would pull out at speed. I think I will pull all that off that skin and try using a thinner wood and metal hybrid. Still noodling it over.
Jeep Gladiator Soft door build 20210819_223230

Jeep Gladiator Soft door build 20210819_223340

OP
OP

mountainpass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport w/ Max Tow
Ok so I tried another way reusing that skin just to see if I liked it better. Tried incorporating the conduit but finally decided agin it. The conduit was good in some ways but the skin conformed around it some(might notice in earlier pics) plus it was difficult to work with, both in bending and screwing. Wood on the other hand sits flat and is easy to screw. I think I have a good solution to keeping the door in a bend.
So this afternoon another trip to home depot has provided fresh skin, screws, and wood, so started the 5th door hopefully one I can live with. Should be gluing in the plexiglass tomorrow.
20210823_182710.jpg

And here's a close up of the truss headed screws I spoke about earlier in thread.
20210823_182720.jpg

OP
OP

mountainpass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport w/ Max Tow
Ok got the glass glued in yesterday but will give it another day to cure before testing it. I ended up buying https://www.homedepot.com/p/OPTIX-1...rylic-Sheet-Glass-Replacement-MC-05/202038047

And had to trim only a very small angle at front top. I wanted to do it without cutting but just didn't feel I had the room to push the frame out anymore. You can see I went back to my first solution on keeping the frame bent. I tried another solution but had some issues with it, plus made door thicker.

I also weighed this door and the first conduit one. And this one weighs approx 8 lbs and the conduit one about 7 lbs. I have a couple of weatherstripping options, not sure I've got the right ones yet, but will work on that later.
20210825_150114.jpg

20210825_145143.jpg

20210825_150245.jpg

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Ok got the glass glued in yesterday but will give it another day to cure before testing it. I ended up buying https://www.homedepot.com/p/OPTIX-1...rylic-Sheet-Glass-Replacement-MC-05/202038047

And had to trim only a very small angle at front top. I wanted to do it without cutting but just didn't feel I had the room to push the frame out anymore. You can see I went back to my first solution on keeping the frame bent. I tried another solution but had some issues with it, plus made door thicker.

I also weighed this door and the first conduit one. And this one weighs approx 8 lbs and the conduit one about 7 lbs. I have a couple of weatherstripping options, not sure I've got the right ones yet, but will work on that later.
Jeep Gladiator Soft door build 20210825_150245

Awesome progress!

Any thougts on weather sealing the top corners of the door? In the pictures they look rounded, where on the regular doors they are squared. Im not at my jeep at the moment but those seem like spots where rain would work its way in.
Sponsored