Sponsored

Strong, intermittent vibration that starts at 65MPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
I've searched the forums, so I apologize if someone else has experienced this with a solution. In my 2021 Gladiator, I get a very strong, intermittent vibration that starts 65MPH. It will settle after about a 1/2 mile; however, if I hit a bump or turn the wheel too much, think a big bend on the interstate, the vibration will come back and then settle. When I say 65 MPH, I can cover the speedometer and know exactly when I hit 65MPH.

I've had the wheels balanced multiple times. I took it to the dealership who said the front shocks were leaking, so I replaced those for over $800. I can't stand going to the dealership because it's such a hassle. I was thinking of trying a third mechanic, but before I do that, I wanted to see if anyone had any insight.

Thanks!
Sponsored

PuddleJumper

First Name
Cortlund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' JTM, 22' JTR, 22' F56S,
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Lockheed Martin ASW Test Technician
Vehicle Showcase
because it only happens at 65. I'd say tire balance or steering stabilizer. I'd take it off and and see if it goes away. If its was ball joint It'd be a pretty much any speed over 25. It could also be the track bar. make sure its tight. If it comes loose it will cause a random shimmy and it can walk an oval into its mounting holes. You'd have to get a steering reinforcement brack or something to correct it if its gone that far but i doubt it. TBH if theres any vibration and you've ruled out tires. Time to get under there with a torque wrench and make sure its all tight. Also you don't happen to have the aluminum steering box do u?

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
because it only happens at 65. I'd say tire balance or steering stabilizer. I'd take it off and and see if it goes away. If its was ball joint It'd be a pretty much any speed over 25. It could also be the track bar. make sure its tight. If it comes loose it will cause a random shimmy and it can walk an oval into its mounting holes. You'd have to get a steering reinforcement brack or something to correct it if its gone that far but i doubt it. TBH if theres any vibration and you've ruled out tires. Time to get under there with a torque wrench and make sure its all tight. Also you don't happen to have the aluminum steering box do u?
I should've prefaced that I'm mechanically inclined, but not mechanically intelligent, if that makes sense.

To be honest, I have no idea regarding the aluminum steering box.

And, by "take it off," you're referring to the steering stabilizer, correct?

PuddleJumper

First Name
Cortlund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I should've prefaced that I'm mechanically inclined, but not mechanically intelligent, if that makes sense.

To be honest, I have no idea regarding the aluminum steering box.

And, by "take it off," you're referring to the steering stabilizer, correct?
yes take off the stabilizer. either its the problem (which is extremely rare) or its masking the actual problem, like a loose ball joint or something.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
yes take off the stabilizer. either its the problem (which is extremely rare) or its masking the actual problem, like a loose ball joint or something.
Thank you!

I'll do that. It'll be Wednesday before I hit highway speeds again. I'll update on Wednesday.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Thanks for your quick replies. I should've also mentioned that I have the diesel engine. I'm not sure if that changes the diagnostic path.

PuddleJumper

First Name
Cortlund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for your quick replies. I should've also mentioned that I have the diesel engine. I'm not sure if that changes the diagnostic path.
It means you have a cast steering box so it rules that out as a culprit.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
@PuddleJumper - Took off stabilizer. Ride was much worse. Death wobble at 45mph after hitting a pot hole. A question on the stabilizer. Should I be able to easily manipulate it, as in contract and expand it? It was incredibly easy to do so.

PuddleJumper

First Name
Cortlund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
@PuddleJumper - Took off stabilizer. Ride was much worse. Death wobble at 45mph after hitting a pot hole. A question on the stabilizer. Should I be able to easily manipulate it, as in contract and expand it? It was incredibly easy to do so.
Yes you should be able to manipulate it but not easy. It’s likely on its way out from the issue causing your death wobble. The damper can only last so long hiding those vibrations. You may have bad ball joint and/ or bushings. You can take it in or you can look up on YouTube how to check each components. I would type it out but there’s a lot and a visual reference is quicker.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Yes you should be able to manipulate it but not easy. It’s likely on its way out from the issue causing your death wobble. The damper can only last so long hiding those vibrations. You may have bad ball joint and/ or bushings. You can take it in or you can look up on YouTube how to check each components. I would type it out but there’s a lot and a visual reference is quicker.
It was very easy to manipulate.

Greatly appreciate all of your time! You've been a tremendous help!

Sponsored

PuddleJumper

First Name
Cortlund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
It was very easy to manipulate.

Greatly appreciate all of your time! You've been a tremendous help!
Sure thing. Lemme know what you find or if there’s anything specific that YouTube may not cover.

kickingaz

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel, 2018 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Owner - New River Offroad
For what it's worth, I installed the FOX Factory Race Series 2.0 ATS Stablilizer on both my '21 JTRD and my wife's '18 JLUR. It was a great improvement on both.
Sponsored