Darel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT Rubi Sarge Green; '08 JK
Occupation
Military
I apologize for this bonehead question.

A 35-12.5/17 tire in p-metric size works out to a 315-70R17.

Why is the same tire (load range and all) in p-metric cheaper than the same tire in flotation sizing? Am I missing something? Are they just taking advantage of the "ain't gonna force that Commie metric system on me" attitude?

Case in point, looking at BFG A/T on Tire Rack (was just farting around, not really doing any comparison shopping). 35x12.5 LR E was a little over $10 more expensive than p-metric LR E in the 315s. And you couldn't get LR C in the 35s (not that I saw, in 11.5 seconds of looking), which ended up being over $20 cheaper than the Es.

Thanks,
Darel
Sponsored

Incommando

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sport max tow Sting-gray, ‘95 YJ
I can understand the C being cheaper but for the E rasted tires to not be equal is weird.

OP
OP

Darel

First Name
Darel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT Rubi Sarge Green; '08 JK
Occupation
Military
If anyone cares, I think I figured it out. For some reason the BFG ATs I was looking at in flotation sizing are listed as "raised white letter" and the p-metric version of the same tire is "black sidewall". I didn't even know BFG made ATs without the white letters, just assumed people turned the white letters in. That might account for the slight price difference.

Thing that really sucks, I love me some white block letters and always have since BFG did that ad campaign back in the early '90s featuring various brightly-colored monochromatic cars against identical colored backgrounds. I used to buy magazines and take those centerfold ads out and I had them covering the walls in my dorm room in college. However, it looks like now I have to get flotation sizing (no big deal) AND load range E? Can't find LR C in the white letters and either metric or flotation 35".
Sponsored