D10S86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge gladiator, x3
Occupation
Controller
Vehicle Showcase
Man, as much as I absolutely love the gladiator I still feel I need to research the Tacoma a little bit more before I buy in a few months. This forum has been extremely useful thus far and I’d love to find a forum of similar quality for the Tacoma. Can anyone recommend a good Tacoma forum?
Sponsored

JCHGlad

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Occupation
Real Estate sales/Development
You don’t need to the forums, go drive them both, then come back here and let us know your honest impressions.

Last edited:

JBOverland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland Gladiator
You need to know what you want in your next truck. Gladiator has more room, better tech, removable top, more capable off road (depending on situation and modes), and you would be part of the Jeep club. Tacoma has reliability, better fuel efficiency (not by much), and is a lot less expensive once you add options to the gladiator. I have twin 7 year olds and they just don’t fit well in the back of the Tacoma but no issue in back seat of Gladiator. We also live close to the beach and want a fun vehicle for beach days and outdoor adventures with the kids and Gladiator provides more fun factor. Now you just have to justify the $10k or more extra.

MojaveBart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave, Ducati Panigale 1199s, Harley-Davidson 114 Fatboy, Harley-Davidson FLSS, Aprilia Tuono Factory, Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports
+1 You definitely need to know what YOU want in a truck. I was in the same boat just a couple months ago. The Tacoma is rock solid when it comes to reliability. But for me there was no "excitement". It was truly a mid-sized Pick Up truck when it came to functionality. I like being able to take the top off my JT, I like the creature comforts. The Tacoma's interior and electronics if you will are all very dated. The Tacoma needs an update.

You need to know what you want in your next truck. Gladiator has more room, better tech, removable top, more capable off road (depending on situation and modes), and you would be part of the Jeep club. Tacoma has reliability, better fuel efficiency (not by much), and is a lot less expensive once you add options to the gladiator. I have twin 7 year olds and they just don’t fit well in the back of the Tacoma but no issue in back seat of Gladiator. We also live close to the beach and want a fun vehicle for beach days and outdoor adventures with the kids and Gladiator provides more fun factor. Now you just have to justify the $10k or more extra.

Sponsored

RVCA_ZR

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 80th Anniversary Gladiator
Occupation
IT
I have owned 3 Tacoma's (2010, 2011, 2013) and 3 Jeeps (2012 2drJK, 2020 2drJLR, and now my 2021 JT). I test drove every mid size truck but the ridgeline but lets be honest, thats ugly. So all other mid size trucks, the ranger has terrible quality issue on the interior and feels dated, the colorado/canyon once again felt dated but I did like the seats, the tacoma has the least amount of leg room in the double cab which didnt work as well with my car seat and the gladiator was the best interior IMO, with the most updated features, plus Mo leg room baby. Tacomaworld is great and spent many years browsing there but much happier with the Jeep, especially in summer with no top and doors! Also mid size trucks are the only ones that will fit in my garage, make sure you check that if its important to you.

OP
OP
D10S86

D10S86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge gladiator, x3
Occupation
Controller
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks, you bring up some valid points. The gladiator cabin does seem pretty small, that was one reason why I wanted to look at the Tacoma. Maybe I need to see the numbers online and also check one out at the dealership to see for myself but sounds like you put it to the test with kids already and gladiator has the room. The other thing is the $10k more issue. I can fit an overland in my budget or a TRD pro, not a fair comparison IMO, the TRD pro takes that matchup when it comes to options and performance but of course, doesn’t have a lot of the fun factors that jeep brings to the table

OP
OP
D10S86

D10S86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge gladiator, x3
Occupation
Controller
Vehicle Showcase
+1 You definitely need to know what YOU want in a truck. I was in the same boat just a couple months ago. The Tacoma is rock solid when it comes to reliability. But for me there was no "excitement". It was truly a mid-sized Pick Up truck when it came to functionality. I like being able to take the top off my JT, I like the creature comforts. The Tacoma's interior and electronics if you will are all very dated. The Tacoma needs an update.
I read an article yesterday that said Jeep’s warrant no longer covers mud damage and I’ve read some negative reviews on Yelp of people having to take their JT back to the dealership soon after purchase to have them look at mechanical issues. Being that you mentioned Tacoma is extremely reliable, would you say the same about the gladiator or are they prone to more issues?

OP
OP
D10S86

D10S86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge gladiator, x3
Occupation
Controller
Vehicle Showcase
I have owned 3 Tacoma's (2010, 2011, 2013) and 3 Jeeps (2012 2drJK, 2020 2drJLR, and now my 2021 JT). I test drove every mid size truck but the ridgeline but lets be honest, thats ugly. So all other mid size trucks, the ranger has terrible quality issue on the interior and feels dated, the colorado/canyon once again felt dated but I did like the seats, the tacoma has the least amount of leg room in the double cab which didnt work as well with my car seat and the gladiator was the best interior IMO, with the most updated features, plus Mo leg room baby. Tacomaworld is great and spent many years browsing there but much happier with the Jeep, especially in summer with no top and doors! Also mid size trucks are the only ones that will fit in my garage, make sure you check that if its important to you.
Dang dude, you’ve had a lot of trucks, nice! Being that you owned three Tacoma’s it sounds like you are sure the gladiator is the better ride, good to hear. I’m with you on the whole idea of removing the top and doors during the summer. My major concern there is safety and I wonder if I’ll even ever use that cool feature anyways. I have Teo younger kids that would love the idea but then again, I don’t think I’d do it with them in the car. I saw a few options for doors you can out of that are basically just a frame to put in place of the removed door but I don’t know, something about that still screams danger to me and really not worth the risk for a drive to the beach (30 min. Drive for me) or ride around town.

JBOverland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland Gladiator
Why would you not take the top and doors off with kids? I take the rope off the Jeep with my twins in the back. My neighbor has car seats in the back of his wrangler with no top or doors (it is a secondary vehicle). If you are that cautious then go Tacoma. As far as the reliability, I have owned a 4Runner and tacoma. Both had some issues. Yes Jeeps have issues but a lot of it is from mods and people using them like Jeep’s. If you mall crawl it like people do most vehicles you are ok. But a Jeep will not drive like a Tacoma. Again, you pay for the fun factor.

Sponsored

Deleted member 24880

My son just bought a Tacoma and it’s a nice looking truck but I’m not impressed at all. The thing is so under powered IMO compared to my Gladiator. The power ban is way up there in rpms. It was about $6k cheaper than my Gladiator before I added all my stuff so that was a big factor in him buying the Tacoma. At the end of the day he would have bought a Gladiator many times over but could only afford the Tacoma.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
Why would you not take the top and doors off with kids? I take the rope off the Jeep with my twins in the back. My neighbor has car seats in the back of his wrangler with no top or doors (it is a secondary vehicle). If you are that cautious then go Tacoma. As far as the reliability, I have owned a 4Runner and tacoma. Both had some issues. Yes Jeeps have issues but a lot of it is from mods and people using them like Jeep’s. If you mall crawl it like people do most vehicles you are ok. But a Jeep will not drive like a Tacoma. Again, you pay for the fun factor.
My Twin 9 year olds and 6 year old love the jeep without doors and top unless it is too cold out about 8 solid months a year here. Its one of their favorite things. They even laugh at every jeep we pass not like that calling them lame, lol.

If it were not for the convertible aspect I would have absolutely gotten a tacoma, but due to the convertible aspect nothing else was even on my radar.

JCHGlad

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Occupation
Real Estate sales/Development
My son just bought a Tacoma and it’s a nice looking truck but I’m not impressed at all. The thing is so under powered IMO compared to my Gladiator. The power ban is way up there in rpms. It was about $6k cheaper than my Gladiator before I added all my stuff so that was a big factor in him buying the Tacoma. At the end of the day he would have bought a Gladiator many times over but could only afford the Tacoma.
I shopped one hard, they are good trucks, but smaller (interior), and the engine/transmission as well as about everything else is archaic on that truck, couple that with the fun factor of the Jeep which imho is completely lacking on the taco it was an easy choice...it was more money, but the taco is old and outdated tech and drivetrain, so I didn’t mind paying the up charge and having the topless/doorless benefits....The taco will fall much closer inline with the Gladiator when it’s redone, right now it’s like comparing JK prices to a JL.

RVCA_ZR

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 80th Anniversary Gladiator
Occupation
IT
Dang dude, you’ve had a lot of trucks, nice! Being that you owned three Tacoma’s it sounds like you are sure the gladiator is the better ride, good to hear. I’m with you on the whole idea of removing the top and doors during the summer. My major concern there is safety and I wonder if I’ll even ever use that cool feature anyways. I have Teo younger kids that would love the idea but then again, I don’t think I’d do it with them in the car. I saw a few options for doors you can out of that are basically just a frame to put in place of the removed door but I don’t know, something about that still screams danger to me and really not worth the risk for a drive to the beach (30 min. Drive for me) or ride around town.
Im having my first kid here in a few days actually. I went through all the safety for every truck. The Jeep doesnt have rear side impact airbags, all the other trucks do. I know its not the safest truck on the road but its a 2021, its much more safe than a lot of other things out there you see kids in. Besides I also have a 2020 Titanium Ford Escape so thats the "safe"car. I dont plan on having the doors off with the little one for at least the first couple years but after 3ish I think it will be alright for small trips, nothing highway related. The top most likely only the front two freedom panels. Until then I will take off everything when its just me and the wife has the kiddo in the escape. I bought the Gladiator as a long term truck I can enjoy now for myself and later with the family

Dewyaw

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave, 2015 Jeep Wrangler Hard Rock; 1987 Jeep Wrangler Laredo; 1988 Porsche 911, 2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro, 1994 Toyota Pickup 4x4. Not all at the same time.