Topper Advice

ncrambler

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Jeep newbie here. Bought my first Jeep back in the spring, really like this thing so far! This Gladdy was bought as a dual purpose truck. Will use as a daily driver and also as a camper truck. No hardcore overlanding, my intensions are to haul my dual sport out to Colorado and ride the passes. I will use the truck as base camp and ride out from there camping off my bike as needed. In researching what would be the best set-up for me I have obtain a severe case of info overload to say the least. And have already spent way too much money on paper. Really don't want or need a hard topper as I still use this as a truck and need access to the bed, but, still want to have the ability to have covered storage and some security when needed. Narrowed this down to a softopper or Tourneau cover. Have read mixed reviews on both of these, so, I'm in a quandary as to what will be the most functional for my needs. Looking for some help from members with more experience than I have. Let the comments and suggestions roll...... Thanks guys!
Sponsored

Hipbilly

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport, 2007 FJ Cruiser
I’m really liking mine, it’s the bestop super top in premium twill.
I have the soft top on my truck, so the fabric was a no-brainer.
Between this and the softopper, I’d pick this again because there’s no Velcro on the tailgate. There is a crossbar you have to remove to fully access the bed, though.
I’ve never folded the softopper up, but this one truly is a one person, one hand operation to fold down and back up.

Jeep Gladiator Topper Advice 1A704EC4-760E-410F-9A16-690C419D3497

OP
OP

ncrambler

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
I’m really liking mine, it’s the bestop super top in premium twill.
I have the soft top on my truck, so the fabric was a no-brainer.
Between this and the softopper, I’d pick this again because there’s no Velcro on the tailgate. There is a crossbar you have to remove to fully access the bed, though.
I’ve never folded the softopper up, but this one truly is a one person, one hand operation to fold down and back up.

Jeep Gladiator Topper Advice 1A704EC4-760E-410F-9A16-690C419D3497
Thanks for the info. Can't tell by photo, does your's have the windows in the side or is it solid?

Hipbilly

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
....does your's have the windows in the side or is it solid?
Solid fabric sides. They unzip and roll up, or completely remove.
The one major downside is the FRONT panel does not open or remove, so there's no option for a pass-through from the cab to the shell. I was really hoping to be able to ride in the back safari style, and still converse with the cab (just the back window out there).
Jeep Gladiator Topper Advice open

OP
OP

ncrambler

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
The one major downside is the FRONT panel does not open or remove, so there's no option for a pass-through from the cab to the shell. I was really hoping to be able to ride in the back safari style, and still converse with the cab (just the back window out there).
Hate to keep bugging you on this....How about water intrusion? I would love to camp out of the bed instead of having to set up my tent as I will be moving almost every day. Thanks.

Sponsored

Hipbilly

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
....How about water intrusion?
Got some rain the other day.... the back seal will leak if you leave the little nylon strappy things tucked under the seal, they wick water in.
There was some water coming in the sides somewhere, I've not narrowed down exactly where though. there's a 1/4" thick foam gasket along the side rails, and a rubber seal at the front and tailgate rails.

Regarding sleeping... You'd have to get some flavor of annex to cover the open tailgate; Softopper does offer a specific tent for this, and I'm sure it'd fit on the supertop, but there's no laying flat in a 5' bed. Unless you're 4'11"

Bestop

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
The Bestop Team
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU
Looks great!!!

Lee
- the Bestop team
www.bestop.com

OP
OP

ncrambler

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Got some rain the other day.... the back seal will leak if you leave the little nylon strappy things tucked under the seal, they wick water in.
There was some water coming in the sides somewhere, I've not narrowed down exactly where though. there's a 1/4" thick foam gasket along the side rails, and a rubber seal at the front and tailgate rails.

Regarding sleeping... You'd have to get some flavor of annex to cover the open tailgate; Softopper does offer a specific tent for this, and I'm sure it'd fit on the supertop, but there's no laying flat in a 5' bed. Unless you're 4'11"
Thanks for taking your time to answer my questions.

Longleaf

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE, 2018 Desert Sled
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
I've got a softopper and I have no complaints. I have a decked box too, so I couldn't even have a cooler in the back with a regular tonneau cover.
My only issue with all of the soft cover options is carrying things on top. Yes, there are some options out there for racks that work with covers (or DatinFab for the softtops). But by the time you buy all of that you're getting pretty close to Alu-Cab/ RSI Smartcap money. If you think you'll ever want to carry a canoe/ rtt/ long construction material, etc. on top- make sure you do all the math. I think an Alu-Cab shell would've been a better fit for me if I had it all to do over again.

OP
OP

ncrambler

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
I've got a softopper and I have no complaints. I have a decked box too, so I couldn't even have a cooler in the back with a regular tonneau cover.
My only issue with all of the soft cover options is carrying things on top. Yes, there are some options out there for racks that work with covers (or DatinFab for the softtops). But by the time you buy all of that you're getting pretty close to Alu-Cab/ RSI Smartcap money. If you think you'll ever want to carry a canoe/ rtt/ long construction material, etc. on top- make sure you do all the math. I think an Alu-Cab shell would've been a better fit for me if I had it all to do over again.
Valid point, thanks for the input.

Sponsored

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
i have a ARE topper, and sleep in the bed, and pull the dirtbike or big bike on a 5x8 trailer. I have found that works best for me, hard top is good in rain and also lets you stack stuff up in the back above the bed line and have a strong and secure area to keep stuff when riding.

I have two plastic totes i use to store tools and crap in, and pull them out of the back of the truck and use them as steps into the bed when camped.

I don't worry about the topper limiting the bed access as I have the utility trailer to do double duty for that, which frankly is way better (and lower) for hauling crap with.

Alternatively I have been considering getting a hitch mount bike rack so I don't have to deal with getting into tight spots with a trailer.

The soft top stuff is just to much of a compromise for me. Plus they look like crap right quick here in AZ with the sun and brown dust that gets into everything.

I use a thing called "foot box" I found on amazon to give me that extra 16" i need to lay in the back stretched out.

OP
OP

ncrambler

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
i have a ARE topper, and sleep in the bed, and pull the dirtbike or big bike on a 5x8 trailer. I have found that works best for me, hard top is good in rain and also lets you stack stuff up in the back above the bed line and have a strong and secure area to keep stuff when riding.

I have two plastic totes i use to store tools and crap in, and pull them out of the back of the truck and use them as steps into the bed when camped.

I don't worry about the topper limiting the bed access as I have the utility trailer to do double duty for that, which frankly is way better (and lower) for hauling crap with.

Alternatively I have been considering getting a hitch mount bike rack so I don't have to deal with getting into tight spots with a trailer.

The soft top stuff is just to much of a compromise for me. Plus they look like crap right quick here in AZ with the sun and brown dust that gets into everything.

I use a thing called "foot box" I found on amazon to give me that extra 16" i need to lay in the back stretched out.
Good thoughts on your setup. I just bought this carrier because I didn't want to have to deal with a trailer. I guess the security of a hard cover for all my gear is swaying me to the hard cover side. the cost of these jut makes my wallet scream. I shouldn't be a tight ass and just bite the bullet. Thanks for your input.

spectre6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
pending
One way to maybe temper your thinking on the subject is your use case percentages. MOST people who buy trucks only use them as trucks sub-1% of the time. These are people who would be far better off saving their buying bucks and fueling bucks on something different. This logic gets thrown around with some frequency, but it's extensible to other things as well. If you put tall things in your bed a lot, a topper may be an issue, but if your bed holds tall things less than 1% of the time, get a cheap trailer.

I get a hard top for all my trucks. It's rare that it's a load limitation, but your use case may (definitely does) differ from mine. I'm not worried about security as much as snow and dust. I've never had a load that I couldn't deal with somehow, but you can always buy/rent a little trailer for those instances.

OP
OP

ncrambler

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
One way to maybe temper your thinking on the subject is your use case percentages. MOST people who buy trucks only use them as trucks sub-1% of the time. These are people who would be far better off saving their buying bucks and fueling bucks on something different. This logic gets thrown around with some frequency, but it's extensible to other things as well. If you put tall things in your bed a lot, a topper may be an issue, but if your bed holds tall things less than 1% of the time, get a cheap trailer.

I get a hard top for all my trucks. It's rare that it's a load limitation, but your use case may (definitely does) differ from mine. I'm not worried about security as much as snow and dust. I've never had a load that I couldn't deal with somehow, but you can always buy/rent a little trailer for those instances.
Words of reason, something I have a hard time with :LOL: thanks for the input. And your spot on with your thinking. I won't use this hauling anything super big, have a f350 dually for that. You make a very good point weighing the percentage of use. With reflection, aside from small packages/box's this thing will be used for camping and hauling my cycles around.
Sponsored