Very Surprised! Not Really.....

Hawkeyes3312

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
We're at 2200 miles on our JT and I wash all of our Jeeps regularly (not that automatic BS). I expected the Mopar tonneau to be water resistant and not water proof. I have checked the bed after every washing and have been pleasantly surprised as I haven't even found a drop of water inside. Additionally, there has been considerable pooling on top of the cover but the interior has remained completely dry. I guess I expected some water here and there but, so far, nothing! Very happy with the OEM product right now.
Sponsored

Rokon

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
We're at 2200 miles on our JT and I wash all of our Jeeps regularly (not that automatic BS). I expected the Mopar tonneau to be water resistant and not water proof. I have checked the bed after every washing and have been pleasantly surprised as I haven't even found a drop of water inside. Additionally, there has been considerable pooling on top of the cover but the interior has remained completely dry. I guess I expected some water here and there but, so far, nothing! Very happy with the OEM product right now.
I have found this to be true with mine also. Between torrential downpours on the highway and no holds barred squirting with a hose the bed has stayed totally dry.

BrichJeepUtopia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
How tight is your tonneau? I just picked up my truck, haven't had any rain yet (in Texas, so probably wont for some time). Mine seems to bubble up a bit on the edge while on the highway, seems to be between the first and second cross bars. by the looks of it, seems like it would be plenty of lift for water to get in there. it also seems to blow around/flap a little at highway speeds. looking at in the driveway, I can lift up that section pretty easily with my thumb and see right into the bed. When latching it, it doesnt take much pressure at all to get the latches to engage. Should it be tighter than this?? do I need to make a trip back to the dealer?

OP
OP
Hawkeyes3312

Hawkeyes3312

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
How tight is your tonneau? I just picked up my truck, haven't had any rain yet (in Texas, so probably wont for some time). Mine seems to bubble up a bit on the edge while on the highway, seems to be between the first and second cross bars. by the looks of it, seems like it would be plenty of lift for water to get in there. it also seems to blow around/flap a little at highway speeds. looking at in the driveway, I can lift up that section pretty easily with my thumb and see right into the bed. When latching it, it doesnt take much pressure at all to get the latches to engage. Should it be tighter than this?? do I need to make a trip back to the dealer?
I think my answer will revolve around your comment on latching. Our tonneau is tight to the point where my wife has a difficult time doing it by herself. She's able to get one side ready to go with a bit of fight, but the other side is not engaged properly so she ends up going back and forth until luck takes over. I would say half the time I have do a bit of adjusting to lock it down as well. I think this points to the difference in experience that we are having. We're in NC and get PLENTY of torrential downpours and I am also using a pressure washer while cleaning it and I, literally, have never found a drop of water on the inside (that's not an exaggeration). You actually have me thinking that over time, perhaps mine won't be as water tight?!?! We're at opposite ends of the spectrum here so perhaps I wouldn't have known your experience is/is not normal based upon mine. I think it's worth a shot to speak with your dealer.

BrichJeepUtopia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
I think my answer will revolve around your comment on latching. Our tonneau is tight to the point where my wife has a difficult time doing it by herself. She's able to get one side ready to go with a bit of fight, but the other side is not engaged properly so she ends up going back and forth until luck takes over. I would say half the time I have do a bit of adjusting to lock it down as well. I think this points to the difference in experience that we are having. We're in NC and get PLENTY of torrential downpours and I am also using a pressure washer while cleaning it and I, literally, have never found a drop of water on the inside (that's not an exaggeration). You actually have me thinking that over time, perhaps mine won't be as water tight?!?! We're at opposite ends of the spectrum here so perhaps I wouldn't have known your experience is/is not normal based upon mine. I think it's worth a shot to speak with your dealer.

thanks for the info. Mine takes zero effort or fight to get the plastic levers into their seats for latching it down. I think you're right, I might have to take it over there and see if the dealer can tighten it up somehow. To my untrained eye, I can't see any adjustment points.

Sponsored

uplandgunner

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Mine is pretty water tight but dust....well that's another story, it gets in there and is everywhere. I'm not bitching just saying it breathes at a smaller level than water.

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram TRX, 2020 Gladiator LE
Vehicle Showcase
thanks for the info. Mine takes zero effort or fight to get the plastic levers into their seats for latching it down. I think you're right, I might have to take it over there and see if the dealer can tighten it up somehow. To my untrained eye, I can't see any adjustment points.
Make sure you hear a distinctive “click” when you push down after you’ve aligned the plastic guides. If you don’t then it’s not locked in place.

BrichJeepUtopia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Make sure you hear a distinctive “click” when you push down after you’ve aligned the plastic guides. If you don’t then it’s not locked in place.
thank you! but yes, it definitely clicks on both sides. just not very much tension on it.
Sponsored