Sponsored

Warn Winch Comparo

FLUndertaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport, 1986 Jeep CJ7
Its been years, like 10-12 since I had to consider a winch purchase so I am way out of date on my knowledge. Does anyone know the major differences, aside from the price, between the Warn models, Evo, Zeon, Zeon Platinum, and M series? I am pretty much set on a synthetic line 12,000 lb model.
Sponsored

Vicegrips

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
not gainfully employed. Too old, been there done that.
I have an EVO 12s, new this fall. EVO made offshore, but I figured Warn would insist on sufficient QC giving me a good shot that it will work when I need it, and there would be repair parts available thru Warn or their dealer/service facilities. I put the value of those things at enough dollars that the competing winches wouldn't save me enough with lower price to compensate. YMMV. It's my understanding the Zeon and up are made in USA, though Warn's site is the definitive word on this. I believe the Platinum series has upgraded components from the standard Zeon. I didn't investigate the M series due to price considerations.

My use for the winch is self-recovery, assistance when requested when off-roading, and helping out friends and neighbors who might slide off the road and not have hours or bux for a tow. So my needs are intermittent rather than frequent commercial use for which the Zeon might be better suited. The difference in price between 10k and 12k was far less important than extra capacity. More power! Arf, arf arf!

I'm definitely in the synthetic line camp. In addition to safety, its easy to work with. I've made a fid from a giant knitting needle, bought a 100 ft 3/8" dyneema replacement winch line for not so much $, cut it in half and made two winch extensions splicing eyes at cut ends. I wanted one extension anyway. Now I have an extra, and I learned how to splice and repair synthetic rope in the field. I hope that skill will not be needed!

I'm confident you'll pick what works for your needs and budget. I'm quite happy with my EVO 12s even with just a couple of pulls under its belt. Safe travels!