Water and Profanity

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
So had the JT out in really the first big rainstorm its been in since we have been in just hot and dry for the past months. I forgot to warn my passenger that upon opening the door forum members have said a flood would pour into the JT. Well opened the door and was quickly trying to get out when the flood came. It poured all over them. Man the cursing that went on after that about who the bleep designs a door to do that, etc, etc. I on the other hand remembered it and opened my door but didn't rush to get out I just let the water pour into the waterproof mats and moved my leg (LOL).

I have a feeling they are not going to be riding with me anymore if there is a chance of rain
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I noticed that with mine the rain has to be heavy and the water actually doesn't get to the floor directly, it drips on the door opening.
Some seem to be saying the water actually drips to the floor mats - mine does not. It's a drip, yeah you'd get wet, but not inside.
In other words, you can open my doors and if you don't move, you won't get wet as it drips next to the plastic sill plates I installed since these don't come with them.

Jabakkarabbit

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Twice I've had the top back and the rain started. Apparently the water resistant radio gets wet and tends to not work all that well on the 8.4" screen. The first time the station wouldn't change on the touch screen until a few hours later. The second time none of the touch screen worked. Luckily it fixed itself.

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
Yep, this is probably the thing I hate the most about the JT. I actually don’t drive it when it’s raining unless I have to because of this...

Interestingly enough it doesn’t do it when the window is down. How do I know this? Was at chick fil a... it’s was a monsoon. The lady ran out with the food (Was doing curbside pickup) and I rolled down the window prepared to get soaked, the rain ran down the frame.

Whoever comes up with a mod or fix for this is going to sell one to over 50% of the JL and JT owners!!!

Reactions: BAT

Sponsored

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I noticed that with mine the rain has to be heavy and the water actually doesn't get to the floor directly, it drips on the door opening.
Some seem to be saying the water actually drips to the floor mats - mine does not. It's a drip, yeah you'd get wet, but not inside.
In other words, you can open my doors and if you don't move, you won't get wet as it drips next to the plastic sill plates I installed since these don't come with them.
not sure how yours doesn’t do this. Either you haven’t been out when it’s been raining enough or you are parking on an off angle surface. My garage is completely level and it evenly comes in both doors, right on the mat, not on the sil.

it’s to the point where if my wife and I are out and it’s pouring, we wait in the garage for 15-20 seconds to let the rain drain off the channels.

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I live in Northern California, We have not had any measurable rain in over 8 months. We are currently on fire again. I envy any place that has rain.
man, in Virginia, this has been the rainiest year I can remember. Didn’t have to water the yard or garden once!

OP
OP

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I live in Northern California, We have not had any measurable rain in over 8 months. We are currently on fire again. I envy any place that has rain.
Yea we were not getting much rain down here in South Texas for some time and now we are getting like 8" in a couple of hours. Course once the Storm passes will be back to dry again but hopefully a little cooler

Sponsored

OP
OP

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep, this is probably the thing I hate the most about the JT. I actually don’t drive it when it’s raining unless I have to because of this...

Interestingly enough it doesn’t do it when the window is down. How do I know this? Was at chick fil a... it’s was a monsoon. The lady ran out with the food (Was doing curbside pickup) and I rolled down the window prepared to get soaked, the rain ran down the frame.

Whoever comes up with a mod or fix for this is going to sell one to over 50% of the JL and JT owners!!!
I'll buy one. Maybe I need to see if someone I know has a 3D printer or something that maybe can create something to extend that channel a bit further. I saw someplace on here awhile back I think someone was working some kind of fix but it didn't look like it was an easy thing. I guess I will have to tell my wife if she is riding with me in the rain or maybe not see what kind of reaction

Hawkeyes3312

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Same here

fun2drum

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Yes!

It reminds me of my old Smokey and the Bandit Trans Am with T-tops I used to have many years ago. Water would fill up the top channel and when you opened the door it would run right into your lap. It was a LOT of water, and the curvature of the top centered it almost right over, well you know. I had a few dates who cussed like a sailor at that car when they opened their door in the rain. They were plenty okay with it when the sun was out though.

Back on topic - I think my JT was doing it worse with the Freedom Panels in. Now that I have the Bestop Sunrider I don't think it's quite as much water collecting and running out. I'll be putting the Freedom Panels back in for the winter months so I'll try to pay attention to whatever difference there may be, because I admit this could be my imagination.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
not sure how yours doesn’t do this. Either you haven’t been out when it’s been raining enough or you are parking on an off angle surface. My garage is completely level and it evenly comes in both doors, right on the mat, not on the sil.

it’s to the point where if my wife and I are out and it’s pouring, we wait in the garage for 15-20 seconds to let the rain drain off the channels.
Uh, u forgot this is Iowa? And i was out in our derecho?
And we recently had a 3" rain? And i was out in that. Mine does not hit the mat.

OP
OP

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes!

It reminds me of my old Smokey and the Bandit Trans Am with T-tops I used to have many years ago. Water would fill up the top channel and when you opened the door it would run right into your lap. It was a LOT of water, and the curvature of the top centered it almost right over, well you know. I had a few dates who cussed like a sailor at that car when they opened their door in the rain. They were plenty okay with it when the sun was out though.

Back on topic - I think my JT was doing it worse with the Freedom Panels in. Now that I have the Bestop Sunrider I don't think it's quite as much water collecting and running out. I'll be putting the Freedom Panels back in for the winter months so I'll try to pay attention to whatever difference there may be, because I admit this could be my imagination.
I have the soft top on mine and man it poured into the cab thank goodness I remembered reading something about that on the forums. I opened my door and moved to the side otherwise my leg would have gotten soaked.
Sponsored