Sponsored

What is the hard top made of? Fiberglass?

Yellow1098

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Silver Sport S, 77 trans am, Ducati 1098
The title says it all….what material is the hard top made of? It is fiberglass correct???I have a small crack in it and wanted to fill/repair it. As well as paint the white part inside….Has anyone done this? And what material did you use for the repair? I was thinking the fiberglass repair from JB weld? Has anyone on here painted it? And do you have any pics? Thank you as always!
Sponsored

TheRealStreetcommander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
None of your business.
Yes, fiberglass. From the smell on a hot day, I believe it’s a polyester rather than vinylester resin.

It smells wonderful.

DarthAWM

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Oilfield Service
They are SMC, sheet molded composite. Very similar to fiberglass, different bonding agent(not polyester resin) and different fiber arrangement.

OP
OP
Yellow1098

Yellow1098

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Silver Sport S, 77 trans am, Ducati 1098
They are SMC, sheet molded composite. Very similar to fiberglass, different bonding agent(not polyester resin) and different fiber arrangement.

I figured it was a slightly different or unique compound that jeep used instead of straight fiber glasss because they make so many of them….would that change the repair of it? Or would fiberglass repair work the same?

DarthAWM

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Oilfield Service
I figured it was a slightly different or unique compound that jeep used instead of straight fiber glasss because they make so many of them….would that change the repair of it? Or would fiberglass repair work the same?
Maybe a little, I'm not an expert other than other vehicles I've owned are made of the same stuff(Corvettes, Jet Skis) I'm sure Dr. Google can bring you some help that way.
Sponsored