Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Site superintendent
Vehicle Showcase
Looking to purchase a set of wheels and I really like Black Rhino "Abrams"...….but I am totally confused !
Sooooo, I went onto Black Rhino's website, and this is what I found...….

ALL of the Abrams wheels have a -18 offset and are backspaced 4.54"....the ONLY difference is the rim diameter.....17", 18" or 20" (and obviously the bolt pattern)

Yet, when you go to the "gallery",.... on some wheels the lip, to the face of the wheel look to be about 1".....yet on other wheels there is about 2-3" of space between the lip, and the face of the rim !! What is this sorcery?? How is this possible if ALL the wheels have the same offset/backspace setup ??

It's definitely NOT "camera angle", as there are multiple pictures.....and I can understand if a truck is a SEMA or "race team" vehicle that its possible they might have had a "one off" set made....but MOST of the vehicles shown are everyday trucks !!

My local 4WP store doesn't have a set that I can look at in person.....and I'm NOT going to order $1300 worth of rims, and find out I don't like the look.

What Gives ????
Sponsored

Benbean66

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 Honda CB350, '88 RHD YJ, '88 YJ, 2020 JT Spor
Occupation
Railroad Equipment Operator
Vehicle Showcase
Are there different widths with those wheels? I know there is a big difference in the wheels I got (Fuel Shok) in the lip on the 17's x 9's and the 17" x 10's. I went with the 10" wide because I liked the deep dish look. They are -18mm as well, so they do stick out a good bit, but I like the look of the wheel/tire fitment.

KIMG1701.JPG

Phred

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Green Gladiator Rubicon
They have to be different widths.

For example, I have Black Rhino's but ordered them in 8" with a +30mm in order to keep the tire poke to a minimum.

Phred

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh, also, some guys like the skateboard look and may add spacers? Just a thought.

Phred

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
and I'm NOT going to order $1300 worth of rims, and find out I don't like the look.
Do the math using a tire calculator...if done right, it really does work. I was nervous and can understand your dilemma but it worked out to the exact measurements I calculated.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DaddyG

DaddyG

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Site superintendent
Vehicle Showcase
Do the math using a tire calculator...if done right, it really does work. I was nervous and can understand your dilemma but it worked out to the exact measurements I calculated.
Phred, I think I'd need more info for that.....there's no way to tell how thick the actual mounting plate is on the wheel, or how thick the metal is.

The rim is 9.5"
the backspace is 4.54" (a bit less than half of the rim width)
Offset is -18 (roughly 3/4")

there's really no way to tell how much of the flat surface just inside the lip is showing !

OP
OP
DaddyG

DaddyG

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Site superintendent
Vehicle Showcase
Are there different widths with those wheels? I know there is a big difference in the wheels I got (Fuel Shok) in the lip on the 17's x 9's and the 17" x 10's. I went with the 10" wide because I liked the deep dish look. They are -18mm as well, so they do stick out a good bit, but I like the look of the wheel/tire fitment.

Jeep Gladiator Wheels question..... KIMG1701.JPG
Black Rhino's website is showing for their Abrams wheel, there is only one width.....9.5".
Multiple rim diameters 17", 18" and 20"......but the offset and backspacing is EXACTLY the same on all of them.......-18 and 4.54" respectively.....that's why I can't understand why some look awesome.....and others...well, not so much !

OP
OP
DaddyG

DaddyG

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Site superintendent
Vehicle Showcase
They have to be different widths.

For example, I have Black Rhino's but ordered them in 8" with a +30mm in order to keep the tire poke to a minimum.
According to the tech sheet on Black Rhino's website the Abrams wheel only comes in one width......9.5".
Spacers aren't going to do anything except push the entire wheel out further.....

MR GRANITE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave Gobi
The wheels are all 9.5 wide so they are going to have same offset if they are all -18 and same backspacing. I think what you are seeing is the bigger diameter wheels like the 20’s make it look like more lip because of larger rim opening. Also tire width changes the appearance. I looked at the gallery pics also agree some look different but it is because of rim diameter appearance.

Phred

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Phred, I think I'd need more info for that.....there's no way to tell how thick the actual mounting plate is on the wheel, or how thick the metal is.

The rim is 9.5"
the backspace is 4.54" (a bit less than half of the rim width)
Offset is -18 (roughly 3/4")

there's really no way to tell how much of the flat surface just inside the lip is showing !
No, the back space if from the inside mounting surface to inside rim edge.

If you have that, and the rim width, you can get accurate tire poke.

Wheel width - back space = front space.

Offset simply moves front set and backset but if you have both frontset and backset, you can determine tire poke. You can't however determine tire poke with just offset.

Don't over think it.

Sponsored

BrandonG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator
I know exactly what the op is talking about , I will let you know tonight when I pick up mine ( 17/9.5 armoury ) . I like them either way tbh

BrandonG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator
So to my surprise when I picked up my truck they installed the wrong rims .... arsenals were sent in boxes marked armoury . Turns out in person I like the arsenals much better and they are quite a bit lighter so win for me lol . They were obv willing to swap them . They both had the same lip so the pics of the deeper lip are from a 12 wide rim

E63C6922-FD4E-4A96-83B1-CD7CC5BAC1B7.jpeg

3C25E308-6C62-4E6A-B80A-020E57FF211B.jpeg

4D059AE4-2099-4C86-91F1-567594A76B17.png
Sponsored