Sponsored

aphillips76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL, S550 Mustang Convertible
Occupation
Geek
Well, we had run this trail 3 weeks before in late February. We went all the way through and even did the summit climb with no drama whatsoever. There was snow but it was way less than I was expecting. We were eating Pizza in Idaho Springs by 130pm. I am experienced at off-roading having been on dozens of trails that range mostly from 3-6s maybe a 7 or 2. Snow wheeling has never been my thing though. Probably only been 4-5 times. I’ve done Yankee Hill probably 6 times. I know this trail really well. That and the state of the trail 3 weeks ago probably lead to my complacency and it cost me… My son in his Rivian and my buddy in his Bronco were with me. I lead.
Jeep Gladiator Yankee Hill Colorado with a Gladiator, a Rivian and a Bronco… Damage IMG_7841

We ran the trail from Columbine Cutoff to add a little bit more fun to the length. A little more snow than last time but no drama at all. We found some mud on Yankee when we got to it, posed on a rock on the lower playground and played in the mud on the upper playground.
Jeep Gladiator Yankee Hill Colorado with a Gladiator, a Rivian and a Bronco… Damage IMG_2049

From there, we headed up the hill. Like before, a little more snow than last time but nothing crazy.Not far up the trail, maybe 1/2 a mile or so, the tracks stopped. No biggy, I know the trail…and it’s not that bad, maybe 3 inches. We all cross both small rock gardens with no drama and keep moving on.

Then, the mistake. I actually made the mistake when we started. I didn’t turn on the gps. We got to Kingston Cutoff Alternative split and I didn’t even see the Yankee trail in front of me. I turned off and didn’t even know. We ended up heading to a valley where the trail was much thinner and the snow pretty quickly got deep, which I also didn’t realize till it was too late. The Jeep was on top of deep snow and I didn’t know. I knew the opening at the top of Yankee was very close so I pushed on not knowing I wasn’t on the trial.

The golf cart (Rivian) got stuck first and called so I stopped, got out and my leg sank a couple of feet in the snow. I knew I was likely in trouble then. So we got the golf cart unstuck and he and the Bronco backed out. I was maybe 75 years in front and as I tried to get out, I sank Into the snow.
Jeep Gladiator Yankee Hill Colorado with a Gladiator, a Rivian and a Bronco… Damage IMG_2325

I dug, winched, traction boarded, dug some more and ended up getting some good traction going backwards but the crunch stopped progress, I had slid sideways and hit the gladiator body on a tree between the tires. Lots more winching and lots of help from a LJ on 40s (who got stuck twice getting to me), I was able to get out…

Lots of lessons learned… Documented here… We try again next week… with gps…

Sponsored

Elff

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ Rubicon, Buell XBRS
Occupation
Interwebs
Vehicle Showcase
Live and Learn. As long as the Door operates, just touch up the paint and move on.
Overall looks like a fun time and now you have street cred, or more accurately, off-road cred.
😎

Cool video. The placement of the cameras was really neat.

OP
OP
aphillips76

aphillips76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
Live and Learn. As long as the Door operates, just touch up the paint and move on.
Overall looks like a fun time and now you have street cred, or more accurately, off-road cred.
😎

Thanks. I’m playing with positioning. I put some crappy decade old ones on the bumper… and it still works.

IMG_7856.jpeg

Sponsored

OP
OP
aphillips76

aphillips76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
I replaced the mirror last night...

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
😎

Yeah, that part of the tub is literally the worst part to fix on the JT

OP
OP
aphillips76

aphillips76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
Yeah, that part of the tub is literally the worst part to fix on the JT
Of course it is :) Well, I’m Going to have it looked at as soon as we get back from Moab in a couple of weeks. Praying for the body shop guy to be having a great day.

OP
OP
aphillips76

aphillips76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
We did do a trip to Cripple creek and some trails around there this past weekend… Gonna have some fun with these videos so it may be a bit before they come out…

IMG_2440.jpeg

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
Of course it is :) Well, I’m Going to have it looked at as soon as we get back from Moab in a couple of weeks. Praying for the body shop guy to be having a great day.
My daughter crashed her bike into my JT when I had it for like a week and still cared; I called a PDR guy out and he couldn't get it done due to foam and bracketry

Im sure a good body man that is actually going to sand and paint afterwards can make it happen

OP
OP
aphillips76

aphillips76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
My daughter crashed her bike into my JT when I had it for like a week and still cared; I called a PDR guy out and he couldn't get it done due to foam and bracketry

Im sure a good body man that is actually going to sand and paint afterwards can make it happen
‘I’m going under the assumption you are right. Thinking positively keeps me sane.
Sponsored