Sponsored

Waxing/Protective Layer

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU
I remember when an old friend bought a BMW M3 new back in 2002. He put some sort of wax on it. I think he said 9 layers. He explained it built up a protective layer so dirt/etc basically wipes right off. Or you can just spray with a hose to clean the car without needing soap or sponges. It was a timely process but he said he loved it.

Does anyone know what product this might have been?
Sponsored

HTownGladiator

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020gladiator
I remember when an old friend bought a BMW M3 new back in 2002. He put some sort of wax on it. I think he said 9 layers. He explained it built up a protective layer so dirt/etc basically wipes right off. Or you can just spray with a hose to clean the car without needing soap or sponges. It was a timely process but he said he loved it.

Does anyone know what product this might have been?
ceramic coating, there are some DIY kits available but the best option for a vehicle is to find a local company that does detailing/ceramic coating as a service. I've gotten a few quotes locally in Houston and they vary in product, number of coats, and quoted lifespan. 5 year coating with 7 coats is around $1500, 7+ "lifetime" coating with 9 coats of product runs right at $2000. The less work the detail shop has to do on paint correction the better so I plan to take the truck straight off the lot and to the coating shop when we finally order.

Racer5112

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1961 Ford Falcon, 1980 Dodge Colt wagon, 2018 Dodge Journey
Vehicle Showcase
There is a guy here in Des Moines that I had talked to about this just the other day. I am going to get mine done as well with the ceramic coating. He said he would do the 6yr warranty for $1000 if I took it to him right after getting it home. Otherwise it would be another $200.

-Mike

OP
OP
First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU
Thank you for the info guys! Seems a little pricey. From anyone with experience with and without ceramic coating, do you feel it's really worth it? I am finding varying opinions online.

I may just try the DIY first.....

Racer5112

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for the info guys! Seems a little pricey. From anyone with experience with and without ceramic coating, do you feel it's really worth it? I am finding varying opinions online.

I may just try the DIY first.....
I've been skeptical as well, but seeing the differences in paint alone is worth it to me. It looks amazing. I don't know what color you have, but if there is any metallic or pearl in it, it makes a WORLD of difference!

-Mike

Sponsored

WakesurfVT

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2014 Centurion Enzo SV233
Occupation
Director of Inside Sales
Watch a video on a true ceramic coating process...there’s no one that can correctly DIY ceramic coating, especially since you cannot purchase quality ceramic coating unless you are professionally trained. Anything you buy off-the-shelf is not professional quality and you will not have true ceramic coating (and...you can possibly cause more/irreversible damage using poor quality products). And ceramic coating over paint that hadn’t been professionally corrected is also going to create sub-par results.

Racer5112

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Watch a video on a true ceramic coating process...there’s no one that can correctly DIY ceramic coating, especially since you cannot purchase quality ceramic coating unless you are professionally trained. Anything you buy off-the-shelf is not professional quality and you will not have true ceramic coating (and...you can possibly cause more/irreversible damage using poor quality products). And ceramic coating over paint that hadn’t been professionally corrected is also going to create sub-par results.

I agree completely with you on this! A lot of people I think (I think) that the ceramic coating is something you can spray on and be done with, almost like a spray quick detailer. Thank you for sharing this video. Hopefully more people will realize what goes into the whole process.

I called several places within 20 miles or so of my house to get pricing on ceramic coating. A big thing here is to find out if they are a certified detailer and what products they use and WHERE. I got quotes anywhere from $600/3yr protection on paint only to $1500/5yr protection and sprayed on everything visible on the exterior (including wheels, bumpers, etc). I landed on a place that is IGL certified and is going to do the whole truck for $1000/6yr protection. He is knocking off $200 because I plan on taking it to him right after I get the truck home and get the bed liner done. If you do go this route, make sure you have the wheels of your choice on so you can get them coated at the same time!

-Mike

AggieJeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Firecracker Red LE, 2012 JKUR Call of Duty, 1967 M715 (military Gladiator)
Vehicle Showcase
I was skeptical at first as well. I’m focusing on ease of cleaning for the years to come. The professional grade products are only available to certified retailers as others have stated. The price reflects the labor involved. There is a LOT of labor when done correctly. I did the math and figure I’ll save some money with simple rinses replacing more expensive washes. Time will tell.

Part of the process is paint correction. The detailer pointed out just a few spots he would address. The truck has 16 miles on it sitting at his shop, so no real road usage so far. He noted that all factory paint has errors, none are perfect.

I’m a big fan of learning things and DIY. Clint Eastwood by way of Dirty Harry told me that, “A man’s gotta know his limitations.” I don’t have the patience or experience in this area so I will enlist a good craftsman. Based on some the cars I saw completed at his shop, I can hardly wait to see it finished. Just how much eye-catchier can the Firecracker Red get?:turkey:

BajaDrifter

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Great info on protecting the paint. I'm just using NuFinish on mine, two coats a year. Wondering though.... What is the best protector you can get for the top, the black freedom panels and rear top? Black plastic fenders too...

PapaChop83

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.revitalizeautospa.com
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator, '04 CLK 55 AMG, '21 Kia Telluride
Vehicle Showcase
Watch a video on a true ceramic coating process...there’s no one that can correctly DIY ceramic coating, especially since you cannot purchase quality ceramic coating unless you are professionally trained. Anything you buy off-the-shelf is not professional quality and you will not have true ceramic coating (and...you can possibly cause more/irreversible damage using poor quality products). And ceramic coating over paint that hadn’t been professionally corrected is also going to create sub-par results.[/MEDIA]
I'm a professional detailer (http://www.revitalizeautospa.com/), and have to say this is somewhat incorrect. While some of the more high-end professional coatings (particularly Opticoat) are only sold to certified installers, there are a TON of very high-end coatings available to anyone (22ple, Gtechniq, CarPro, Gyeon, etc).

https://www.detailedimage.com/Coatings-C110/Paint-Coatings-SC153/

Are they easy to install? No. Some are more complex than others, and it is usually desirable to have the paint corrected first (as stated above) as well as decontaminated (both chemically for iron and tar contamination, and physically bonded contaminants). That being said, permanent damage isn't very possible. Even if you leave high spots (they look like rainbows), they can be polished off very easily.

If you're a proficient DIYer, you can absolutely install a coating yourself IF you're willing to do some research first. Gyeon's coatings are particularly user friendly, and offer GREAT results.
Sponsored