Sponsored

Husband Gladiator and Wife JL build(s)

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks!

I'm waiting for the upgraded axles for the Gladiator to become available, but while I'm waiting I may go to 5.13's and weld on an Artec front Axle armor kit. Our JL on 40s and 5.13s has help up well without it, but better safe than sorry.
Wasn't sure what that was - here's the JK version - looks beefy and kinda Frankenstein-y

Screen Shot 2019-08-15 at 11.29.51 PM.png
Sponsored

OP
OP
TTEChris

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD
Occupation
Jeep
Went to a "Day of the Gladiator" event at one of our local dealers. My Wife(White JLU) and Business partner(Green JL) tagged along as well.
Day of the Gladiator.jpg

Captn_Obvious

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Gladiator Rubicon (Sting Grey)
Damn, these pics made my eyeballs pop out! I'm new to the Jeep brand, wanted one since I was just a kid.. about to order a JT Rubi in sting grey in the next week or so. I love all you've done with yours. Again, just damn dude..

OP
OP
TTEChris

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD
Occupation
Jeep
Got my new axles today
I wish... :bandit:
Fushion 4x4 60/80 going on a customers JL. I'm thinking of going with a set of their axles after seeing these in person. :piggybank:
20190830_150936~2.jpg

Also got a chance to take the doors off for the first time today.
20190831_181722~2.jpg

Sponsored

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
I hate to ask what a set of those axles cost (but I am).

IMO you've tipped over the dominoes and more and more of them will fall. Running those huge tires on stock axles and gearing will absolutely lead to broken things. And spending money to address that will only find other weak links which will certainly include a shortage of power to spin those meats.

I wish your Gladiator the best - it's great looking but I don't have the wallet to pay when the dominoes fall

OP
OP
TTEChris

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD
Occupation
Jeep
I hate to ask what a set of those axles cost (but I am).

IMO you've tipped over the dominoes and more and more of them will fall. Running those huge tires on stock axles and gearing will absolutely lead to broken things. And spending money to address that will only find other weak links which will certainly include a shortage of power to spin those meats.

I wish your Gladiator the best - it's great looking but I don't have the wallet to pay when the dominoes fall
No need to ask, a quick visit to Fusion 4x4's site will give you all the pricing you need. I don't plan on running the 60/80 combo you see above, those are for a customers JL, but I will be running a 60/60 or a 60/14bolt before I spend time doing any serious offroading.

I guess I'm prepared for those Dominos.... I keep waiting for them to fall on our JLU with 5.13's & 40's, but after running several trails in Moab, local trails, and lots of daily driving it has yet to show any give. We are easy on the throttle which I'm sure has a big impact on longevity, but after owning 4 JK's with D44s(All on 37's) I am confident that the JL/JT axles are much stronger.

If my Gladiator breaks, it will be revived stronger than it was before. Jeeps are my business/hobby/passion, I fully understand the potential consequences of my actions :bandit:

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
No need to ask, a quick visit to Fusion 4x4's site will give you all the pricing you need. I don't plan on running the 60/80 combo you see above, those are for a customers JL, but I will be running a 60/60 or a 60/14bolt before I spend time doing any serious offroading.

I guess I'm prepared for those Dominos.... I keep waiting for them to fall on our JLU with 5.13's & 40's, but after running several trails in Moab, local trails, and lots of daily driving it has yet to show any give. We are easy on the throttle which I'm sure has a big impact on longevity, but after owning 4 JK's with D44s(All on 37's) I am confident that the JL/JT axles are much stronger.

If my Gladiator breaks, it will be revived stronger than it was before. Jeeps are my business/hobby/passion, I fully understand the potential consequences of my actions :bandit:

Great response Chris - glad to hear about your positive experiences with your JLU running 5.13's and 40" tires offroad - gives me confidence for sure.

Couple questions:
* What did you do to reset the speedo/odo when you changed gears/tires?
* Like most people I do a lot of freeway/highway miles especially to get to the offroading - how are those big/wide tires on the freeway - do they wander, hydroplane more, etc? And how are they on curvy/twisty roads - much different than stock? I do drive as fast as 80MPH on the freeways so I am concerned about bigger/wider tires on road too.

Bonus question: How are Jeeps your business? Not sure I saw that on here

OP
OP
TTEChris

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD
Occupation
Jeep
Great response Chris - glad to hear about your positive experiences with your JLU running 5.13's and 40" tires offroad - gives me confidence for sure.

Couple questions:
* What did you do to reset the speedo/odo when you changed gears/tires?
* Like most people I do a lot of freeway/highway miles especially to get to the offroading - how are those big/wide tires on the freeway - do they wander, hydroplane more, etc? And how are they on curvy/twisty roads - much different than stock? I do drive as fast as 80MPH on the freeways so I am concerned about bigger/wider tires on road too.

Bonus question: How are Jeeps your business? Not sure I saw that on here
-Tazer or Flashcal will handle re-calibration of the speedo, TPMS threshold(I run MUCH lower tire pressures than stock), Gear ratio calibration and much much more (Love my Tazer!)

- I always cruise at 65-75mph, being in the city I rarely find the opportunity to go much above that. Our JL has long arms, and coilovers but I'm finding the Gladiator handles better even without those two upgrades on the highway(Most likely due to the longer wheelbase). I went from a lift with stock wheels/tires on the Gladiator to the 41's and honestly noticed little to no difference cruising at those speeds other than the obvious acceleration/braking/noise. I cannot comment on the hydroplaning with these specific tires as I've yet to experience a heavy rainstorm, but I've had no issues with our 4dr(40" Maxxis Razr) or 2dr(37" Yokohama G003).

- I have a small shop in the Houston area where all I do is work on Jeeps and the occasional Truck/SUV :beer:

furrymurray

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator SG Rubicon
- I have a small shop in the Houston area where all I do is work on Jeeps and the occasional Truck/SUV :beer:
Give us the name so those of us that are close enough can come get some work done. If that's allowed? I like getting work done at local businesses. I have had great experience with the mom and pop or husband and wife shops.

Sponsored

OP
OP
TTEChris

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD
Occupation
Jeep
Give us the name so those of us that are close enough can come get some work done. If that's allowed? I like getting work done at local businesses. I have had great experience with the mom and pop or husband and wife shops.
I'm not sure what the forum rules are regarding that? I don't make much if any money posting on the forums, I just do it because I love Jeeps. Becoming a sponsor wouldn't make sense for my small shop.

But, if you look at the sticker on my Jeep it gives a decent hint :beer:

OP
OP
TTEChris

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD
Occupation
Jeep
Can you tell me how you "chopped" your rear flares? What did you use? Thanks!
The rear are just like the front if you have seen those done minus all the bolts/screws for the Lights. They are fairly sturdy without any sort of support bracket(unlike the front)

This was made by another forum member
https://smoverland.com/blog/rearfenderchop

The only thing I did different is I use a dremel with a plastic cutting wheel to cut off the remaining tabs rather than a knife.

@JcrOffroad now has some liners for the rear to clean it up and cover some of the electronics/plumbing back there.

WhiteJT8541

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
LEO
The rear are just like the front if you have seen those done minus all the bolts/screws for the Lights. They are fairly sturdy without any sort of support bracket(unlike the front)

This was made by another forum member
https://smoverland.com/blog/rearfenderchop

The only thing I did different is I use a dremel with a plastic cutting wheel to cut off the remaining tabs rather than a knife.

@JcrOffroad now has some liners for the rear to clean it up and cover some of the electronics/plumbing back there.
Those liners are really nice as. My old JKU had the Ace inner fenders. I also didn’t know about JRC at the time.
Sponsored