Sponsored

37s with 17” or 18” wheels.. can’t decide.. ANY PICS??

Desert Outlaw

First Name
Desert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Tomb Raider Rubicon, 2020 Rubicon Gladiator
Especially when that's all you've got...Yeah, there's a reason for the title of this play & movie...

event-featured-Kac-1549295346-300x300.jpg
Back to wheel size, I think that 17" is the standard for actual wheeling. 18" is more of an appearance favorite, similar to 20's. As for Hedwig, I haven't seen the movie yet, but the reviews have been very good. One of these days I will get Netflix.
Sponsored

Russler

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous 50 Willys, 76 CJ
Build Thread
Link
Back to wheel size, I think that 17" is the standard for actual wheeling. 18" is more of an appearance favorite, similar to 20's. As for Hedwig, I haven't seen the movie yet, but the reviews have been very good. One of these days I will get Netflix.
Everything I have seen indicates to keep the wheel size half the size of the tire ie. 33" tire = 16 wheel, 35" tire = 17" wheel and 37" tire = 18" wheel. That said I still don't like 20's even if you have 40" rubber. :)

Last edited:

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Everything I have seen indicates to keep the wheel size half the size of the tire ie. 33" tire = 16 wheel, 35" tire = 17" wheel and 37" tire = 18" wheel. That said I still think 20's look dumb as hell even if you have 40" rubber :)
Never heard that before.

As far as I've seen over the years, 17's are the most popular and one reason is when off roading, having more sidewall is better than less.

Anytime I see 20's on an off roader I know if the owner's doing more than mall crawling he's into "looking good" rather than performance

Russler

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous 50 Willys, 76 CJ
Build Thread
Link
Never heard that before.

As far as I've seen over the years, 17's are the most popular and one reason is when off roading, having more sidewall is better than less.

Anytime I see 20's on an off roader I know if the owner's doing more than mall crawling he's into "looking good" rather than performance
Now you had me second guessing what I had been told :)

I did a quick google search Proper Tires to wheel ratio for off roading and found multiple threads supporting the 50% theory.

A couple examples -

A good rule of thumb to follow to pick larger tires is never have a wheel that is more than half the diameter of the tire. That means don’t put more than a 40” tire on a 20” wheel or a 35” on a 17” wheel or 30-inch tires on 15-inch wheels, you get the idea. By doing this, you manage the sidewall height. It balances squirm with flex, so the tire can soak up bumps offroad. Now that you’ve got those larger tires picked out, it’s time to get larger wheels. Found at https://www.wheelfire.com/blog/are-larger-tires-and-wheels-better-for-offroading/

For off-road performance, we prefer to stick to the rule of thumb of running a wheel diameter no bigger than half the tire height. That typically means 15 or 16-inch wheels for 33s and 17-inch wheels for 35s. Found at https://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/tech-qa/1511-how-wheel-size-affects-off-road-performance/

I really have no skin in the game. Buy what you like, what you can afford and what will get you where you want to go. See ya on the trail.

OP
OP

AV8tor

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 Ford Bronco, Gladiator soon!
20s no way. Never a fan of that. I’d probably say I prefer the 18s look slightly better, but it’s easily $500+ price difference for same wheel / tire setup. And even though it’s “only an inch”... I’ve seen some 37”s w/ 17s that just don’t look right to me. However, I’ve seen plenty of setups with 17s that look great and have the benefit of cost savings and more sidewall. Which is most likely the route I end up going.

Sponsored

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
While I'm not a fan of 20s, I have to admit they look awesome on @RebelOffRoad 's orange JT beast. Them be 40s, mind you.

rebeloffroad-01823-jpg.jpg

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
While I'm not a fan of 20s, I have to admit they look awesome on @RebelOffRoad 's orange JT beast. Them be 40s, mind you.

rebeloffroad-01823-jpg.jpg

Yup. Looks good but the "debate" is about looks versus performance. That Gladiator needs more sidewall for off roading :facepalm:

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
Yup. Looks good but the "debate" is about looks versus performance.
Debating about something that is purely subjective is a waste of time, IMHO. If you like it, go for it; who cares what I or anyone else thinks.

That Gladiator needs more sidewall for off roading :facepalm:
I suspect @RebelOffRoad may disagree with you; it seems to do quite well off road from what I've seen.

giphy.gif

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Debating about something that is purely subjective is a waste of time, IMHO. If you like it, go for it; who cares what I or anyone else thinks.

I suspect @RebelOffRoad may disagree with you; it seems to do quite well off road from what I've seen.

giphy.gif

There’s no debate - people and shops do what they like and should. The point has always been more sidewall vs less has benefits OFF road.

Running 20’s and even larger wheels off road has been done and the vehicles even make it back :clap:

Sponsored

OP
OP

AV8tor

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 Ford Bronco, Gladiator soon!
I agree about no real point in debate of opinion. I’m more looking for Pics to see what my opinion is because I don’t really have one yet! ;)

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

RebelOffRoad

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
22551 Shannon Circle, Lake Forest, CA 92630
Website
www.rebeloffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon and 2 Gladiator Overlands
Occupation
Marketing Director
Yup. Looks good but the "debate" is about looks versus performance. That Gladiator needs more sidewall for off roading :facepalm:
40x20 and 37x17 is exactly the same sidewall size. We've had no issue with rock crawling, sand, mud, regular trails. We'd like to eventually upgrade these wheels to a beadlock however so we can go to a lower tire pressure.