Wizzard005

First Name
CnG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition Jeep Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely DawgBox and I would love to do it. Not sure anyone will be out of lock down until the end of May, a mid-June Moab may be feasible. Moving to Colorado at end of May if they can finish the house in time...may have to finish building the rear out quickly if the trip plans become a reality.
FinalTrickTrucks_without_FogLights2.jpg
nice build sir , we will plan it when we know what one earth is going on..
Sponsored

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster
no worries, we are from hawaii, sold everything to move here to overland, then all this happens :) ....
Oh hell! That is rough!

So let me ask you about hawaii. I was on Oahu for about 4 days and stayed on the Marines base. THe beach was nice and the weather was okay. It was late april. I see jobs there and although i'd probably never convince my wife to move to there, I always wondering about what it is like living on either oahu or one of the other islands. Honestly, i drove around oahu and did some hikes, but i thought maybe it would seem a bit small after like a year or so, but maybe you get used to it?

beelzebot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2009 Mini Cooper S Convertible
I'd be down for a Moab trip and I'm sure I can talk my brother into it too. I know Grand County is asking people who don't live there to stay away until further notice and most hotels are closed down there but hopefully we can get everything back to normal sooner than later.

There's a local Utah Jeep group that has several JT drivers who aren't on the forum. I'd be happy to spread the word there too once plans start to take shape.

Moabite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
I know Grand County is asking people who don't live there to stay away until further notice and most hotels are closed down there but hopefully we can get everything back to normal sooner than later.
ALL overnight lodging of any kind is closed. There is currently no estimate as to when it will re-open. And there is no camping anywhere in Grand, Emery, or Carbon counties...not even in dispersed backcountry camping areas unless you are a resident of the county. Law enforcement officers spend the entire day hitting backcountry sites and kicking non-county residents out. They issue citations if they find you camping more than once in violation of the health dept. order. Some people just don't get it. Hopefully we can open things up next month. But I wouldn't plan on it. One headline in yesterday's local newspaper: "No Tourism in 2020?"

Jeep Safari Week - 2020:

EJS2020A.jpg

EJS2020B.jpg

Sponsored

boosted14

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
ALL overnight lodging of any kind is closed. There is currently no estimate as to when it will re-open. And there is no camping anywhere in Grand, Emery, or Carbon counties...not even in dispersed backcountry camping areas unless you are a resident of the county. Law enforcement officers spend the entire day hitting backcountry sites and kicking non-county residents out. They issue citations if they find you camping more than once in violation of the health dept. order. Some people just don't get it. Hopefully we can open things up next month. But I wouldn't plan on it. One headline in yesterday's local newspaper: "No Tourism in 2020?"

Jeep Safari Week - 2020:

EJS2020A.jpg

EJS2020B.jpg
It has been an eerie site for sure. I drive an OTR truck for UPS. My route runs Dallas to Salt Lake City twice a week, so I have the pleasure of passing through Moab 4x a week. It has been so strange seeing all the empty hotel parking lots and lack of traffic since the weather has warmed up.

I would definitely be up for a gladiator run when the world gets back to normal, though!

msujedi

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S, 2014 Durango, 2020 Ibis Ripley
Vehicle Showcase
I'm definitely down for a trip somewhere sooner than later! I'll keep a summer Moab trip in mind.

I hope to hit the Daniel Boone Backcountry Byway in Kentucky sometime in May (and rock climb in the Red River Gorge) ... as soon as camping is allowed in KY. All I will need is gas. It will otherwise be a completely "self-sustained" trip with 1 or 2 driving/climbing friends for 3 or 4 days.

now for a bit of a rant ...

ALL overnight lodging of any kind is closed. There is currently no estimate as to when it will re-open. And there is no camping anywhere in Grand, Emery, or Carbon counties...not even in dispersed backcountry camping areas unless you are a resident of the county.
This doesn't make sense to me. Backcountry camping is the epitome of social distancing. The extent of this lockdown is not commensurate with the threat posed by this virus ... and I've had a lot of time to sift through the numbers on it.

While I'm not a conspiracy theorist, the effect of sensationalized news for many years has fostered societal problems including helicopter parents whose kids are raised with an unhealthy sense of fear of the unknown and entitlement ... increased anxiety, depression, and narcissism.

Law enforcement officers spend the entire day hitting backcountry sites and kicking non-county residents out. They issue citations if they find you camping more than once in violation of the health dept. order. Some people just don't get it. Hopefully we can open things up next month. But I wouldn't plan on it. One headline in yesterday's local newspaper: "No Tourism in 2020?"
This simply isn't sustainable. The virus will run its course sooner or later. We will need to open businesses before the uncertain date that a vaccine might become available. And, when we do, the virus will continue to spread ... with a mortality rate only slightly higher than influenza (studies have pointed to this, but more are being done with increasing peer review before policy is made that will affect our nation).

I believe Sweden's approach (along with Wyoming and the Dakotas) is the most sustainable response. While Sweden didn't sufficiently protect the elderly in assisted living, their overall model is pretty balanced. Reduce person to person contact while keeping virtually all businesses running. Spread out seating at restaurants (no bar service). Eliminate large gatherings. Encourage 6ft distancing. Encourage elderly and those with pre-existing conditions to practice greater isolation.

... ok, rant over.

I hope to see you all healthy & out on the trails soon!

AC_1960

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Granite Crystal Metallic
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I would probably be down for a return trip to Moab in my JT, depending on dates of course. Only time I was there was last May in my 2014 JKUR, and unfortunately the weather was awful 80% of the time (cold, wind and rain). Made it on a few easy-moderate trails, and managed to visit Arches and Canyonlands National Parks, but would like to see the area under better conditions.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
This doesn't make sense to me. Backcountry camping is the epitome of social distancing. The extent of this lockdown is not commensurate with the threat posed by this virus ... and I've had a lot of time to sift through the numbers on it.
The problem is that if you open an area, you don't just get locals.

If Moab opens for backcountry camping, everyone within 800 miles will be heading there and most aren't coming solo. They're not able to get in and out with a single tank of gas and their cooler of food. Every stop you make for gas, food, and beer potentially exposes others who would be relatively isolated otherwise - these small towns don't have the infrastructure to care for people that the major cities do.

I'm totally in agreement that we're taking the wrong approach but people are selfish. If we could trust that people would travel with just their household, keep distance, and sanitize their hands before and after pumping gas or using any public service, it would go a long way. Unfortunately, people will do what they want and a few assholes ruin it for everyone else.

Sponsored

RickyR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR Black , 2004 LJ D60's 39.5 IRoKs AMC 401 V-8
Anyone thinking maybe a few days after Memorial Day weekend? I heard that Portal RV resort is open as of yesterday.. Thinking of heading out there from the east coast...

trust

First Name
terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Jeep Scrambler, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Alwways up for a trip to Moab, I'll keep checking this thread and see if it can happen. Summer may not be the best time to got though, it does get warmish there....

BruteForce

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
utahbruteforce.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2009 Ram 3500 CTD, 2001 Toyota 4Runner
Occupation
SVP/CISO
I've run most of the technical trails in Moab in my JT. Note that I have a 2" lift on 37's and I still scraped the rear end on some of the more steep drop-offs. For those asking if they need lockers or massive upgrades: NO.. just take your time and use prudent throttle control! :)

As of 1 May, Moab is partially open.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
It is unfortunate that idiots ruin it for everyone. I just did some off-grid camping and shooting in CA. I had my trailer so I didn't need to go inside anywhere (bathrooms, food). I wore gloves to touch the pumps. But lots of tourists were wandering in and out of the gas station stores getting food and going to the bathroom, and the entire time I only saw one other person using gloves on the pumps and other things they touched. So yeah, closing the wilderness is crazy, until you realize people do dumb things to get there. Maybe if they just closed the stores and had gas only?

Anyway I'm interested in this trip, but have no idea what my work schedule will be like as this progresses. So I'm a 50/50 in.

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
I have mandatory vacation that I have to take next week. I am thinking of driving there and staying in a hotel, Springfield Suites or something.... Maybe May 13 to 16 or something like that.... It's an 11 hour drive for me to get there, do you think it will be worth it ? or too early ? I have never been to Moab, so, I need some recommendations... I would also need easier trails for a stock Rubicon JT... My girlfriend really cringes when the JT scraps, so, I do not want to freak her out. lol..
Sponsored