First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
Want to put this on tablet or phone. Must be downloaded for offline use. Opinions, real world usage, thoughts.
Sponsored

MattK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator (JTR)
I've used Gaia to get me around everywhere I need to go off-roading and get me "un-lost" for years. I use it on Apple iOS devices and it now has Apple CarPlay support which is nice for just viewing a route/track you're following but not much else. You an also use their service on their website to set things up from home and sync to your devices. I subscribe to the Gaia Premium Membership for the extra maps which are nice to haves but their base map will get you where you want to go. Premium is good for private/public lands to make sure you're not trespassing, 24/48 hour rain forecast maps if you have service, fire maps to see if you're going into an area that was destroyed by fire which can change your plans, etc. It's good for backcountry hiking as well alongside physical maps. All the map sets are downloadable and they are updated regularly. I recommend it.

TroutFishingInAmerica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
I have Gaia Premium on a 256 gig iPad mini (cell so it has gps built-in). Small learning curve, not bad at all. I've downloaded all kinds of stuff. Like MattK above I give it a thumbs up also. Garmin used to be the leader but have fizzled out in my opinion. The Gaia Premium with the overlays just seems to offer much more. I have heard good things about OnX but never tried it.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
I have OnX, tend to look at in on an iPad but I have an XR I use on my dash mount. Daily drive an Android though. Works fine on all the platforms.

Our Mojave run got canned due to late schedule heat, so the offline maps I built for that weren't needed. Instead, I setup offline maps via the web app at 10 mile resolution for Hungry Valley last weekend. Turned out to be mostly un-needed, the cell coverage was surprisingly decent. We did go West into Los Padres and that kind of sucked having to wait, but it worked out well.

I may swap the mount to one sized for an iPad Mini LTE, I miss the big screen of the Jeep. OnX doesn't project via CarPlay yet.

I did a trial and it was good, let it expire and they gave me a discount for the first year. I'll pay the $30/yr at renewal, totally worth it.

Sportsbiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Digital Experience Program Manager
I've used Gaia to get me around everywhere I need to go off-roading and get me "un-lost" for years. I use it on Apple iOS devices and it now has Apple CarPlay support which is nice for just viewing a route/track you're following but not much else. You an also use their service on their website to set things up from home and sync to your devices. I subscribe to the Gaia Premium Membership for the extra maps which are nice to haves but their base map will get you where you want to go. Premium is good for private/public lands to make sure you're not trespassing, 24/48 hour rain forecast maps if you have service, fire maps to see if you're going into an area that was destroyed by fire which can change your plans, etc. It's good for backcountry hiking as well alongside physical maps. All the map sets are downloadable and they are updated regularly. I recommend it.
Another vote for Gaia for reasons stated above. The Apple CarPlay support is what I like most as I don't want the cluttered command center deal.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Free2roam

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
Another vote for Gaia for reasons stated above. The Apple CarPlay support is what I like most as I don't want the cluttered command center deal.
Ughhh. Apple.... Android all the way. Totally off subject
Jeep Gladiator Maps Gaia, OnX, Garmin? d38bpd2-77ce024a-b535-49e9-9766-29d795b21b1b