Sponsored

Houston to Alaska summer 2024.. and Dalton highway.

yrwins

First Name
Yrwins
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/a
Occupation
IT
I just returned from colorado. This is my second year I have a total 11k on overland, on the gladiator .
I will focus on the Alaska 2024 expedition. Planing and getting ready.
looking for some one that will go Together or at least on Dalton highway.
Any recommendations?
I jus buy the milepost 2022.

The fuel tank of a gladiator diesel is 18gl and I am getting about 18 mpg on average when I am towing the mantis. so a full tank will get me a 324 miles range. And also I have two 3 gallon plastic contain that is attached to the bed of the pickup.
I need to carry more fuel

IMG_0362.jpeg

IMG_0252.jpeg
Sponsored

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
I personally went Wavian. Then bought the black Wavian metal flexible fuel nozzle. Worked perfectly in my diesel. Easy pour and don't in less than 10 minutes.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
You won’t need to buy more fuel tanks. The longest stretch between fuel stops is 250 miles from Coldfoot to Prudoe Bay. You will be going over Atigen Pass which is just over 4000’ msl so you mileage won’t be the best going up.
The road itself is gravel so your speed will generally be between 40 and 50 mph which should help with your mileage.. I would consider getting load range E tires as the gravel is very sharp and gettin a flat is a real possibility. When I went up in my Expedition truck camper I actually took 2 spares but ended up not having a flat!. Let me know if you have any specific questions. It was a great trip!

Here’s a picture of a place where we camped just north of Attigen by a creek.
Jeep Gladiator Houston to Alaska summer 2024.. and Dalton highway. IMG_0288

OP
OP
yrwins

yrwins

First Name
Yrwins
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/a
Occupation
IT
Thanks for the update, Now I need to find out (make a phone call) if they diesel on the gas stations During that week.

Jeep Gladiator Houston to Alaska summer 2024.. and Dalton highway. IMG_1139

Last edited:

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
^^^
”diesel on the gas stations”? I’m not sure what you mean…

Sponsored

OP
OP
yrwins

yrwins

First Name
Yrwins
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/a
Occupation
IT
Diesel station , Gas station means a use where gasoline and Diesel fuels are sold, typically including a Small Retail component. like SHELL, BP, EXXON.

I just check at dead horse it is at $7.50 a gallon.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Yes gas and diesel are both available at Coldfoot and Dead Horse. When I went fuel was about $1.50 more per gallon up there than Coldfoot and it was cheaper near Fairbanks than Coldfoot. Just makes sense when you think about it.

OP
OP
yrwins

yrwins

First Name
Yrwins
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/a
Occupation
IT
what other road do you recommend in Alaska! park highway?

Uparms

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT, 2020 JT, 72 CJ5,2005 LJ, 2002 TJ, 92 YJ
Vehicle Showcase
Are there any access points to getting on and next to Prudhoe Bay once you hit the end of the road. I see East and West pump stations but would think they are closed off. Any chance of at least driving out to the Seawater Treatment plant? Really is just refinery area so I am curious if we just turn around and leave with out a "foot in the water" or water side "The End" photo?? Thanks All, been thinking about this ride a while also.

KQL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking for gladiator
Are there any access points to getting on and next to Prudhoe Bay once you hit the end of the road. I see East and West pump stations but would think they are closed off. Any chance of at least driving out to the Seawater Treatment plant? Really is just refinery area so I am curious if we just turn around and leave with out a "foot in the water" or water side "The End" photo?? Thanks All, been thinking about this ride a while also.
Same question here. I’ve seen some shows that try to make it to the water, but are faced with large refinery grounds with fences and security that tells them they can’t access the water anywhere.

Sponsored

OP
OP
yrwins

yrwins

First Name
Yrwins
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/a
Occupation
IT
More information about Dalton Highway.

There is a nice map. on the Visitor Guide.
https://www.blm.gov/sites/default/files/docs/2022-04/AK-Dalton_Highway_Visitor_Guide_2022.pdf

Camp Grounds for Dalton Highway
https://www.blm.gov/sites/default/files/docs/2023-04/AK_BLM_DaltonHighwayCampgrounds.pdf

Note: " Off-Road Vehicles State statute prohibits off-road vehicle use within 5 miles (8 km) either side of the highway from the Yukon River to the Arctic Ocean." Page 17

GEOREFERENCED PDF MAPS
Dalton Highway - Fairbanks to Coldfoot(link is external)
Dalton Highway - Coldfoot to Deadhorse(link is external)

THE ARCTIC OCEAN SHUTTLE By DeadHorse camp.
is about $75 per person.

for more information this is web site.
http://www.deadhorsecamp.com/arctic-ocean-shuttle

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
More information about Dalton Highway.

There is a nice map. on the Visitor Guide.
https://www.blm.gov/sites/default/files/docs/2022-04/AK-Dalton_Highway_Visitor_Guide_2022.pdf

Camp Grounds for Dalton Highway
https://www.blm.gov/sites/default/files/docs/2023-04/AK_BLM_DaltonHighwayCampgrounds.pdf

Note: " Off-Road Vehicles State statute prohibits off-road vehicle use within 5 miles (8 km) either side of the highway from the Yukon River to the Arctic Ocean." Page 17

GEOREFERENCED PDF MAPS
Dalton Highway - Fairbanks to Coldfoot(link is external)
Dalton Highway - Coldfoot to Deadhorse(link is external)

THE ARCTIC OCEAN SHUTTLE By DeadHorse camp.
is about $75 per person.

for more information this is web site.
http://www.deadhorsecamp.com/arctic-ocean-shuttle
Great information! I wish I had that when we went but we did see almost everything in the brochures.

ominousskitter

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Occupation
Software & Coastal Engineer
Access is restricted/gated at a certain point, but there are companies that will drive you out to go dip in the water over summer if you want.

Fuel is normally fine along the way—both gas and diesel—as many people drive to the north slope for work.

what other road do you recommend in Alaska! park highway?
Denali Highway (Highway 8, not Parks Highway-3), is seasonal and nice. Hatcher's Pass (N of Anchorage/Wasilla). I wouldn't take a trailer down it, but Wrangell-St Elias has some great roads, too.

If the fire season isn't bad, Top of the World Highway through the Yukon is nice change from the Alcan, and as of right now repairs on the Alcan are adding a lot to travel times (like a pilot car for 30 miles). Though if you take the northern route (Top of the World) there is a (free) ferry in Dawson, and if you're pulling a trailer, you might have to wait a couple crossings before it's your turn.

Last edited:

Jay61

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018JKUR 2023 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
I too am planning a trip up that way in the next year or so. There is an Alaska Overlanding group on Facebook that is very helpful in planning. Everyone up there says GAIA is the way to go with regards to maps. From what I understand you have to make reservations to get to the ocean and you can not take your own vehicle to it. There is a place in the North West Territories you can drive to the sea, the Dempster/Tuk road and can camp (for a price) literally feet from the ocean.

OP
OP
yrwins

yrwins

First Name
Yrwins
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/a
Occupation
IT
have you guys done the McCarthy Road?
it is only a 59 miles off road.

Jeep Gladiator Houston to Alaska summer 2024.. and Dalton highway. IMG_BA1BECAD01F0-1
Sponsored