Sponsored

Australia to be second largest Gladiator market

MudderTruker

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Hilux SR5 and Jeep Renegade ... name is on the list for a Gladiator!
Occupation
Computer dude
If and only If, Jeep Australia price this right
And we so know they will stuff this up ... they cant make the JT less than the equivalent JL, and I don't see them dropping the price on the JL any time soon!

AaronW

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep JKU
Double Black is just spouting whatever their local dealer tells them and claiming it as their own insider knowledge/gospel.

There is NO confirmed date, NO confirmed specs, NO confirmed pricing.
Until you see it from Jeep Australia themselves, or on their website, anything the dealer tells you is just heresay.

Anyone pretending to know more is just trying to make a sale or increase some self interest.

PK2

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranchero, Triumph Speed Triple, Isuzu Dmax
Screenshot_20200304-143938_BlueMail.jpg

Is this proof enough? Total fuck up tow capacity max 2721kg as predicted.....

bairdy380

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Hilux SR5 Dual Cab
I am declaring the Gladiator dead in Aust before it has even begun...damn shame.
Approx $74K, $82K and $92 K on road....under spec, over priced....they even reduced the tyre size FFS...on an off road market!
The dream for me is dead

Reactions: PK2

Sponsored

MudderTruker

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Computer dude
I have heard that said a lot in various places around Aus ... that the Gladiator it just too expensive. But I am tipping they will sell like hot cakes to start. I am not sure of the longevity ... maybe mid next year when they bring the better priced Sport S.

Last edited:

bairdy380

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have hears that said a lot in various places around Aus ... that the Gladiator it just too expensive. But I am tipping they will sell like hot cakes to start. I am not sure of the longevity ... maybe mid next year when they bring the better priced Sport S.
I honestly believe that if they sell (not to dealers) 1000 units, that would be nothing short of a miracle

Reactions: PK2

MudderTruker

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Computer dude
I honestly believe that if they sell (not to dealers) 1000 units, that would be nothing short of a miracle
WOW ... that is a big statement! When Jeep are expecting up to be the 2nd biggest market!

bairdy380

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
QUOTE="MudderTruker, post: 464875, member: 24002"]WOW ... that is a big statement! When Jeep are expecting up to be the 2nd biggest market![/QUOTE]
Below is a response I gave to someone else in a similar discusssion...I'll caveat my points in that I worked in automotive manufacturing for 20+years and have seen a lot of models from concept to on-road.
Australia is a small niche market in general...if you get specs wrong, or price wrong...you simply wont sell units....there is a lot of free market choice and competition
Eg. Holden Cruze, Mercedes X-Class (recent examples)....dont forget Falcon AU...uuugh
If you spec close to market expectations, you can charge a bit of a premium...eg turbo diesel, 3T+ towing, Class leading "X" etc...
If you come in under spec on market expectation, your only move is price...ie great wall (extreme example, but demonstrates the point)
It's almost the pub test at its most basic level.
Below was my discussion on where Jeep was trying to "fit"

"There is a fundamental issue with the market approach Aust doesnt have a fast dune market, and the very small group that do drive like this have already bought their $75K raptors There are generally speaking 3 markets Tradies Tourers (Overlanders in the new term) Off-Roaders (Low 4 type people) The later would be the primary jeep market here, cracking the tourer market would be tough . They have gone so close on this vehicle for a niche here that it will be a shame if it's the margins that kill it "

Sponsored

MudderTruker

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Computer dude
Below is a response I gave to someone else in a similar discusssion...
Fair comments in there mate! I totally agree with most of them, but realistically, with where utes are going with price at the moment, I think the price is not too bad.

Dont get me wrong, I still think $83k (on road) for a Raptor and $82k for the Rubi is highway robbery!! But with the prices being almost exactly the same, you can see Jeeps market.

Personally I dont think they will attract the tradies, nor the tourers (grey nomads) - Jeep have priced themselves out of the market! Tradies will go the Ranger and tourers a 2nd hand 200 Series!

The MIGHT attract some family ute buyers - but Toyota will not be worrying - and the fan-bois - like me. But even me, as a self proclaimed fan-boi, I am going to wait and see what happens here! #Discounts :fingerscrossed:

MudderTruker

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Computer dude

PK2

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranchero, Triumph Speed Triple, Isuzu Dmax
Maximum towing 2721kg is going to kill it, and less than 700kg load capacity??
Sorry Jeep, it was nice having you here, my CJ4, CJ7, XJ, TJ and v8 WG were awesome, but the Gladiator wont cut it......

Woga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Liberty, big Merc, VW Touareg Punkn gladiator rubicon
Occupation
Ski bum
Just mind boggling stuff from FCA
upload_2020-3-6_13-27-35.png
Interesting. I configured a rubicon up here on the Jeep USA website as close as I could get to the Aust rubicon and the two option packages and it comes to USD56,170 or AUD 84,600 today Vs 82,820 in Aussie - nearly 2k cheaper
But it’s a lot of coin in local currency - my interest in securing one to use on the annual NZ beach holiday has vanished very rapidly!

239DCDF0-BC9A-47A9-B69E-4D75FBCCBD92.png

bairdy380

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unfortunately I’m calling it....
It’s getting whacked across multiple sites as not a lot of truck for way to much coin. All call it fun, but no real class leading anything
Reducing the specs.... even tyre size for goodness sake!
FCA dropped the ball in a big way
Sponsored