Sponsored

4/10 gears with 8 speed vs 3/73 gears with 6 speed final output difference or the same?

F&D

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xj and Gladiator sports Max tow on order
Occupation
Retired
4/10 gears with 8 speed vs 3/73 gears with 6 speed final output difference or the same?
Sponsored

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
What are you asking? In what gear?

8th gear on 8 speed with 3.73 final drive is 3.73 x .67 = 2.4991
6th gear on the 6 speed with 4.1 is 4.1 x .72 = 2.952

So no they would not be the same. 8th on the 8 speed is almost identical to the ratio of 6th on the 6 speed, if they are both equipped with the same final drive ratio (3.73 or 4.1). That's intentional.

But both are available with both ratios. Assuming gas engine, if you get a max tow (auto only), Rubicon, or Mojave, you get 4.1, on either transmission. Otherwise, you get 3.73, on either transmission.

OP
OP

F&D

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
What are you asking? In what gear?

8th gear on 8 speed with 3.73 final drive is 3.73 x .67 = 2.4991
6th gear on the 6 speed with 4.1 is 4.1 x .72 = 2.952

So no they would not be the same. 8th on the 8 speed is almost identical to the ratio of 6th on the 6 speed, if they are both equipped with the same final drive ratio (3.73 or 4.1). That's intentional.
That is the answer I was looking for in top gear. So the Max tow fuel mileage should be close to the 6 speeds milage.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is the answer I was looking for in top gear. So the Max tow fuel mileage should be close to the 6 speeds milage.
In theory, same trim (with the same tires) on both should get about the same mpg. (Slightly better city mpg with the auto due to the closer gearing, slightly better highway mpg in the manual due to the lack of torque converter).

Final drives will be identical on both transmissions.But Max tow is auto only, so there's no direct exact comparison, although jeep has all the automatics rated the same and all the manuals rated the same, regardless of final drive.

Last edited:

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
There's a few threads on here that cover the 6spd, gas mileage has been pretty subpar on them from what's being reported. MaX Tows from my research get the best mileage, that's subject to who's operating the vehicle as well. Many factors go into what gets better or worse gas mileage.

Sponsored

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There's a few threads on here that cover the 6spd, gas mileage has been pretty subpar on them from what's being reported. MaX Tows from my research get the best mileage, that's subject to who's operating the vehicle as well. Many factors go into what gets better or worse gas mileage.
The gas mileage is about the same on the 6 speed. What I'm seeing, and what the other few with 6 speeds report in the MPG threads is very largely in line with what the automatic brethren have been reporting. But the max tow has highway tires, and is lighter and therefore will get better MPGs than a Mojave or Rubicon will get (only way to get 4.1 on 6 speed). At least in theory anyway. Gas mileage overall on Gladiators isn't what I'd call excellent though. I think we can agree on that. If you're buying for fuel economy, it's not really a great choice, except the Diesel.

OP
OP

F&D

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
The gas mileage is about the same on the 6 speed. What I'm seeing, and what the other few with 6 speeds report in the MPG threads is very largely in line with what the automatic brethren have been reporting. But the max tow has highway tires, and is lighter and therefore will get better MPGs than a Mojave or Rubicon will get (only way to get 4.1 on 6 speed). At least in theory anyway. Gas mileage overall on Gladiators isn't what I'd call excellent though. I think we can agree on that. If you're buying for fuel economy, it's not really a great choice, except the Diesel.
Believe it or not I actually bought the Max tow to tow our 4000 lbs camper. Then once we are there to do moderate trails or sand dunes. Well there is also the part were the wife said if the doors don't come off I don't want it. Bingo only the gladiator checked all the boxes.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Believe it or not I actually bought the Max tow to tow our 4000 lbs camper. Then once we are there to do moderate trails or sand dunes. Well there is also the part were the wife said if the doors don't come off I don't want it. Bingo only the gladiator checked all the boxes.
I bought it because I wanted a jeep. But I wanted a truck. Couldn't decide. So I got both! Haha. Easily and by far my favorite vehicle that I've ever owned. So much fun. I've had fast cars. I've had cars that handle like a dream. The Gladiator is neither. But something about it, something intangible, makes it perfect! This is my first truck (not my first "Wrangler"), so I didn't know what to expect, but I love it!

OP
OP

F&D

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
It's "." Not "/". Help out the searchers later on.
Got it. If I would have used the correct syntax in my search probably would have found the information I was looking for.
Thanks

Sponsored

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
2024 JTR, Bright White AT; 2022 JTR MT (traded)
Occupation
geoarchaeologist (retired)
In theory, same trim (with the same tires) on both should get about the same mpg. (Slightly better city mpg with the auto due to the closer gearing, slightly better highway mpg in the manual due to the lack of torque converter).

Final drives will be identical on both transmissions.But Max tow is auto only, so there's no direct exact comparison, although jeep has all the automatics rated the same and all the manuals rated the same, regardless of final drive.
I agree Chad, but with the MT (I've always driven MTs) it's individually specific. My wife shifts way before I do (drives me crazy), but I've never calculated mpg differences. Toyota assigns better mileage to the autos, but their ATs are POS's.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree Chad, but with the MT (I've always driven MTs) it's individually specific. My wife shifts way before I do (drives me crazy), but I've never calculated mpg differences. Toyota assigns better mileage to the autos, but their ATs are POS's.
Absolutely. I get better MPGs one day to the next, just depending if I want to shift like I have a "sport mode" or not haha. Sometimes I shift early and smooth and focus on MPGs. Sometimes I just want to have some fun. It makes a difference for sure. In general, I get better MPGs than my wife, butt she uses overdrive less than me.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Torque converter isn't in play on the highway. The automatic if driven by the exact same person in the exact same way as a manual would do better than the manual because the computer can keep the engine RPM exactly where it needs to be. Torque and other factors are taken into account and the gear is chosen for best results.

There isn't the same "slippage" as in the past because the converter is locked. There is no loss. So that part is the same as a manual. The lockup occurs without you knowing or feeling it. Our transmissions have amazing torque converters and lock on the highway.

These days an automatic should out-do a manual in MPG if all else is exactly the same. There's no reason for it to not - and many reasons for it to be.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Torque converter isn't in play on the highway. The automatic if driven by the exact same person in the exact same way as a manual would do better than the manual because the computer can keep the engine RPM exactly where it needs to be. Torque and other factors are taken into account and the gear is chosen for best results.

There isn't the same "slippage" as in the past because the converter is locked. There is no loss. So that part is the same as a manual. The lockup occurs without you knowing or feeling it. Our transmissions have amazing torque converters and lock on the highway.

These days an automatic should out-do a manual in MPG if all else is exactly the same. There's no reason for it to not - and many reasons for it to be.
But the manual is rated one mpg better on the highway for some reason (near nothing, but it's something...) Maybe it's just the slightly different gear ratios, or the fact that it's ever so slightly lighter. I don't know. My mpg seems in line with the automatic folks, so the difference is miniscule regardless. 16/23 manual, 17/22 automatic, dead heat overall. The torque converter seemed to be the most logical culprit, but otherwise, I just don't know. the weight difference is miniscule at 22 lbs, so I'm not sure what the reason is.

I do, however, follow the fuel economy threads, and the 3 or 4 of us manual owners seem to get pretty much identical mpg to the automatics.
Sponsored

Last edited: