Sponsored

Driving difference for 3.73 vs. 4.10 gears?

usc4duke

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
350z; 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I tried to search but did not see an answer for this.
Is there any difference that you would feel/see with regard to driving for the two different types of gears (3.73 vs 4.10)? If so, what?
Sponsored

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
4.10s are going to accelerate faster and decelerate faster on lift. However the trade off is greater fuel consumption per mile driven and higher engine speed per given road speed.

In basic terms the 4.10s will feel quicker and 3.73 will feel faster. Do you plan on towing or moderate to aggressive off-roading?

basicGlad

First Name
GBP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
miata, vw bugg, subaru
Build Thread
Link
depends what kind of driving you do. 4.1 will give you worse fuel economy if you're 85% highway driving over 60 mph. but if you're mostly driving in town, 4.1 will give you a lower rpm for the same torque a 3.73 will, and you'll get better fuel economy with 4.1 driving 85% in town or stop and go.

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
If you’re going to run 33” tall or taller tires get the 4.1
If you’re going to tow, get 4.1
Stock forever 3.73

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I tried to search but did not see an answer for this.
Is there any difference that you would feel/see with regard to driving for the two different types of gears (3.73 vs 4.10)? If so, what?
No. It's imperceptible. We're talking 150 RPM on the highway, which you can't even see on the tachometer. In practicality, there is no difference.

The reason auto makers play this game is because when you're mass producing vehicles, MPG matters down to decimal places.

You and I will never see any real world differences between the two.

Sponsored

OP
OP
usc4duke

usc4duke

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
350z; 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I am planning on towing a boat in the future (not sure of the eventual size I will buy - figure I can safely do a ~20' bowrider), so I am planning to get the 4.10 gears but I am test driving a 3.73 gear one this weekend. I was wondering if I would even notice a difference?!?
No big mods planned.

Rokon

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
I am planning on towing a boat in the future (not sure of the eventual size I will buy - figure I can safely do a ~20' bowrider), so I am planning to get the 4.10 gears but I am test driving a 3.73 gear one this weekend. I was wondering if I would even notice a difference?!?
No big mods planned.
Definitely get the max tow package. That gets you the 4.10 gearing and you will want that.....

Chilli

First Name
Wolfgang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GLADIATOR RUBICON
Occupation
RETIRED
Less throttle use in city w/ 4.10

Life at boat ramps is much easier w/ 4.10

Wife likes our current JTR over earlier Jeeps & her daily ride is an AMG

redriderjf87

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
saltmustflow.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT, '81 Z-28, '18 TW200, '72 CT 175
Occupation
Electrical Controls Engineer
If you drive under 75 on the highway, I doubt you would see any mpg drop with 4.10's. If anything, you'll see a mpg increase in city driving.

RHRT

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Jeep Owner
Had my 3:73s swapped out for 4:10s about 2 months ago. I have not yet noticed a MPG drop or gain, seems to be about the same. It does get off the line a bit quicker and I did notice when mountain driving and dropping to lower gears downhill, was perceptibly better when manually selecting a lower gear to save on downhill breaking. We will be towing a small camper trailer(or popup) soon, hence the gear swap. I had a local mechanic(does this for a living, but had to wait a year) perform the gear change. So far, so good, and happy we made the change.
Sponsored