First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Building engineer
The 1st gear on the new manual trans. is deeper, but 2 through 6 are all taller than the outgoing trans. AND the new models have larger tires on them. So you want the deepest axle gearing you can possibly get to make up for that. I agree they should have 4.56 or 4.88 from the factory as an option.
Sorry for the ridiculous question. You seem to knowledgeable. The 4:10 gears we are referring to are in the transmission. So one set per vehicle or one in each axle? Thank you very much for the answer

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
4.56 would be even better stock. IMHO the Gladiator is severely under geared with the manual transmission. I went 5.13 gears for 37inch tires Ana’s it just about perfect.

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
4.56 would be even better stock. IMHO the Gladiator is severely under geared with the manual transmission. I went 5.13 gears for 37inch tires Ana’s it just about perfect.
towing on 5.13s. check it out

kd1yt

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JT Sport S Red, 2014 Ural sidecar 2wd motorcycle, '51 Dodge M37
I have a Sport S 6spd 3.73 and for the last month, I'm rolling on Mojave wheels with 285/70-17 Falken ATs. I would not say I'm unhappy with it, and the ECU seems to have relearned and there are driving circumstances in my driving where this works especially well. But if I were frequently having to accelerate into or in dense traffic, or tow, I'd not be liking it. No regrets for myself in my circumstances, but FWIW, for others.

Addition/edit- I find that with the 3.73 with 33's I am in more of a 'sweet spot' for gears and rpm, in locations I drive, in other words, I can stay one gear lower than I otherwise would (with the stock 245/75-17) and be in the 1800-2000 rpm range where I can accelerate, but not being in 'buzzy' rpm ranges that I would have been in, in the same gears, with the 245s. But if I want the truck to 'move out' wearing the 285s, I've got to very mindfully and deliberately mind and 'work' the shift points (if I do that, it moves quite well, but if you weren't tuned in and working it, it'd bog down).

Last edited:

Sponsored

redriderjf87

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
saltmustflow.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT, '81 Z-28, '18 TW200, '72 CT 175
Occupation
Electrical Controls Engineer
I won't be regearing most likely until after the warranty is out, but at that point I'm debating between 4.10 and 4.56. Don't see myself going bigger than 33's but even on stock 32's I don't fear the gear.

Beewdawg

First Name
Brewdawg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator
Occupation
Truck driver
Max tow was an option that I passed on when I ordered my M6 base sport.
Wish I would have gotten it when I had the chance.
My only regret.

Frank...

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S 6-speed
I absolutely love driving my Sport S 6 speed with 3.73 gears on Rubicon takeoffs. That being said, it’s a dog!
Can’t merge into traffic or takeoff quickly. Loading up with camping gears & kayaks and dealing with inclines is a chore. Hopefully the recon package with the 4.88 gears makes its way over to the gladiator. Otherwise, I’ll be regearing to 4.88’s & putting on 35’s.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Max tow was an option that I passed on when I ordered my M6 base sport.
Wish I would have gotten it when I had the chance.
My only regret.
No max tow on manual transmissions models. That was just the towing package, if it was offered on your manual. Only way to get 4.1s from the factory with a stick is on a Rubi or Mojave.

Sponsored

Beewdawg

First Name
Brewdawg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator
Occupation
Truck driver
No max tow on manual transmissions models. That was just the towing package, if it was offered on your manual. Only way to get 4.1s from the factory with a stick is on a Rubi or Mojave.
I remember the guy asking me if I wanted the max tow option when I ordered my JT.
I told him I wouldn't need that because I don't plan on towing anything of substantial weight.

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
checkout 5.13 vs 4.88 real world comparison. Thanks @Jt-wrx for recommending this and the collaboration!

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
2024 JTR, Bright White AT; 2022 JTR MT (traded)
Occupation
geoarchaeologist (retired)
Those of you choosing a manual transmission what will you go with? All models except the Rubicon will be 3.73 and the Rubicon is 4.10. I personally don't need all the extra goodies that come with the Rubicon but having the 4.10 would be nice, its going to depend on how big the price gap is going to be. What will you choose and why?
Doesn't the tow package on the cheaper models get you 4.10?

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Doesn't the tow package on the cheaper models get you 4.10?
Not an option with the manual transmission. Max Tow is only an option on Sport /Sport S with the 8 speed auto.

IMHO 4.10 is too tall in the Rubicon. I’m running 5.13 and 37” tires and love it.

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
2024 JTR, Bright White AT; 2022 JTR MT (traded)
Occupation
geoarchaeologist (retired)
Not an option with the manual transmission. Max Tow is only an option on Sport /Sport S with the 8 speed auto.

IMHO 4.10 is too tall in the Rubicon. I’m running 5.13 and 37” tires and love it.
I'm sticking with 305s or 315s, so the Mopar 4.88s should be good. That would be about 0.88 over the same final ratio with 315s, so mileage wouldn't be affected much or might be even better.
Sponsored