Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Rubicon, 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired
IF it was 25A, yes.
But, he’s looking at 22A, which was rounded up from a number derived using 12V. A more accurate voltage would be 13.5, which, based on his stated lamp wattage, gives under 20A.
A 12 gauge wire will be fine.

Kevin
I missed the 22A part. I misread the post. In any case, the amperage is still over 20 A and the guide I pulled up still suggests 10 gauge for that. Also, you don't use 13.5V because you want to run these without the engine running. In that case 12.5 volts would be better so why not stick with 12V when calculating amperage? It all depends on the margin the OP wants. What if he decides he wants to run 2 more lights for side lighting to the same power source at some point in the future? Then he won't have to rerun any wire if he sizes up. It also depends on the length of the wire for that final single wire run to power too. Admittedly, his use case is right on the boundary between those two wire gauges.
Sponsored

OP
OP
FKN Slayer

FKN Slayer

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sarge Green Gladiator
Occupation
Sam's Club Receiving associate
Ever since I discovered deutsch connectors, I won't use anything else. they are a little pricey but reliable and fun to build. There are many types and I'm constantly replacing with something better as I venture deeper into the rabbits hole that is custom wiring. you can even find the more basic ones (what I am currently using) on amazon. They are waterproof and should fare just fine for what we are doing.

I should note, I immediately cannibalized the wiring harness that came with the lights and built my own that plugs in directly behind the lights, connecting them all together right away. that harness then plugs into a QD that runs down.

what lights are you going with?
I am just using cheap Oedro 7" round for now. I'm not going to buy a harness because I was just going to cut it all apart anyways. I'll check out those connectors you suggested.

Edub

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S (FULL PULL)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Security Response Manager
I am just using cheap Oedro 7" round for now. I'm not going to buy a harness because I was just going to cut it all apart anyways. I'll check out those connectors you suggested.
I had those lights (the Nilight variant) on my wrangler, they get the job done and are fairly bright.

OP
OP
FKN Slayer

FKN Slayer

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thanks for all the tips and tricks for my wiring job. Got the lights wired yesterday and it was far easier than I was making the job out to be. I'm not positive I love the height of the bar though. The lights blast over the cab and have zero deflection, so I might just leave it as is.

jeep with lights.jpg

Sponsored

Edub

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S (FULL PULL)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Security Response Manager
Thanks for all the tips and tricks for my wiring job. Got the lights wired yesterday and it was far easier than I was making the job out to be. I'm not positive I love the height of the bar though. The lights blast over the cab and have zero deflection, so I might just leave it as is.

jeep with lights.jpg

they do look pretty high but ill bet they throw a great amount of light.

mine are much lower and the cab does get in the way a little but gave me a great excuse to add a couple to the front bumper as filler light and now its perfect.

OP
OP
FKN Slayer

FKN Slayer

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
they do look pretty high but ill bet they throw a great amount of light.

mine are much lower and the cab does get in the way a little but gave me a great excuse to add a couple to the front bumper as filler light and now its perfect.
It is about 2" too tall, but I can fold it flat or since I made it QD, I can remove it completely. When I add a shooting platform, the bar will be perfect height for a rifle rest, which everyone needs, lol.
Sponsored