Sponsored

8.4 u connect from a jeep jl installed in gladiator back up cam ?

block

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep jk
so i found a jeep jl 8.4 u connect take out and installed it in the gladiator ... everything works great except the back up camera...i just get a blue screen... says camera not available .. the backup cam works perfect with the 7 inch... even put it back in to test works fine... just wondering if anyone had a idea what would be different with the camera from the jl to the gladiator.. i figured everything would be the same... i even tried two different jl 8.4 u connects.. both will not show the gladiator back up camera .. strange.. ? any ideas ? thanks

20200406_162514.jpg
Sponsored

Walldo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Did the JL it came out of have a back up camera? If not you will have to take it to a dealer and have the radio flashed for the back up camera.

OP
OP

block

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep jk
Did the JL it came out of have a back up camera? If not you will have to take it to a dealer and have the radio flashed for the back up camera.

yes they both did... i even tired turning on and off the camera with the tazer... no luck.... im thinking adding the radio to my vin / build might make it work ? must be something in the gladiator that needs to communicate with the backup cam on the 8.4

Walldo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Somethings not talking to the other, I wouldn't think the cameras are different for the JL to the JT but they might be. Worst case call the service department and ask a service tech. They might have the answer, or at least point you in the right direction.

z0lt3c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Build Thread
Link
This information is not confirmed but based on my research, what I have been told is the JT uses a digital signal for the backup camera. This was not introduced on the JL until perhaps the 2020 model (if at all). I've tried a few different JL radio take-offs in my JT and none of t hem have worked w/ the backup camera.

Sponsored

Walldo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
That would explain it. Can the dealer flash the radio to work with the digital camera signal?

OP
OP

block

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep jk
This information is not confirmed but based on my research, what I have been told is the JT uses a digital signal for the backup camera. This was not introduced on the JL until perhaps the 2020 model (if at all). I've tried a few different JL radio take-offs in my JT and none of t hem have worked w/ the backup camera.

ya know that was my first thought... but i thought the JLs had a digital back up camera also .. but like you said maybe they didnt start till 2020.... i bet that is the issue .. thanks for the idea... i think you might be right .. i would think you might be able to flash the radio for the digital backup cam..

LoneMulw

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I’m having the same issue did we ever find a fix to this? Please let me know

OP
OP

block

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep jk
No never could make the backup cam work with a jl 8.4. Tried a few. So I sold it and found. a jt take out 8.4. And everything works perfectly...so something is different with the jl backup system I'm guessing the way it is processed like someone else said .

Rayzzz

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I have the 7.0 in my max tow but would like the 8.4. Is the 8.4 just plug and play?

Sponsored

OP
OP

block

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep jk
I have the 7.0 in my max tow but would like the 8.4. Is the 8.4 just plug and play?
Yes plug and play, easy as long as u get a gladiator take out. The jl 8.4 works just no backup cam with the jl one unfortunately. So try and find a jt one.

LoneMulw

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Where did you find the jt radio?
Sponsored