First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, Audi SQ5, Audi A3, Smart Roadster Brabus,
Build Thread
Link
As a long time owner of Jeeps ('42 MB, 70's CJ7, TJ, JK and Grand Cherokee) I'm planning my next one and it'll be a Gladiator Rubicon. At the end of my time here in Qatar I plan to drive back to the UK overland taking in as many different countries as I can. While that is some way off, I'm looking into the practicalities of importing a jeep from the US as the Gulf region Jeeps seem to lack the winter pack which I'd really like once back in the UK.

More immediately, a couple of questions:

• Can the digital display show KM/h?
  • Does anyone have experience of driving them in high dust/ sand environments (are there any early wearing parts in these conditions?)
  • I ran Cooper AT/3s on my JK. At 37" they are only fractionally heavier than the factory tyres, other than the speedo, how much is this really going to hit my real-world performance?
  • There lots of posts that refer to Rubicons with 2" lifts - isn't this standard from the factory or are people adding another 2" giving 4" overall?
Any help gratefully received and I look forward to being able to share pics when I finally join the family.
Sponsored

SteveInOrlando

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Software Design
Speedometer can be changed to display in KMH easily. It is a user friendly setting.

with 37's on you will probably want a re-gear. Especially on the highways in that part of the world.

Yes, everyone is talking about adding another 2" of lift. Stock you can run up to 35" tires without a lift. You might get some slight rubbing at full turn, but I have seen videos of people pushing the limit and fully compressed, they could still get a hand all the way around the top of the tire, so it wasn't rubbing on the top.

The other questions, I don't know so I will let others respond to them.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
Canada means km/h are easily selectable, thank your cousins.

The heated steering wheel is a favorite of my wife's, even though it seemed superfluous in California. Seat warmers, too. Definitely worth getting if you'll be ending up somewhere coolish.

The Rubicon's are *maybe* 1.75 cm taller even though the springs are basically 2.5cm taller than Sport models in front. Part of the improved clearance is also the higher mounted front fenders. The spring rate is very different to the Max Tow in the rear, as well. The longer springs are for compliance, not height.

The Mopar 2" lift raises Sport/Overland models 2" and leaves a little height on the table for the Rubicon models. Again, fender clearance is a significant difference, side by side in comparison it is obvious. For 37" tires, you'll want to get a lift if you're going to do Rubicon type things. The 37" will PROBABLY fit in the spare well, Jeep put lots of extra room there.

The BFG KO2's in 315/70R17 on factory wheels do not rubbed when fully crossed up with the sway bar disconnected. They are "metric" 35's in comparison to the E range 35-12.5R17 KO2. 34.4" diameter vs 34.5". 37" anything, even the undersized BFG's, are going to rub, so get the lift.

As for re-gearing, that's an interesting question. If you're going to tow at or near capacity, then you're losing leverage and picking up rotating mass in comparison to the original tire size. If I didn't tow with my JTR, though, I'd put BFG 37's on and skip re-gearing. The massive number of gear choices combined with the very low transfer case gearing makes the minor loss of leverage really irrelevant. Losing a 2nd overdrive gear on the freeway is really not a big deal to me. Your call.

I've driven two different California deserts so far. Dust is fairly well sealed out. There is a replaceable cabin filter. The engine intake filter is LARGE and easily replaced. The door sealing is quite good, despite them being removeable, due to water fording ratings. I don't see anything to cause concern about premature wear.

Is it the best I've seen? No. The old Hummer H2 had triple seals around all doors, and a GIGANTIC air filter. They had deleted the early cabin air filter on the later model year I bought, but the lack of dust intrusion in the cabin was really remarkable. The Jeep is fine in sand, in comparison.

In a different context, the H2 was like all my other 4x4's, I kept it on "street" factory AT's (the KO 315/70R17 originally, then upgraded to KO2's) and then ran 37's MT's for Spring weather or when going somewhere gnarly. No lift required, minor swaybar rubbing, and tires make a huge difference off-road.

I'm to the point of getting a set of 37" muds for this Jeep, too. Not travel trailer compatible, though, for sure!

Reactions: mog
OP
OP
jeepstertim

jeepstertim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Thank you for responses to date, the deed is done and although it lacks the cold weather pack and leather, it has pretty much everything else, a deposit is down.

The GCC (Gulf region cars) all have a warning beeper when 120kmh is reached, has anyone else come across this and can it be switched off?

The factory tyre here is the BF Mud, not the Falkens- go figure!

Last edited:
OP
OP
jeepstertim

jeepstertim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
So taken collection and now 400km in. Observations? I don't like the BFG MT, noisy, wobbly and dig into the sand (35" ATs to come). Having always run diesels it feels a bit gutless but I'm not in a rush so can live with that.

I'm impressed with comfort off road, the level of 'tech' in it for a Jeep, Android Auto (how did we get by before it!), the feeling of quality (my JK doors never closed so solidly) and generally I'm very impressed and pleased.

Plans are 35s, levelling kit, mopar steel bumper and winch, some form of bed cover and a tent. I'll be driving this home from Qatar at the end of my time so want to take the opportunity to explore.

I love the rear lights (different from US) and the Euro wing mirrors. Glad to be here.

Jeep Gladiator A Brit in Qatar 20210710_124103_resized
Jeep Gladiator A Brit in Qatar 20210709_135046_resized
Jeep Gladiator A Brit in Qatar 20210709_135056_resized
Jeep Gladiator A Brit in Qatar 20210710_124024_resized

Sponsored

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
A buddy of mine in Durban swears by all weather street tires on the beach, aired down. The less tread to dig in, the better, in his lights. He's got a Diesel Nissan pickup for launching surf boats, but not too different to desert sand.

Muds are the worst choice for sand, for sure!

Haley

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave, 1981 CJ8
Occupation
Landscaping
Home is the UK, I'm working in Qatar for a couple of years. I thought I'd take 3 months and drive overland back to the UK.

Take some time to explore.
Yes, but what route are you planning? Hard to see a route that doesn't involve paying off a warlord or two.

OP
OP
jeepstertim

jeepstertim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Yes, but what route are you planning? Hard to see a route that doesn't involve paying off a warlord or two.
Right, with you.

Simplest and least favourite is Saudi to Egypt then Europe. 2nd is Iran (if I can get in (possibly easier from Qatar)) and then strike NW through various 'stans to Russia and home. The route I'd most like to do is ship to India, Nepal and then NW to Russia. I'm struggling with the India route as I have no wish to revisit Afghanistan, go through Islamabad and I think China might be tough.

On the plus side, I'm not doing it until spring 23 so a bit of time to plan.

Sponsored

Capricorn

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mohave 2021 - Sarge Green
Occupation
Network Architect
Why not ship to Turkey or Greece or Italy and then drive from there? Much safer isn't it - without losing much of the adventure?

OP
OP
jeepstertim

jeepstertim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Why not ship to Turkey or Greece or Italy and then drive from there? Much safer isn't it - without losing much of the adventure?
The trouble is that's Europe and I could make Tuscany to home in 2 days driving. I'm quite keen to see a little more of the world.
Sponsored