Sponsored

About to make a deal and last minute the dealer tells me the vehicle has over 4000 miles...

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
I would still consider getting the car, but not when I was quoted the same price for one that has 20 miles on it.
For the same price, I'd take the one with no miles. I mean, basically I'd do the same "over-mile" calculation that the leasing company would do. They consider miles to have a cost, why wouldn't you?

I was annoyed mine has 64 miles on it lol.
That's funny, mine had exactly that when I bought it also. I didn't know what to make of it, but it was low enough to not care. My two previous JKs each had 7 miles on them.
Sponsored

Erievon

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTR., 2021 JLU Altitude
Occupation
International Banker
All things aside, that's 4k miles of the factory bumper to bumper warranty gone, and 4k miles of tire gone. You negotiated assuming this thing had no (or very little miles). Tell them they need to cut a better deal to compensate for these things, maybe throw in some kind of extended warranty too.

Alan_Hepburn

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Sport S; 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E
Occupation
Retired
All things aside, that's 4k miles of the factory bumper to bumper warranty gone...
Unless things have changed the factory warranty starts the day the first retail purchaser takes delivery, NOT the day the odometer is installed...

Erievon

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTR., 2021 JLU Altitude
Occupation
International Banker
Unless things have changed the factory warranty starts the day the first retail purchaser takes delivery, NOT the day the odometer is installed...
Woah, I didn't know that. I always assumed when the odo clicked 36k exactly, the warranty was done, no matter who put the miles on it. That would make me feel a little better about this.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
That’s not necessarily true. The warranty starts once the in service date starts on the vehicle. If it was a demo or loaner, the in service date started a long time ago. Both time and mileage.

Sponsored

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
My in-service date which applies to the warranty end date is the date I picked it up. But the miles that were already on it are NOT accounted for. It still shows the ending miles as exactly what the warranty says.

Alan_Hepburn

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Sport S; 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E
Occupation
Retired
The standard warranty paperwork shows the 3 year/36K miles but somewhere on all the papers you signed it will have the actual miles on the vehicle when you bought it - that's the number that goes into the computer, and that's the number the service department will reference for any warranty coverage. The only thing that would change that, as mentioned previously, is if the dealer took the vehicle out of inventory for some reason, such as using it as a demo, or a loaner, or to take advantage of factory dealer incentives - then the warranty started when it was removed from inventory.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
The standard warranty paperwork shows the 3 year/36K miles but somewhere on all the papers you signed it will have the actual miles on the vehicle when you bought it - that's the number that goes into the computer, and that's the number the service department will reference for any warranty coverage.
Not in my case. Maybe they ignored it because it was only 67 miles, but may paperwork shows those miles, and the end mileage for the warranty does NOT account for that.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
It depends on whether the car has been “punched” or not. When it’s “punched” is when the warranty/in service date starts. With that many miles, I’d be surprised if it wasn’t. It’d still be considered a new car even if punched, just less remaining warranty.

Hipbilly

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport, 2007 FJ Cruiser
FWIW, I bought mine "used" last November with 3,500 miles on it, from the Mercedes dealer... Someone traded it in for a C-class.
Its a soft top Sport with a manual trans, and it STILL stickered for $39,450.
They had it listed for $34,850. Some person lost almost $1.50 per mile to break my truck in for me.....

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
Whoever used it may have driven it like he stole it, definitely had no investment in it or its condition.
Totally agree. The manual spells out the driving procedure for the first few hundred miles for proper break-in and you can be sure no attention was paid to that.
Sponsored