First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator mojave
Occupation
Retired
I though for sure I must be doing something wrong the first time. It was a pain. But yea, ya kinda remember what to do after the first time.

that said the harnesses are practically telephone wire. Light gauge signal wire.
Don’t want to mess with them much.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I must just be trained or numb to it from years of installing car stereos commercially. I had it in my head that getting to these connections was going to be absolute hell and I'd be fighting this horrendous battle in the Florida heat.

I put my hand right up there and grabbed them no problem, and have done it blind 2 or 3 times now. Psych myself out for nothing
We've sort of unofficially determined that there are subtle differences in these trucks, especially early on like in 2020 as some were easy, others were a pain to even reach.
And of course the human anatomy - as has been pointed out a bazillion times - varies, too. Long fingers, short fingers, fat fingers, skinny fingers, and so on.
There are wires and harnesses in some that others don't have.

So to say "they are easy" is like saying every bird flies the same way because they are all birds, saying they are all difficult is also bunk.
Some guys will say the seats are perfect, others want to rip them out and toss them in a crusher.
Some can do an Olympic type pole vault with ease, others won't even make it off the ground.

Some use a 16 pound finger tip grip bowling ball (me), some would gutter ball every time they tried to use my custom bowling ball.
Maybe that tells people a bit about differences - do we all use the exact same bowling ball weight and finger hole drill?

So I'm not really sure why this is even still a discussion at all - if it's easy for YOU, it's easy for YOU. If it's not, then get the extension cables.

I will add - if it was easy, then they'd never ever sell a set of those cables and they'd take them out of their product listing.

mr. cob

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
mr-cob.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2021, Gladiator, Rubicon, Snazzberry, MANY others
Occupation
retired
Howdy All,

I am in need of some education concerning the extension cable for the Tazer Mini. I installed the Tazer Mini, and dread ever having to deal with it, however I have an oil change coming up soon and have been advised to remove it before taking the Jeep to the dealer for the oil change.

So my question is in three parts. ONE, if this cable is left in place doesn't it provide evidence of changes made to the factory electrical system even if the Tazer Mini, is not in place?

TWO, How does this cable work, does it plug into the factory wiring under the dash and with the Tazer Mini, removed the factory plugs are then plugged into the extension cable to complete the circuits?

THREE, From the factory or dealers point of view, why would one install this cable if not to change something?

I am just tying to figure out how the dealer is supposed to be fooled into thinking nothing has been done when there is a non factory cable installed under the dash where things like the Tazer Mini, would be plugged in.

Thanks for any enlightenment you can shed this subject.

Dave

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Howdy All,

I am in need of some education concerning the extension cable for the Tazer Mini. I installed the Tazer Mini, and dread ever having to deal with it, however I have an oil change coming up soon and have been advised to remove it before taking the Jeep to the dealer for the oil change.

So my question is in three parts. ONE, if this cable is left in place doesn't it provide evidence of changes made to the factory electrical system even if the Tazer Mini, is not in place?

TWO, How does this cable work, does it plug into the factory wiring under the dash and with the Tazer Mini, removed the factory plugs are then plugged into the extension cable to complete the circuits?

THREE, From the factory or dealers point of view, why would one install this cable if not to change something?

I am just tying to figure out how the dealer is supposed to be fooled into thinking nothing has been done when there is a non factory cable installed under the dash where things like the Tazer Mini, would be plugged in.

Thanks for any enlightenment you can shed this subject.

Dave
The extension cable plugs into the factory ports in the security gateway and extends them below the dash so they are easy to reach. You plug the factory cables into the extended ports and push them up out of sight. Dealer doesn't care, as long as they have access to the OBD port. They are not going to be looking under there, unless you have issues that require it. In which case, you might want to pull it for service.

mgw750

First Name
Mke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Altitude
Occupation
Machinist
It must be easier in my truck , cause installing or removing doesn't take 10 seconds. Eather that or I'm especially gifted. 😁

Sponsored

mr. cob

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
mr-cob.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2021, Gladiator, Rubicon, Snazzberry, MANY others
Occupation
retired
The extension cable plugs into the factory ports in the security gateway and extends them below the dash so they are easy to reach. You plug the factory cables into the extended ports and push them up out of sight. Dealer doesn't care, as long as they have access to the OBD port. They are not going to be looking under there, unless you have issues that require it. In which case, you might want to pull it for service.
Howdy Bill,

Thanks, I am going to order the cable, I had a HELL of a time getting the factory plugs out and the Tazer Mini, in.

Dave

OP
OP
TheDerb

TheDerb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon
I bought the extension cable today.

I plugged the cord I detached into my taser, and I am interested in the live features, so I currently have my taser plugged in. So, just for my knowledge- if I unplug the tazer, and plug the cords into the extension cord, (I will NOT unmarry the tazer) will my truck still save the tire size and gearing changes that the taser made?

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I bought the extension cable today.

I plugged the cord I detached into my taser, and I am interested in the live features, so I currently have my taser plugged in. So, just for my knowledge- if I unplug the tazer, and plug the cords into the extension cord, (I will NOT unmarry the tazer) will my truck still save the tire size and gearing changes that the taser made?
If you just unplug the Tazer, and reconnect the cables, the settings stay. If you unmarry the Tazer, it returns the settings back to the state they were in when it was married to the vehicle. Some have been using Jscan to get the settings to the state they want, and then marrying the Tazer for the live functions. When they unmarry the Tazer for service, they don't lose all the changes they made (unless they made changes with the Tazer after it was installed, then they would lose those specific changes).

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
2024 JTR, Bright White AT; 2022 JTR MT (traded)
Occupation
geoarchaeologist (retired)
Yup. Scraped knuckles and wrists(?) as well as the tops of several of my fingers trying to finagle the SGW plugs out of their OEM homes so that I could plug them into the Tazer. I hadn't intended on it, but the Tazer is now staying plugged in.
Ooof!
The silver lining in this black cloud is that the Jeep techs have to do it too. Smile when and if you go into a Jeep dealer.

Jteakus

First Name
Teakus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD, 2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I've never removed my taser anytime it went to dealer. On my JL they even updated something with the DEF usage with it in the vehicle. I told them it was in there and they didn't care.
Sponsored