Sponsored

Any electronics hobbiests here? Electonics engineer types?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I do restoration of automotive stuff- starters, wiper motors, HVAC blower motors, alternators, and whatever. For years I have used an oscilloscope to diagnose - and test once done as it will show stator issues, diode issues, the output pattern, that sort of stuff. The range is up to 20 volts DC (usually 14-15 unless I full-field the beast then they can jump 16+ on the output)
My trusty Bell and Howell 5MHz triggered sweep scope blew the section of the power supply I'm pretty sure is the voltage doubling area for CRT control. Two caps melted, fried a resistor and took out a couple of diodes. Playing hell trying to get parts with the voltage ranges needed but think I have succeeded (Mouser) and had to play a trick to get the right resistor wattage - a series/parallel arrangement of 1/2 watt to get 1 watt.
I'm crossing fingers and putting things back together, a bazillion wires were taken off that board to get to things for the repairs, and am putting all the wires back into the board now.
HOWEVER, I don't know if other damage was done or not. It worked great for my purposes - plug it in, turn it on, make the connection to ground and the output side of the alternator and test away - I had my pattern to see what was up, check things under load and more. (pics somewhere on one of my other computers)

If it doesn't work - I don't know that I have the ability/skill to make further repairs......
It may be time to call in a pro on this one - OR, get a modern one I could display on a tablet, or one with a digital display.
My problem is that I have NO CLUE what I need! I lucked out with this Bell and Howell (surely a Heathkit) in that it worked when I got it, and it displayed exactly what I wanted in the size wanted, easy to read the screen.
I know almost everything will be coming from China - but some Chinese stuff is junk compared to other - some Chines stuff honestly isn't too bad. I don't know what brand or model to trust- sources (especially if something is wrong later) and what I should look for to do what _I_ need for the alternator testing, the range, etc.
I don't need anything to deal with audio circuits, I've given up that area - never was worth a dang with it anyway. My main, even only, use would be automotive alternators (and wouldn't mind being able to check frequency in the output of a backup generator for home - some I know are way off 60, others pretty good, some can be adjusted if off.

With all of the varied types here, there's got to be someone good with electronics and can make sense of my messed up message. Hard to ask a question if you aren't sure what you are asking about, eh?

Basically, anyone have a recommendation of what to avoid, what would work for what I do - in a modern scope? built-in screen/display would be great but could take a tablet out there, I guess.
Sponsored

Last edited: