Sponsored

Any Full-Size Converts?

drBassman

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator; 2005 VW Passat TDI; Previous: 1978 CJ5; 1997 TJ Sport.
I currently have a full-size 2004 Silverado extended cab with "suicide" doors. When I look at the dimensions of both trucks such as wheel base, bumper-to-bumper length, width, etc. When the Gladiator is different, it is only by 1"-2" or so. The main difference is the length of the bed.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I currently have a full-size 2004 Silverado extended cab with "suicide" doors. When I look at the dimensions of both trucks such as wheel base, bumper-to-bumper length, width, etc. When the Gladiator is different, it is only by 1"-2" or so. The main difference is the length of the bed.
Sorry, if my numbers are correct, and they should be as I pulled the Chevy numbers from my own truck book - more than an inch or so......
I think I got the Jeep Gladiator info from their literature.

Chevy length is 230 while the Jeep is 218 - a foot difference
Width of Chevy is 79.9 while the Jeep is 73.8 - that's 6" difference
That's huge for me. When space is at a premium a foot his huge, even 6" can mean you will or won't close the garage door.

2011 Chevy Silverado-
Wheelbase (in) 143.5
Length, Overall w/o rear bumper (in) 230.2
Width, Max w/o mirrors (in) 79.9
Height, Overall (in) 73.7

2020 Jeep JT-
Wheelbase (in.): 137.3
Overall Length 218.0
Width, Max w/o mirrors (in.): 73.8
Height, Overall (in.): 76.1

drBassman

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator; 2005 VW Passat TDI; Previous: 1978 CJ5; 1997 TJ Sport.
Sorry, if my numbers are correct, and they should be as I pulled the Chevy numbers from my own truck book - more than an inch or so......
I think I got the Jeep Gladiator info from their literature.

Chevy length is 230 while the Jeep is 218 - a foot difference
Width of Chevy is 79.9 while the Jeep is 73.8 - that's 6" difference
That's huge for me. When space is at a premium a foot his huge, even 6" can mean you will or won't close the garage door.

2011 Chevy Silverado-
Wheelbase (in) 143.5
Length, Overall w/o rear bumper (in) 230.2
Width, Max w/o mirrors (in) 79.9
Height, Overall (in) 73.7

2020 Jeep JT-
Wheelbase (in.): 137.3
Overall Length 218.0
Width, Max w/o mirrors (in.): 73.8
Height, Overall (in.): 76.1
You're right--I'm spoiled in that I've got at least 3' to spare in all directions in my garage, so 1' doesn't make much difference to me...

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
You're right--I'm spoiled in that I've got at least 3' to spare in all directions in my garage, so 1' doesn't make much difference to me...
I have to be careful not to hit something when getting in and out of my cars and truck.
I can only open doors about half-way. I have a 27x27 garage with a 16' addition and a large shop (30x36) - all full. I sold one of my cars last week........ so maybe my WJ can be put inside finally. Truck still sits in the lean-to.

Bacon

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR-LE
I had a 2010 JKU and a 2018 F350 crew Lariat 6.2 prior to the JT. I bought the F350 to pull our 6400lb travel trailer, overkill. As much as I loved that truck, it was just too much truck for my needs. I will miss the 430ft/lbs of torque and the integrated brake controller. The trailer is in storage until around March so I'm crossing my fingers that the JT can tow it the hour from storage to our campsite reasonably well.

Sponsored

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
I had a 2010 JKU and a 2018 F350 crew Lariat 6.2 prior to the JT. I bought the F350 to pull our 6400lb travel trailer, overkill. As much as I loved that truck, it was just too much truck for my needs. I will miss the 430ft/lbs of torque and the integrated brake controller. The trailer is in storage until around March so I'm crossing my fingers that the JT can tow it the hour from storage to our campsite reasonably well.
Is the 6400 lb. number your finding, or their claim?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Is the 6400 lb. number your finding, or their claim?
Their travel trailer weighs that much.
You typically know the weight of the trailer as you buy it - at least I did when I bought mine - and sold it again.
My car hauler weights right at 1500 without the tool box and spare.(weighed at factory)

OP
OP
aj8544

aj8544

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR,2018 Wrangler JLU 2.0, 2018 F150
Oh man do i miss the 36 gallon gas tank from my F-150. But that is really it. The F-150 was quieter on the road, but that doesnt really matter to me as it turns out.
The 36 gallon tank has to be my favorite feature on my F150. That and the keypad door lock which I love for hunting etc... But damn it is just so boring, not to mention seeing at least 20 others everyday on my 7 mile commute. I feel like its a pressed plastic box compared to my wife’s JLU, and has been the most problematic vehicle Ive ever driven.

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
@ShadowsPapa

The question was not directed at you. I'm well aware of the yellow sticker on TTs . . . and how far they are from actual loaded weights.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The 36 gallon tank has to be my favorite feature on my F150. That and the keypad door lock which I love for hunting etc... But damn it is just so boring, not to mention seeing at least 20 others everyday on my 7 mile commute. I feel like its a pressed plastic box compared to my wife’s JLU, and has been the most problematic vehicle Ive ever driven.
I can say honestly zero issues at all, not a one, with my Silverado 1500. Not even a squeak or pull or anything at all. It's been perfect. No reason to take it back for anything - just routine maintenance and that's been normal.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
@ShadowsPapa

The question was not directed at you. I'm well aware of the yellow sticker on TTs . . . and how far they are from actual loaded weights.
I never had that much weight in mine - just the battery (because the trailer spec was dry weight), some food, the water (and I tracked that and took the gallons times about 8.4 pounds) and bedding. Some really load 'em up. I didn't so much.

Bacon

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR-LE
@ShadowsPapa

Honestly, it's the yellow sticker's weight. I don't keep any fluids in it and we don't really have many belongings in it when I'm towing it. I have a weight distribution hitch so I think I'll be ok to drive it an hour at 50mph max. I'm certainly not going to take it cross country.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly, it's the yellow sticker's weight. I don't keep any fluids in it and we don't really have many belongings in it when I'm towing it. I have a weight distribution hitch so I think I'll be ok to drive it an hour at 50mph max. I'm certainly not going to take it cross country.
Isn't the Rubicon a 7,000 pound tow? It's more than the Overland I'm getting - 6,000
I'd think unless you load that trailer you'd be fine. Most folks with travel trailers/campers do use wd hitches - at least those I know, and I used to.

sbetts

First Name
SB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 StingGray Rubicon
Full size covert here. Sold our Silverado 2500 4x4 crew cab for the JT. Its a completely different animal. We loved Jeeps (had CJ7) but needed a truck. We had similar debates as many others on the forum~ towing capacity, creature comforts and "real truck-abilities" but when we got right down to taking inventory of how often we actually needed our 2500 to perform like a 2500 it became clear the answer was almost never. We bought the JT and have not looked back! Its more fun, more versatile and brings the outdoors to our commute similar to the motorcycles we sold. We couldn't be happier with the transition. Im sure we will have some occasions that the big truck could have done the job easier/better....but in our scenario the joy from the JT is a much more frequent occurrence!

Bacon

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR-LE
Isn't the Rubicon a 7,000 pound tow? It's more than the Overland I'm getting - 6,000
I'd think unless you load that trailer you'd be fine. Most folks with travel trailers/campers do use wd hitches - at least those I know, and I used to.
Correct, that's exactly why I got the automatic. The Rubicon was a given, but the auto gives you 7K lbs, manual was much lower.
Sponsored