Sponsored

Anybody took off the roll bar plastics?

BreakFixRepeat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I have seen multiple jks and older with the foam removed from the roll bars but cant find any jls or jts done. Im thinking of doing some experimenting here soon in my abundance of spare time. I will post some pics is anybody else wants to see.
Sponsored

BigRed97

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
There will be a lot of visible screw clips & holes

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
The old Jeeps only look mildly ugly with the padding removed. The JL/JT will be horrible with all the odd shapes, holes, clips, etc.

OP
OP
BreakFixRepeat

BreakFixRepeat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
With just a little effort the old jeeps looked good imo with the padding removed. You just had to do a little painting and rerunning wires inside the roll bars. Look up jkgearandgadgets on youtube where he did his jk. I think it looks great myself. And im not saying its gonna look good on the new ones, i asked if anybody had seen it done or if anybody wanted to see pics of what it might look like. In no way shape or form did i ask anybody to waste EVERYBODYS time by just being negative and saying how much of a bad idea it is or how ugly you think it would be. No need to waste server space with your negativity. The world has enough of that in it already.

Sponsored

jayqwellin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport Max Tow (Gobi)
I have seen multiple jks and older with the foam removed from the roll bars but cant find any jls or jts done. Im thinking of doing some experimenting here soon in my abundance of spare time. I will post some pics is anybody else wants to see.
I removed almost all roll bar plastics from my Gobi JT save the trim over the rear view mirror, front and rear grab handles. I love it and dont foresee going back. I like the simplicity and additional head room. I intend to use the holes and screw points as attachment points for some sort of overhead cargo netting to store bulky and lightweight items like jackets and beach towels.

max toe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito, 1998 audi
I removed almost all roll bar plastics from my Gobi JT save the trim over the rear view mirror, front and rear grab handles. I love it and dont foresee going back. I like the simplicity and additional head room. I intend to use the holes and screw points as attachment points for some sort of overhead cargo netting to store bulky and lightweight items like jackets and beach towels.
any photos to give us an idea what it will look like stripped?

jayqwellin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As requested. The only wiring exposed by the process is obviously in the immediate vicinity of the dome light which I have since removed and will replace with some hidden LED lights at some point. One can also reroute the wires to locate them within the hollow roll bars as well, but I havent gotten around to that yet. I find it's more room to maneuver inside the relatively cramped cab. As a bonus, it also provides more space for aftermarket roll bar attachments. The plastic trim was quite bulky.

20200920_074744.jpg

20200920_074830.jpg

20200920_075002.jpg

20200920_075113.jpg

jayqwellin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Before and after for one trim piece. Rear of the cab where the seatbelt meets the roll bar. It entails removing the seatbelt first and then removing the plastic trim.

20200920_075113.jpg

20200920_081115.jpg

max toe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito, 1998 audi
not bad, maybe some hockey stick tape to temporarily cover holes til you use 'em, comes in many colors, easy to remove, if the holes or clip marks bother people

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Wow, that's way uglier than I would have expected. I guess there's no reason to keep things looking good under the plastic though.
Sponsored