Sponsored

Anyone tried the Mopar Sun Bonnet 82215620?

ALVagabond

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR "Praetorian"
It is about time!
I got the Besttop safari top for my Gladiator over the weekend. I ordered it and the windshield channel a few days before Christmas and got them right after.

The windshield channel is one piece (the one I had for my JKU was 2 pieces). The top snaps to it. The top also uses button-head screws like the Mopar, but less of them (I counted 8 for the Bestop and 14 for the Mopar). I haven't compared the screws to see if they're the same size, but they look very similar.

Based on how the Bestop instruction show it attaching to the roof using the channel, center piece, and buttons, it looks like it might be a much better fit than the Mopar top.

I've got the top and channel all put together. I'm just waiting for topless weather to start in April/May.
Sponsored

HydroRubi

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thesonsoflibertyband.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hydro Blue Gladiator Rubicon, Indian Spingfield
Occupation
Musician, Producer
I got the Besttop safari top for my Gladiator over the weekend. I ordered it and the windshield channel a few days before Christmas and got them right after.

The windshield channel is one piece (the one I had for my JKU was 2 pieces). The top snaps to it. The top also uses button-head screws like the Mopar, but less of them (I counted 8 for the Bestop and 14 for the Mopar). I haven't compared the screws to see if they're the same size, but they look very similar.

Based on how the Bestop instruction show it attaching to the roof using the channel, center piece, and buttons, it looks like it might be a much better fit than the Mopar top.

I've got the top and channel all put together. I'm just waiting for topless weather to start in April/May.
Did you get the new one that covers the rear passenger area too? Can it be installed without the factory sorry top door surrounds like it used to be for the 4 door JK? I’m not buying soft top door surrounds for a bikini top.

ALVagabond

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR "Praetorian"
Did you get the new one that covers the rear passenger area too? Can it be installed without the factory sorry top door surrounds like it used to be for the 4 door JK? I’m not buying soft top door surrounds for a bikini top.
This one: https://www.bestop.com/jeep/2020/gladiator/extended-safari-bikini/

It covers the front and rear seats. No door surrounds required (none of the pictures or instructions show surrounds at all). Also, this is a sail cloth top; not a mesh.

Are door surrounds even a thing on Gladiators?

Bestop

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
The Bestop Team
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU

Sponsored

Bestop

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
The Bestop Team
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU
Lee, it doesn't look like you guys have door surrounds available yet for the Gladiator. Are those coming? Mopar ones look to be about $660/set on Quadratec. I assume you'll be able to beat that.
That's correct, we don't offer a door surround kit for a Gladiator yet. I can only imagine it would follow shortly after we release a top for it (and no I don't have any dates yet).
Sorry!

Lee
- the Bestop team
www.bestop.com

ALVagabond

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR "Praetorian"
Looking through the instructions for Bestop's extended safari top for the JT, door surrounds aren't required anyway (the same as they weren't required on the version of this top I had for the JKU).

XJADDICTION

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT SS Max Tow, 2005 WK Hemi, 2013 Mustang GT
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
Has anyone seen this one or ordered?

MasterTop Bimini Plus Summer Top & Windstopper Combo For Jeep Gladiator JT

Jeep Gladiator Anyone tried the Mopar Sun Bonnet 82215620? 1616102355510

canjeep33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT, 2019 WK2
Occupation
Education
Has anyone seen this one or ordered?

MasterTop Bimini Plus Summer Top & Windstopper Combo For Jeep Gladiator JT

Jeep Gladiator Anyone tried the Mopar Sun Bonnet 82215620? 1616102355510
It's sitting in a box in my garage. There is a thread for this top if you want to follow it. No pictures from anyone yet.

ALVagabond

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR "Praetorian"
Just to follow up: I've been using the Bestop extended safari top on my Gladiator for about a month now and I like it. It's much better than the Mopar sun bonnet, which was junk IMO. The rear is a little flappy, but it stays in place and all the snaps have held. I've driven highway speeds with it (78-80mph) for short distances (<10 miles) with no issues. The flapping is worst at about 40-50mph, then kinda chills out after that.

But... it's not perfect....
You need tools every time you install or uninstall it. It takes 2 different sizes of Torx heads (40 and 50, I think, the same ones in your Jeep kit) and pliers or something to keep the lock nuts from spinning. Looking at where the wind channel fits along with the placement of the sun visors, etc., I see why they had to use bolts (instead of the rubberized knobs the JK version had), but I don't see why the went with 2 sizes of torx heads. Different bolt sizes I guess.
Also, the first time you use it, you have to replace some of the trim screws with button-head screws for the snaps. The button-head screws are the same kind that come with the Mopar bonnet. They're phillips head and the metal is a little soft, so it's easy to accidently strip the head.
I think it probably could benefit from an additional snap on either side between the A and B pillars. Also, the middle part that velcros over the sound bar is really tight and can be hard to fasten securely. It could benefit from a bit of extra material. I feel like it's barely grabbing the edge of the velcro.

Overall though, I'm pretty happy with it. It keeps the sun off and some of the rain too.
Sponsored