Beach permits closer than Provincetown

chaosjake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTR (Dolly/Ahab), 2017 WRX (Hilda)
Just got my Gladiator, looking for places to take it in 2022... I may drive out to PTown and see if I can get a beach driving permit for the national park, but are there any options closer to Boston? So far, any other beach that allows oversand driving also has a resident-only restriction, if you dig into it. Any beaches closer to Boston that allows non-resident permits?
Sponsored

Boston Bill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
I believe all the towns in MA are required to have non resident permits. Usually double of the resident sticker? I live in Barnstable and in the late 80's I had a Nauset ORV sticker for double the Barnstable price. I realize it may not still be that way. I just got my Sandy Neck sticker and with the credit card convenience fee it was like $98.50.

OP
OP
chaosjake

chaosjake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I believe all the towns in MA are required to have non resident permits. Usually double of the resident sticker? I live in Barnstable and in the late 80's I had a Nauset ORV sticker for double the Barnstable price. I realize it may not still be that way. I just got my Sandy Neck sticker and with the credit card convenience fee it was like $98.50.
Good looking out! After initially reading the rules for Sandy Neck, I was convinced that permits were for residents only, but I just went back and found the non-resident option for $190. Duxbury also has a non-resident option for $330. I think some towns try to bury the application details for non-resident stickers on their websites.

I think for now, I'll just get the NPS permit for Race Point this year and see how the piping plover season goes.

Boston Bill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
F.Y.I. I don't know if you are aware. When the tourists are here you have to get here way early in the summer to get on the beach. Week ends are the worst, I don't know about during the week as I am still working but I suspect you still need to get here early.
Fall, Winter and Spring is another story, should be no problem!

SPED1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator sport 2005 tj wrangler
Occupation
service & parts supervisor
Back in 2015 when my TJ had a permit at Race Point the ORV areas were off limits to the public, only vehicles allowed. This made it so on July 4th weekend I was 25-30 feet from the next vehicle on the outer cape side. The outer side has dunes to drive then at the beach turn right to keep on the ORV areas or left for the public beach [no vehicles allowed]. As you went further away from the public beach there were rocks not very far out with seals upon them. The rangers watch to make sure you are not screwing with them. You know what finds seals delicious? Sharks! Do the math on that. Back on the inner cape side there is a stretch of sand dunes to drive on. Then a light house. a short while after that is a left turn out onto the beach for a shorter stretch than the outer side. The amount of trails you get depends on the Plovers but My experience was the outer side length was shortened by them and their migration patterns.

Sponsored

Boston Bill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
You know what finds seals delicious? Sharks! Do the math on that. Ya, us locals talk about this a lot of the time.
I had planned to ORV fall, winter and spring. To hard to get around the tourists during the season. And of course their is the piping plovers!

OP
OP
chaosjake

chaosjake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Beach permits closer than Provincetown PXL_20220410_160224934

Well, I got my sticker for Race Point. The town nonresident permits were just too rich for my blood. ORV access should open up this weekend, so I'm hoping to hit the beach 2-3 times before the ferry starts running, to beat the traffic and piping plover. We'll see how the season goes after that.

Boston Bill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Great 👍. Let us know how it is. Am going to hit Sandy Neck in a couple of weeks. Life is in the way of doing it sooner.

fun2drum

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
If you ever have the chance to come down to North Carolina I highly recommend getting out on the NC Outer Banks. The sand is unforgiving and these trucks truly get a chance to prove themselves out there. The scenery is amazing too. Bring some fishing gear if you're into that.

Boston Bill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
And I hear the Carolinas are a great place to live. Us Northerner’s has been moving down there in droves.

Sponsored

OP
OP
chaosjake

chaosjake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you ever have the chance to come down to North Carolina I highly recommend getting out on the NC Outer Banks. The sand is unforgiving and these trucks truly get a chance to prove themselves out there. The scenery is amazing too. Bring some fishing gear if you're into that.
The wife and I did a road trip a couple of weeks ago, from Florida up through the Carolinas to the DC area. The closest we got to the Outer Banks was Beaufort South Carolina, which... isn't that close. Turns out that there are a ton of gladiators in Florida and the Carolinas. I hardly ever see one here in Mass.

Boston Bill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
The wife and I did a road trip a couple of weeks ago, from Florida up through the Carolinas to the DC area. The closest we got to the Outer Banks was Beaufort South Carolina, which... isn't that close. Turns out that there are a ton of gladiators in Florida and the Carolinas. I hardly ever see one here in Mass.
There are a bunch of them in the mid cape area. I drive all around the cape most of the day delivering auto parts and am seeing Jeeps of all kind and many Glads.

Dashiki

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Rubicon, '21 Willys
I’m in Barnstable too. Planning on some camping on Sandy neck in the near future.
Sponsored