Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
Who is RSI?
Oh no here we go again ! :) . . . My favorite, so far, Truck Bed CAP - from South Africa - www.rsismartcap.com .,
Soon to be available nation wide (Early Spring) in 2 flavors - EVO and EVOc (commercial) to tithe Gladiator and the Full size Ram 1500's . Ring a bell now ? :LOL: .
Sponsored

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Oh no here we go again ! :) . . . My favorite, so far, Truck Bed CAP - from South Africa - www.rsismartcap.com .,
Soon to be available nation wide (Early Spring) in 2 flavors - EVO and EVOc (commercial) to tithe Gladiator and the Full size Ram 1500's . Ring a bell now ? :LOL: .
Nope, no bell ringing :champagne:and until til a company is shipping product it’s simply vaporware- unobtanium.

what are they doing about supporting a RTT and humans up top?

OP
OP
Factoid

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
I don’t know how you’re going to install a hard shell RTT that size above the bed without going up above the roof of the Gladiator as the bed is much shorter than the RTT with the dimensions you require.

A flip over RTT is the only way I can see that working for you.
Dan, did you check this one out?

I think it will be just the ticket. Should fit right behind the cab without hanging past the tailgate and has all the dimensions I need. I’m just not sure how strong the unsupported have of the bed platform will be. More research to do, but I have some time.

https://sgbonline.com/pressrelease/roofnest-condor-redefines-hard-shell-rooftop-tent-segment/

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase

I think it will be just the ticket. Should fit right behind the cab without hanging past the tailgate and has all the dimensions I need. I’m just not sure how strong the unsupported have of the bed platform will be. More research to do, but I have some time.

https://sgbonline.com/pressrelease/roofnest-condor-redefines-hard-shell-rooftop-tent-segment/
That's a Roofnest Condor model
Screen-Shot-2019-11-27-at-6.32.25-AM-1024x758.png

They have other models: https://roofnest.com/

The issue for the OP is his requirement for a hardshell RTT that will fit 2 people which dictates the overall size.

There are many RTT's available - the list of manufacturers/sellers seems to be growing which is good for all of us.

Fitting a hardshell tent the size that some want (including me) - a queen size bed sized unit would be ideal - poses real challenges for fitting it onto the Gladiator without going high up over the cab roof.

And I don't want a fold-over/flip RTT

OP
OP
Factoid

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Performance Coach
This rack on my GCM Rubi with the Roofnest Condor will be perfect.

7360D283-4C02-42BF-AC98-3269CAA88BEC.jpeg

E680B666-E628-4F06-9DFD-17A978DDA3F8.jpeg

Sponsored

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

I've taken a look at this one - the Roofnest Condor - and their 2 models - Condor and Condor XL and while there is an expansion component which allows it to have a smaller stored footprint, you're right - it might be ideal for the Gladiator.

I wonder if the Condor Xl at 74" long x 55" wide is too big (too long). I assume the Condor at 60"L x 48"W will work on a rack.

https://roofnest.com/product/condor/#toggle-id-1
Condor and Condor XL
  • Sleeps 2-3 adults (regular) or 3-4 adults (XL)
  • Open: 83″ x 60″ (regular) and 92″ x 74″ (XL)
  • Closed: 60″ long x 48″ wide (regular) and 74″ long by 55″ wide (XL)
  • Interior height: 50″ tall
  • Width (Left-right) between Roofnest mounting rails: 24″ regular 32″ XL
  • Minimum distance (front-back) between your rack’s crossbars: 30″
  • The Condor weighs 150 lbs (170 for the XL)

OP
OP
Factoid

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Performance Coach
Yea, I’m going to try it and will report back.

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Factoid

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Performance Coach
Which one are you going with? What rack?
The rack I posted above with the standard Condor. That will put the top of the tent even with the height of the cab. Perfect fit, but we will see about perfect function.

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The rack I posted above with the standard Condor. That will put the top of the tent even with the height of the cab. Perfect fit, but we will see about perfect function.
Sounds great! I look forward to seeing the setup and the Condor closed and open

Sponsored

Wayne

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Initial Launch Jeep Gladiator
I've been looking for a hardshell tend for my JT, but I've gone with a half height Artec Industries bed rack (nice rack, I like it but with no instructions on mounting it was a frustrating challenge to install). I've not found anything other than soft cover tents that will fit on it. I've thought of adding a swing away spare tire bracket on the back. That way the tent could extend beyond the bed and not be a hazard everytime your loading things into the bed, bend over and bang your head on the tent a dozen times a day. It would have a better look too. But I'm still in analysis paralysis... I'll follow this thread and see if anyone has some ideas I haven't already seen or heard. I'll add a photo to aid in visualizing what I'm getting at..

Wayne

J7.JPG

J5.jpg

J9.JPG

velogeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport S Max Tow
The only hardshell tents that will fit these trucks below the roofline will either hang way off the back or will be the folding iKamper and Roofnest type tents. Problem with those is that they have miniscule space inside when closed compared to a Baroud or Alu-Cab hardshell or a soft tent like Tepui. You will have to live with the OEM mattress or you'll be pulling the air mattress and/or bedding out every morning.

IMO either do the hard shell right and get a full-length above the cab type or get the soft fold-out like a CVT or Tepui that can fit over the bed. The ones that try to do both make a lot of sacrifices to get there and aren't cheaper than entry/mid level hard shells.

robertm55

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 rubicon gladiator
image000000_02.jpg
I have been reading a lot about the ikamper skycamp mini.
Anyone have any thoughts on it?
Looks perfect length for the gladiator bed.
(I have the 18" max modular rack)

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't go to the Adventure Expo in Costa Mesa, CA (SoCal) this past weekend but I saw pics of some of what was on display there. Of course RTTs were very popular and here's the only pics I've seen of a Gladiator with a RTT on it. It's on a Leitner rack but I don't know whose hard shell RTT is used - you can see how the unit has to go over the cab of the Gladiator due to the length.

adventure-expo-2020-four-wheeler-jeep-gladiator.jpg

IMG_8770.jpg

robertm55

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 rubicon gladiator
Looks pretty good.
The reason I am asking about the skycamp mini is the overall length.
It isn't longer than the gladiator bed. Obviously interior dimensions suffer, but still will allow me to flip the top off with the tent mounted.
Sponsored