Sponsored

Best rooftop tent for JT?

velogeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport S Max Tow
Looks pretty good.
The reason I am asking about the skycamp mini is the overall length.
It isn't longer than the gladiator bed. Obviously interior dimensions suffer, but still will allow me to flip the top off with the tent mounted.
It's fine as long as you're flying solo or really like cuddling. Those tents are super narrow inside.

The Roofnest Condor is the best in that quasi hardshell segment. It's 60" long but remember that's the interior bed width. You will have an inch or two up front and several in the rear you can play with.
Sponsored

Kiowa Warrior

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Military
I just purchased a CVT Mt St Helens used and plan on putting it on my Road Armor Treck Rack. I am so glad I went with an adjustable rack, and have used each height so far for various applications. At full height it should be flush or slightly above the roof. I also have a set of Yakima cross bars if needed at medium height. I had a soft RTT, but wanted one I could leave on full time, and not worry about the cover being replaced with the Texas heat and sun. It will most likely just be me using the tent, when the wife and kids visit family, I'll be visiting the trails. I'm hoping I will still be able to drop the top with it installed, even though it will be over the roof a bit. Jeep is currently on newly acquired 35's, and the 3.5 Metalcloak Gamechanger will be installed this Friday! Can't wait.

jeep angle view on 35s.jpg

new tent.jpg

HF with tent.jpg

austrack.jpg

back angle gladiator.jpg

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
I just purchased a CVT Mt St Helens used and plan on putting it on my Road Armor Treck Rack. I am so glad I went with an adjustable rack, and have used each height so far for various applications. At full height it should be flush or slightly above the roof. I also have a set of Yakima cross bars if needed at medium height. I had a soft RTT, but wanted one I could leave on full time, and not worry about the cover being replaced with the Texas heat and sun. It will most likely just be me using the tent, when the wife and kids visit family, I'll be visiting the trails. I'm hoping I will still be able to drop the top with it installed, even though it will be over the roof a bit. Jeep is currently on newly acquired 35's, and the 3.5 Metalcloak Gamechanger will be installed this Friday! Can't wait.

jeep angle view on 35s.jpg

new tent.jpg

HF with tent.jpg

austrack.jpg

back angle gladiator.jpg
Welcome to the forum! I like the idea of an adjustable height rack. JT looks good!

Kiowa Warrior

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Military
I've been looking for a hardshell tend for my JT, but I've gone with a half height Artec Industries bed rack (nice rack, I like it but with no instructions on mounting it was a frustrating challenge to install). I've not found anything other than soft cover tents that will fit on it. I've thought of adding a swing away spare tire bracket on the back. That way the tent could extend beyond the bed and not be a hazard everytime your loading things into the bed, bend over and bang your head on the tent a dozen times a day. It would have a better look too. But I'm still in analysis paralysis... I'll follow this thread and see if anyone has some ideas I haven't already seen or heard. I'll add a photo to aid in visualizing what I'm getting at..

Wayne

Jeep Gladiator Best rooftop tent for JT? back angle gladiator

What is the height of artecs rack? I cant find it on their site

Sponsored

Food2000

First Name
vinh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
Question on the Road Armor Treck Rack, i also like that it's adjustable however i am trying to figure out how easy it is to adjust? I can't seem to find any videos showing the process.

Food2000

First Name
vinh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
I asked a reviewer on youtube and here's the response from Northridge4x4:

"Adjust ability in moving it up and down? You would need to remove the bolt at each leg and loosen up many of the other bolts to be able to get it to move up or down. Not hard to do, just a lot of hardware to loosen/remove."

So it's not quite adjustable imagine like a pop-up nit clicking... you'll have to wrench.

gsxr310

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR & JTR
image000000_02.jpg
I have been reading a lot about the ikamper skycamp mini.
Anyone have any thoughts on it?
Looks perfect length for the gladiator bed.
(I have the 18" max modular rack)
I have this and it’s perfect for 2 adults and a 10y/o

F1AA2428-1AC3-425C-9E13-143DF009BB99.jpeg

ron168

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Rubi, '20 JT Rubi LE, '17 GLS63
I have 3 up top and I slept in a cot in the annex with plenty of room to spare. Had a blast.
Jeep Gladiator Best rooftop tent for JT? IMG_3094

Sponsored

Chris-AZ

First Name
Christophe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon 2020
Well... if you're familiar with the Wayout concept.... this is what they ran on it:

https://www.autohomeus.com/roof-top-tents/maggiolina-extreme/

I'm planning on either this or James Baroud myself.
I had a hard shell from James Baroud very well-made, quality components it had a solar-powered fan that helps to prevent moisture in the tent, it has been always dry.

I have a softshell from James Baroud, I used it on my previous rig (RAM PW) and I plan to install it on the JT I'm still waiting for the bed rack.

I have friends installed the Maggiolina but I definitely prefer the James Baroud, Maggiolina is one of the first to have release rooftop tents with hard shell, but James Baroud made it better.

This is the softshell one:

MeanMachine

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon JT
The only hardshell tents that will fit these trucks below the roofline will either hang way off the back or will be the folding iKamper and Roofnest type tents. Problem with those is that they have miniscule space inside when closed compared to a Baroud or Alu-Cab hardshell or a soft tent like Tepui. You will have to live with the OEM mattress or you'll be pulling the air mattress and/or bedding out every morning.

IMO either do the hard shell right and get a full-length above the cab type or get the soft fold-out like a CVT or Tepui that can fit over the bed. The ones that try to do both make a lot of sacrifices to get there and aren't cheaper than entry/mid level hard shells.
I have the iKamper mini and leave 2 sleeping bags up there closed no problem,,,

Torro-Offroad

First Name
Torro Offroad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torro-offroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 WK2
Our SkyLux and SkyLux Bantam models are both available for purchase, with the larger SkyLux having an expanded bed size of 88" x 87" (King Size bed that could sleep up to 4 people!) and the Bantam having a bed size of 58" x 83". Both fold over to a 12" closed height and can hold most, if not all, of your sleeping gear inside. Built-in LED strips underneath the floor and inside the tent allow for easy campsite light at night, and a free included winter insulation kit makes it a great option for those pursuing winter camping. We also include an attachable awning kit with every purchase!

Happy to answer any questions you might have about the tent, and lots more detail is available on our website at www.torro-offroad.com

49617232858_0f76a3a584_c.jpg
Torro SkyLux - Campsite Set-Up