Sponsored

Bobs BoxTop Camper

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
In the first two pictures you just posted it looks like the rack sticks out quite a bit further than the truck.
Am I looking at this right?
i was also thinking this.

So the rack when driving is roof width. Then when you get to your destination, you can slide it open to make a platform for a tent, hunting platform, photography platform, ect. ect. ?
Sponsored

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon GATOR
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
Can you tell us about the construction.? I see that you have it on a jl sans softtop, is that possible for a long trip. And what happens in inclement weather?

OP
OP
Bobs85Reny

Bobs85Reny

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
85 CJ7 Renegade, 81 Cj8 Scrammler, 84 CJ8 Scrambler, 89 YJ Laredo, 06 Wrangler LJ, 86 CJ7, 02 Liberty, 16 jeePatriot
I plan on giving a lot more details on the construction. so in the meantime here are a couple of details that are not shown.
1 right now you are only seeing the framework. this still needs to be skinned. this is why it does not look very weatherproof. I have some interesting materials that I plan on using for that.

2. It doesn't deploy to a tent on a slide. however there is a drawer slide system incorporated into it. Once I get the rest of the assembly together there will be a better understanding of it.
In order to deploy it to a platform it gullwings left and right.
See illustration below.

Screen Shot 2019-10-03 at 4.26.45 PM.png

OP
OP
Bobs85Reny

Bobs85Reny

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
85 CJ7 Renegade, 81 Cj8 Scrammler, 84 CJ8 Scrambler, 89 YJ Laredo, 06 Wrangler LJ, 86 CJ7, 02 Liberty, 16 jeePatriot
The framework is built from 80/20 T slot aluminum. here are some of the reasons I went in this direction
1. So far no welding has been required to frame this.
2. It is extremely strong and much lighter than steel
3. I can order my material all precut and machined to size.
4. This could be home built as a kit.
5. It won't rust like steel
6. It's Modular and scalable. that is extremely important to my design
7. Can be built like an average DIY project

https://8020.net/product-basics

Screen Shot 2019-10-03 at 4.49.04 PM.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bobs85Reny

Bobs85Reny

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Part of the idea behind this is to make strong yet compact Rooftop box / light weight camper that has multiple uses. ( since I am still in progress of building this I do not have a total weight yet.) This is where I think every rooftop tent manufacturer struggles. My goal is to be under 150 lbs total weight all components.
1. The first part is the base rack system. This can either be mounted to any crossbar system that can support the weight or custom mounts can be made.
2. The Strong box/Platform. This will have a slide mount to the base rack allowing for easy installation and removal. and deploy to a rooftop platform that will be 4' x 7' opened position. Comfortable enough for 2 people. This could be scaled to a larger size but my goal is small and compact.
3. The Tents. (This will have multiple variations)

Sponsored

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
Cool. Looking forward to watching the progress!

MudderTruker

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Hilux SR5 and Jeep Renegade ... name is on the list for a Gladiator!
Occupation
Computer dude
This looks awesome ... just remember not to give too much away, or someone may steal your idea! :bandit:

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Bobs85Reny

Bobs85Reny

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So here is the where things get tricky. Yes I don't want to give away all my IP. However I would like feedback on my ideas and see if there is enough interest in it to even bring it to market.

I am also trying not to show too much at a time. There are things in my photos that aren't part of the final prototype and there are things I have not even shown yet. Just enough for a basic idea.

One of the biggest issues I have is cost. Making a quality product is not cheap. I know its a prototype and when I start looking into sourcing I may find alternate solutions but will it be enough to make it a worthwhile commercial product.

The main reason I am doing this is for myself. There is nothing on the market like this and its something I need for my purpose. This will end up on my LJ so I needed it to be compact. As long as I am at it I figured I want it to work on other smaller vehicles. Whats nice about it is that it fits the roof of a gladiator perfectly without hanging over the sides or rear of the cab and still having access to freedom panels. There is no other tent on the market right now that can make that claim.

If I can't make this a successful commercial product there is all of the DIYers out there. I hope that at least showing all this I can inspire a lot of you that are not happy with the commercial products available that there are always alternatives if you put a little time and energy into it. I also want it to be simple enough that anyone with basic bolt together skills could do this themselves. So lets build something together.

Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
So here is the where things get tricky. Yes I don't want to give away all my IP. However I would like feedback on my ideas and see if there is enough interest in it to even bring it to market.

I am also trying not to show too much at a time. There are things in my photos that aren't part of the final prototype and there are things I have not even shown yet. Just enough for a basic idea.

One of the biggest issues I have is cost. Making a quality product is not cheap. I know its a prototype and when I start looking into sourcing I may find alternate solutions but will it be enough to make it a worthwhile commercial product.

The main reason I am doing this is for myself. There is nothing on the market like this and its something I need for my purpose. This will end up on my LJ so I needed it to be compact. As long as I am at it I figured I want it to work on other smaller vehicles. Whats nice about it is that it fits the roof of a gladiator perfectly without hanging over the sides or rear of the cab and still having access to freedom panels. There is no other tent on the market right now that can make that claim.

If I can't make this a successful commercial product there is all of the DIYers out there. I hope that at least showing all this I can inspire a lot of you that are not happy with the commercial products available that there are always alternatives if you put a little time and energy into it. I also want it to be simple enough that anyone with basic bolt together skills could do this themselves. So lets build something together.
I dig it! Giving me some inspiration to build my own 7-9" decked system!

MudderTruker

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Hilux SR5 and Jeep Renegade ... name is on the list for a Gladiator!
Occupation
Computer dude
...However I would like feedback ...
I love it! I think the idea is genius! It is a fix to the problem of the JT (Wranglers in general) being smaller than the other vehicals, more space for my fat ass to sleep better is always welcome! :)

We need more people to think outside the box like this ... there is never enough 'new stuff' at SEMA ... always just a rehash of the same stuff ... 'now in colour - where available'. :p

OP
OP
Bobs85Reny

Bobs85Reny

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I love it! I think the idea is genius! It is a fix to the problem of the JT (Wranglers in general) being smaller than the other vehicals, more space for my fat ass to sleep better is always welcome! :)

We need more people to think outside the box like this ... there is never enough 'new stuff' at SEMA ... always just a rehash of the same stuff ... 'now in colour - where available'. :p
Thanks I appreciate the comment. I would love to have had this on a gladiator at SEMA. Unfortunately I am not a vendor. I am in Vegas that week and was hoping to at least go to the show and get some more ideas and maybe talk to anyone that might have had any interest but since I am not an vendor it will be tough to get in. I originally had done some design work for someone on some retro graphics and was supposed to go but I have not heard back from them. So who knows, I guess there is always next year if things go well.

Ichthus

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gobi JTR, 20 Bikini Willys JLU, 18 GC Overland
Occupation
Pilot
Thanks I appreciate the comment. I would love to have had this on a gladiator at SEMA. Unfortunately I am not a vendor. I am in Vegas that week and was hoping to at least go to the show and get some more ideas and maybe talk to anyone that might have had any interest but since I am not an vendor it will be tough to get in. I originally had done some design work for someone on some retro graphics and was supposed to go but I have not heard back from them. So who knows, I guess there is always next year if things go well.
If you’d like, i’ve got a friend going....he offered to get me in, but I will be in Omaha that week...I can ask I if he’d get you a pass. It’s $40, which seems cheap, compared to some car shows I’ve been to. PM me if you’re serious, I can put you guys in direct contact and you can work out the details of payment and whatnot

EDIT: He’s willing and able to add you to his company list. I do know he’s going to miss the first day of the show, but I’d imagine the passes are digital.

OP
OP
Bobs85Reny

Bobs85Reny

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I got the lighting, solar panel and power control box and airdam
IMG_4279.jpg
IMG_4280.jpg
in this weekend. I also have all the aluminum panels cut and ready to install. Still working on what type of battery I will be using. I am hoping to go with lithium ion if I can source one at a reasonable price.
Sponsored