Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I was going to ask how high the ceilings are in your shop - as it looks limiting for lifting things very high. My gantry crane is about 8' high.
I get curious about others shops and equipment.

My shop 30x36 with 15' ceiling.

shop-2019.jpg
Sponsored

BosRacing

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL, 2018 MegaCab, 2020 Gladiator
I was going to ask how high the ceilings are in your shop - as it looks limiting for lifting things very high. My gantry crane is about 8' high.
I get curious about others shops and equipment.

My shop 30x36 with 15' ceiling.

shop-2019.jpg
My shop was designed to match the house so I didn't want to go very high. The ceiling is 11'6" and has a 48x36 footprint. The last pic shows the house/garage last year where I had to do all my builds before the shop was built.

78362683_505396386726187_1119130471448444928_n.jpg

image4.jpeg

49312084_1952811728122044_8955148524605931520_n.jpg

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Respectable ceiling height. You could easily use a "scissor hoist" to get thing up a good height. Wish I had gone out another 4' for a 30x40 but as it was I had my neighbor who worked for the county back then bring in 25 twin-screw dump truck loads of fill and dirt and I spent months blading and leveling to raise that spot out of swamp. Didn't want to ask him for more. The extra 4' length would have allowed me to get two more vehicles inside and allow more space for a 2 post lift.
Will be enclosing my lean-to to add 12' width, so will end up 42 x 36 long in the end.
Anyway, nice looking space - even before the shop. Was just curious....

BosRacing

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL, 2018 MegaCab, 2020 Gladiator
Respectable ceiling height. You could easily use a "scissor hoist" to get thing up a good height. Wish I had gone out another 4' for a 30x40 but as it was I had my neighbor who worked for the county back then bring in 25 twin-screw dump truck loads of fill and dirt and I spent months blading and leveling to raise that spot out of swamp. Didn't want to ask him for more. The extra 4' length would have allowed me to get two more vehicles inside and allow more space for a 2 post lift.
Will be enclosing my lean-to to add 12' width, so will end up 42 x 36 long in the end.
Anyway, nice looking space - even before the shop. Was just curious....
I wanted to go with a bigger shop and have a lift installed but since I rarely need a lift, I decided against it. In hind sight, I probably should have gone another 2 feet and had a 2 post lift installed. Your shop looks badass. Much more traditional than what I have. I also had to keep the wife happy as well....lol

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I wanted to go with a bigger shop and have a lift installed but since I rarely need a lift, I decided against it. In hind sight, I probably should have gone another 2 feet and had a 2 post lift installed. Your shop looks badass. Much more traditional than what I have. I also had to keep the wife happy as well....lol
Thanks.
My shop design is because of my wife. I wanted more space - multiple classic cars, truck, doing shop work, restorations, and my woodworking meant even after adding onto the garage, I needed more space. Told my wife I needed another "garage". She said ok - but "it has to look like a barn". I drew something out on paper, took it to a place to have some engineering done, designed the trusses (heavy wood working stuff up stairs meant hefty trusses for the load plus the snow load for Iowa). I got the building, she got her barn. Both happy - both wish I had done bigger, though.
It's full - I store one of my cars in it, working on another for another person, 3 engines waiting to be rebuilt, boring bar, rod hone, press, armature lathe, lathe/mill, powder coating oven, plating bench, over 100 alternator cores, dozens of starters, over 3 dozen wiper motors, welders, torch, several pairs of jack stands, 3 floor jacks, 2 blast cabinets, chop saw............ no place left to work!
Yours looks so CLEAN!!!!
shop4.jpg
new-garage-41.jpg

mazeppa

First Name
y= x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
Thanks.
My shop design is because of my wife. I wanted more space - multiple classic cars, truck, doing shop work, restorations, and my woodworking meant even after adding onto the garage, I needed more space. Told my wife I needed another "garage". She said ok - but "it has to look like a barn". I drew something out on paper, took it to a place to have some engineering done, designed the trusses (heavy wood working stuff up stairs meant hefty trusses for the load plus the snow load for Iowa). I got the building, she got her barn. Both happy - both wish I had done bigger, though.
It's full - I store one of my cars in it, working on another for another person, 3 engines waiting to be rebuilt, boring bar, rod hone, press, armature lathe, lathe/mill, powder coating oven, plating bench, over 100 alternator cores, dozens of starters, over 3 dozen wiper motors, welders, torch, several pairs of jack stands, 3 floor jacks, 2 blast cabinets, chop saw............ no place left to work!
Yours looks so CLEAN!!!!
shop4.jpg
new-garage-41.jpg
I like the interior metal walls. :like:
Sponsored