OP
OP
Sweetums

Sweetums

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'05 LJR, '21 JTDR, '00 VFR800, RSV4, '11 MTS 1200
Could be - like i said, never owned one, never really followed them, so can't trash them. I can only say his has been bad news from the word go.
Leaks, electronics issues, transmission not letting him change gears - some sort of thing he had to access to release some lever? I'll ask him again but he said he went online or something and found a similar issue and how to bypass some safety thing that wouldn't let him put it in gear.

Either the year/model he got is problematic or he got one of those lemons that exist around the whole ranges of cars and trucks.
He said "never again".
He doesn't have a Frontier, the only Nissan truck offered in the US with a diesel engine is a Titan XD, and those are notoriously bad - but again, not a Nissan engine or transmission.
Sponsored

Mav4x4Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Sport Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Truck Builder
I didnā€™t read the whole threadā€¦.. I just traded a 2016 Canyon for a 2024 Mojave.

Back in 2016, , I traded a 2007 Tacoma to buy the 2016 Canyon (w/ V6). The Canyon was a nice truck all around. It had more features & more options than the Tacoma (at that time). Drives nice & quiet, tows smooth. My only complaintā€¦.. was the shifting/programming. The 2016 had the 6speed transmission. It always upshifted too early and didnā€™t know how to downshift when you needed it. So, youā€™d get the infamous ā€™chuggle - stutterā€™. Under warranty, they did several computer updates & changed out my torque converter. Nothing fixed it. I believed it was all in the programming. If you put it in tow/haul mode - it shifted as youā€™d expect (no chuggle stutter). These trucks had what they call ā€œAdaptive Learningā€ where the transmission programming would adjust to your driving habits. That chugge stutter only really affected those with a ā€˜light footā€™. It wasnā€™t an issue if you had a heavy right foot (or put it in tow/haul mode). Google Chutter / Stutter - and youā€™ll see it.

Even the 8 speed transmissions are having similar issues. Hence, why I believe its all in their transmission programming.

My husband and I were looking at the new 2023 GMC Canyon redesign. Waited A year before considering buying One (But didnā€™t). My husband wasnā€˜t a fan of the 4cyl turbo, and GM seems to have one issue after another. It took them forever before the new 2023 trucks came out (mid 2023 I think).

My 2016 Canyon treated me really well over the years. No regrets.
I work from home fulltime, so whatever vehicle we bought could be more of a ā€˜pleasure vehicleā€™ than a daily driver. So, we bought a JT a couple weeks ago. Being able to tow & haul, and do other ā€˜truckā€™ things as well as being a convertible, an offroader, and the fun Jeep community. YOu just canā€™t get all that in a Canyon.
Touching on this transmission thing...

So I have a 2015 Camaro SS (GM 6 speed auto) and now I have HP Tuners software for fooling with engines and transmission. I did some digging into the tune on my car as well as asking around - and found that GM does in fact do some very strange things in the transmission tunes - things like purposely allowing the torque converter to slip constantly (70RPM in my car, even when 'locked') and other goofy stuff that was intended to make it 'smoother'. Turns out - it also kills the converter prematurely and that in turn kills the otherwise mostly fine transmission (at least in the case of the 6L80E).

All of the problems can be tuned out of it for the most part (and I have watched a few videos so I can do it myself - just haven't yet), but it is not good in stock form.

Janster

First Name
Jandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Gladiator Mojave X
Occupation
Biller

So I have a 2015 Camaro SS (GM 6 speed auto) and now I have HP Tuners software for fooling with engines and transmission. I did some digging into the tune on my car as well as asking around - and found that GM does in fact do some very strange things in the transmission tunes - things like purposely allowing the torque converter to slip constantly (70RPM in my car, even when 'locked') and other goofy stuff that was intended to make it 'smoother'. Turns out - it also kills the converter prematurely and that in turn kills the otherwise mostly fine transmission (at least in the case of the 6L80E).

All of the problems can be tuned out of it for the most part (and I have watched a few videos so I can do it myself - just haven't yet), but it is not good in stock form.
Crazy isnā€™t it? Itā€™s like they do that crap on purpose cuz they donā€™t want you to mess with it.

I took the truck to a local professional tuner (I was still under warranty) and they basically told meā€¦ Itā€™d be really expensive to professionally tune it and they couldnā€™t guarantee itā€™d fix the issue I was having. I honestly believe they didnā€™t want to touch itā€¦..

I learned to drive with a heavy footā€¦.. and dealt with it until I bought the Gladiator.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase

So you are saying that the lockup clutch is not disengaged, and not engaged,but there's some pressure holding the clutch partially engaged rather than fully released?
I can see leaving the converter unlocked, but leaving the clutch disks with pressure against each other, partly applied instead of released is going to run them hot and shorter life. I don't know why it's not unlocked during a shift.

Last edited:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Take away the context and it sounds quite familiar šŸ¤£
I suppose if you go to the Nissan forums there's a thread called O that used to be called "Last Nissan I'll ever own" ??

OP
OP
Sweetums

Sweetums

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'05 LJR, '21 JTDR, '00 VFR800, RSV4, '11 MTS 1200
I suppose if you go to the Nissan forums there's a thread called O that used to be called "Last Nissan I'll ever own" ??
There is, but not for the Frontier or Xterra. We left that for anything with a Nissan CVT.

Mav4x4Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Sport Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Truck Builder
So you are saying that the lockup clutch is not disengages, and not engages, but there's some pressure holding the clutch partially engaged rather than fully released?
I can see leaving the converter unlocked, but leaving the clutch disks with pressure against each other, partly applied instead of released is going to run them hot and shorter life. I don't know why it's not unlocked during a shift.
I'll see if I can find the info on it I was reading - you'd find it pretty interesting. The GM transmission tuning is pretty funky when stock.
Sponsored