Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
2024 JTR, Bright White AT; 2022 JTR MT (traded)
Occupation
geoarchaeologist (retired)
Thanks for the excellent post, as it saves me a lot of typing. :)

My decision has always come down to JT vs ZR2. I don’t care for any of the drivetrain combinations offered for the ZR2 - the 8 speed shudders badly and the 4-pot baby D’max mated to the ancient 6 speed auto leaves a lot to be desired. If they would offer a stick shift with either engine I’d be far more interested in the Chevy. But then again, the interior space is CHEAP, and back seats are unusable for anyone over 5’2” even in the larger cab, so that might not even be enough to sway me.

When I build out a ZR2 the way I would order one, it’s within $4k of how I would build my ideal JTR. Then I look at 1-2 year old used ZR2’s with low mileage and the dealer ask is $10k less than sticker, meaning that whoever traded those trucks got *really* beat up in the deal. If JT values hold as do those of Wrangler, the MSRP price difference becomes a wash in my mind.

Related to the break over, I also agree - MOPAR lift and 35’s will give all the off-road clearance I will need personally for a rig that will also serve daily driver duty.

The other trucks... Ford - haha, never again. Honda - nowhere near capable enough for trails here in Colorado. Toyota - just as ancient as the Chevy interior, crappy/gutless V6, terrible seating position and ergonomics for full-sized people, and also cramped back seat.
For the Tacoma, you forgot one of the industries worst engine/AT trans mating. The engine/AT mating in the Gladiator is great, although I'm getting an MT (I'm old).
Sponsored

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I pay very little attention to magazine comparos and reviews. Most are of their writers now are journalism
grads that needed a job. Very few left actually know anything about vehicles, have been to driving schools, and they frequently mis report data.
Four Wheeler has a much better review of the Gladiator, and they are off-roaders - precisely why the review was fair and balanced, and most of the reviewers liked it, and it's on it's third year of reviewing. The reviewing magazine we're hating is called "Car" and Driver. That pretty much says it all.

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
That’s weird since Subaru has black listed them and they don’t get press vehicles from Subaru to test. They’ve gotten a couple Subarus from others over the years and even bought one.

I think overall they are pretty fair albeit buy into marketing hype and brand names too much. There aren’t any studies or empirical evidence I’m aware of that proves Toyota is the most reliable anything, yet they push that narrative quite often. They also think that a locker splits torque evenly, which makes no sense since a tire cannot impart much force into the air when lifted off ground meaning the wheel on the ground gets all the torque. It’s actually open diffs that split torque evenly so when you lift a wheel and it cannot generate any torque the opposite wheel will get an equal amount of nothing.
With regard to Tacomas - I am trading my TRD Pro for a Gladiator after the third recall, one for a failing fuel pump that almost got a driver killed, and one for leaking cab lights that creates shorts, and they don't have four wheel disk brakes. The fuel pump recall replacement took a year.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
They were comparing the overland? That seems like a stacked deck.
Seriously. Reviews are stupid. Seldom apples to apples.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Jeeps are like Harleys, if you have to ask you don't understand! And I don't want to explain..

The Ridgeline may be superior in all categories to the JT, but I would NOT be caught in one driving down the street... And don't care.
Ridgelines have always sucked, and will always suck. I genuinely want a ridgline owner to meet me at a trailhead. At the end, if they make it out without ripping a wheel off, we can talk reviews. The ford can meet me there as well. I welcome the comparison. Hell, please bring a ranger and a bronco. Let’s drive over some rocks and see who comes out ahead. :)

Sponsored

Fortus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
With regard to Tacomas - I am trading my TRD Pro for a Gladiator after the third recall, one for a failing fuel pump that almost got a driver killed, and one for leaking cab lights that creates shorts, and they don't have four wheel disk brakes. The fuel pump recall replacement took a year.
Welcome to the club. I came to a Gladiator from a '19 Tacoma TRD Off-Road. I like the Gladiator a lot better.

The bed on my tacoma was put on off-center, also when I shifted it to Drive, the whole truck would jump. It had an intermittent wobble sounding noise (probably drum brake rubbing). Overall, the Tacoma felt cheaper, but the resale value was ridiculous. You're going to make some heavy coin on your Pro.

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Welcome to the club. I came to a Gladiator from a '19 Tacoma TRD Off-Road. I like the Gladiator a lot better.

The bed on my tacoma was put on off-center, also when I shifted it to Drive, the whole truck would jump. It had an intermittent wobble sounding noise (probably drum brake rubbing). Overall, the Tacoma felt cheaper, but the resale value was ridiculous. You're going to make some heavy coin on your Pro.
Yeah, I was offered 2 grand over what I paid for it in 2018. My ordered JTR is in the high 50s. I'll pay cash for the other 10 grand or so. Weird.

gladtohave

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
Occupation
Online sales
I am waiting on my JTRD rite now and don't give a rats a$$ what car and driver says .

joeym7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, 2003 Cadalac STS
Occupation
Retired
I've had my Mojave for 2 months now...been in the "dirt" 3X, love it. Additionally, the OFF-Road + capability is awesome too and deserves special mention.

Not sure where all the craziness about being underpowered came from. If you drive it like an 8 cylinder kinda "lugging" it (maybe) you will be disappointed. But if you drive it the way a 6 cylinder of this nature is meant to be driven, the power is very good (really good), just put it in the correct gear (with you foot manipulating the peddle, or with the "stick") when you want to get the most out of it, NP... Far exceeding my expectations anyway even after driving 8 cylinder sports sedan's all my life.

WhyNotJeep

Banned
Banned
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Ram 2500 Diesel 4x4,,, '14 Wrangler JKUR
Occupation
Done with it
There are probably vehicles better than a Gladiator, BUT, I wanted a Gladiator so I bought one. I don't care who does or does not like them.

Sponsored

Zissou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, 2021 BMW M2, 2012 Monster 1100evo
Occupation
Business Intelligence
There are probably vehicles better than a Gladiator, BUT, I wanted a Gladiator so I bought one. I don't care who does or does not like them.
Bingo. The Gladiator is terrible if you're looking at it on a spreadsheet.

The quote about the Gladiator from this article that resonates is
The Jeep was, hands down, every voter's favorite. You can't not smile while driving it. It's like a golden retriever puppy.

It's why I bought it. Honestly the Ridgeline would have made so much more sense for me. But it's not as fun, plain and simple.

I was cross shopping between my Mojave and a ZR2, which is a more fair comparison. The dealers and resale just were not as good with the Chevy. Plus I can take the top off and shift my own gears.
I really wish I had that ZR2's V6 under the hood though or my old Titan's V8 haha.

Lack of power is my biggest gripe. If I'm going to get 13 mpg I at least want to move!

raypla

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD Stingray
Occupation
Facility Planner
If any other vehicle could fold the top back, at a moment’s notice or better yet take the doors off with proven technology and as high of a re-sale value, I might take a look. In the mean time I’ll rip my JTRD around getting 23+ mpg, with a smile from ear to ear 😁

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
The quote about the Gladiator from this article that resonates is
The Jeep was, hands down, every voter's favorite. You can't not smile while driving it. It's like a golden retriever puppy.
The wrangler and gladiator are routinely panned in automotive journalism comparisons. On paper, it's not a good vehicle. The stats suck and the prices really suck, yet they keep selling by the boatload.

So what is it? Je ne sais quoi. Jeeps make people happy. It's the unquantifiable presence. It's the sense of whimsy and adventure. Not to mention the number of filled niches. Manual pickup? 1 of 2. Manual SUV? 1 of 2 i think? Convertible pickup? only one. 4 door convertibles? 2 of 3 (bronco being the only other). 2 door SUV? uh, 4 i think? (wrangler, bronco, evoque convertible, defender?). Proper overlanding rig? not many left. hardcore rock crawler? wrangler is the only one (unless you're talking a SAS bronco). Vehicle thats actually FUN to mod? not many left.

It really is a Jeep thing.

Zissou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, 2021 BMW M2, 2012 Monster 1100evo
Occupation
Business Intelligence
The wrangler and gladiator are routinely panned in automotive journalism comparisons. On paper, it's not a good vehicle. The stats suck and the prices really suck, yet they keep selling by the boatload.

So what is it? Je ne sais quoi. Jeeps make people happy. It's the unquantifiable presence. It's the sense of whimsy and adventure. Not to mention the number of filled niches. Manual pickup? 1 of 2. Manual SUV? 1 of 2 i think? Convertible pickup? only one. 4 door convertibles? 2 of 3 (bronco being the only other). 2 door SUV? uh, 4 i think? (wrangler, bronco, evoque convertible, defender?). Proper overlanding rig? not many left. hardcore rock crawler? wrangler is the only one (unless you're talking a SAS bronco). Vehicle thats actually FUN to mod? not many left.

It really is a Jeep thing.
And in Car and Driver's defense, the Gladiator has been ranked as an Editor's Choice and is #2 in class - so they do love it

Slojo

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK Unlimited X, 2011 Grand Cherokee, 2016 Colorado Z 71
I brought my Gladiator home and my son said it looks like a 40s truck. Yes it does son, yes it does.
Sponsored