First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland, Subaru Forester
Occupation
Admin
Personally, I think the RL is the truck most people that feel they need to buy a truck should buy. Unless you're doing off road things, need more towing or payload or you're using it as a serious work truck, the RL is more than capable. I owned an 06 for 8 years, we bought it off of my father-in-law. I took that truck down some rough roads, it handled seriously snow well, my FIL took it through fields, fire roads, etc and it handled all that well. The big thing is the creature comforts. It's a very comfortable ride and gets great gas mileage, at least the new ones. And then you can't beat the reliability. And of course the icing on the cake is the trunk in the bed, I really miss that feature. That alone makes this the best truck in my mind for anyone with a family. I got a Gladiator over a new RL because I've always wanted a Wrangler and this truck is as close as I can get to that. I wanted to do more strenuous offroading than the RL could handle and of course, who doesn't love a convertible truck?
In the end, you get what you want or feel you need, but I think that the RL shouldn't be discounted and should be looked at more logically than emotionally.
Sponsored

punk'n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R.I.P '20 Overland (totaled) Welcome home '21 Rubi
I've owned a '07 Ridge, an '11 Ridge and a '17 Ridge. I sold all three to people I know and still see the trucks regularly. Ridgelines have proven to be very reliable.

I only sold my '17 Ridge because I wanted something different (only had 20K miles). I've owned a few Jeeps in the past and still own an '84 CJ. I love that you can customize a Jeep, something that you really can't do much of on a Ridge.

I love my new Gladiator and the platform it provides to make it unique. But, I miss the flat rear floor (seats up) on the Ridge, the bed's trunk, all the little storage nooks, and a bed that fits more. None of my Ridges ever left me stranded in east coast snow.

I don't care what others say, the Ridge is a truck. It even has a higher payload and towing capacity than certain models of JTs. It also has better highway handling. And, since it was never marketed as an off road vehicle, its hard to even try to compare a Ridgeline and a Gladiator.

FormerToyotaGuy

First Name
Acen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Legislative
I test drove a Ridgeline several years ago and I'll stand by my statement its a good car based truck. It has Honda advantage in reliability and for someone who just needs a mid size truck with the ability to go to the snow and do some light off roading its great,
However, I like to go into the woods hunting fishing camping and while I don't need the full capability of the Rubicon (Ill probably never need the front locker) I still go places a Ridgeline wont go.
In fact if Jeep would have made a rear locker only without the "hey jump my Mojave suspension" that would have been similar in capabilities as my last Tacoma I would have bought that and saved a lot of money. The Ridgeline is great as long as you recognize its off road capabilities is going to be behind the other actual 4x4 mid size trucks on the market.

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
I had a 2019 Ridgeline until it was crashed two weeks ago. It is being fixed but there was strucutral damage to the unibody so I decided I did not want to keep it. I decided I wanted a truck I could properly lift but not a full size truck. The Colorado and Ranger did not appeal to me stylistically, so a JT it was. I am enjoying it so far and driving some solid off road trails, but I do miss my bed trunk.

jbehrn

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Is it just me (all the positive/negative posts above aside) but in my mind I have classified the Ridgeline with El Caminos/Rancheros?

Sponsored

Murgatroid

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
RN
Vehicle Showcase
Is it just me (all the positive/negative posts above aside) but in my mind I have classified the Ridgeline with El Caminos/Rancheros?
I was going to say it is more truck than either of those. But back then cars were more truck than the Ridgeline.

DiabolicalDianoga

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland, Subaru Forester
Occupation
Admin
The new Ford Maverick and the Hyundai Santa Cruz will definitely fall into the El Camino/Ranchero category, at least as they've been talked about. Guess we'll find out more whenever they come out.
That being said, people at these car makers are seeing a market there for more unibody trucks. I've said it before and I'm going to reiterate, most people are probably better served by a unibody truck than a body on frame truck.

Dave-in-RI

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.GrowMeaningful.com
Vehicle(s)
2010 Subaru Outback (trade-in for 4xe Gladiator)
Occupation
Nonprofit Organizational Development Consultant
I recently had the chance to sit in the backseat of the 2023 Ridgeline and it was an instant “nope” for me, size wise. Much smaller feel than I would’ve thought; good for local trips only. I’m 5’11”, 185lbs. For me, regardless of its looks or capabilities or price etc., that would’ve been a dealbreaker. Also, I think Consumer Reports said it best with “the Ridgeline isn’t the truck you want, but it’s the truck you need”.

Pleease.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Mercedes CLK350, 2016 Lexus GX460, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-AWD
I haven't been in the back seat of a Gladiator, but had read that the Ridgeline's rear seating area is slightly bigger. Maybe that's incorrect, or it doesn't seem that way in-person.

High Alextude

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Overland High Altitude
I haven't been in the back seat of a Gladiator, but had read that the Ridgeline's rear seating area is slightly bigger. Maybe that's incorrect, or it doesn't seem that way in-person.
https://www.iseecars.com/compare/ho...oth models are midsize,room and rear leg room.

"While both models are midsize trucks, the Honda Ridgeline has the advantage of offering more interior volume, reflected in more front shoulder room and rear shoulder room. The Jeep Gladiator has the advantage in the areas of front head room, front leg room, rear head room and rear leg room."

Sponsored

Pleease.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
https://www.iseecars.com/compare/honda-ridgeline-vs-jeep-gladiator#:~:text=While both models are midsize,room and rear leg room.

"While both models are midsize trucks, the Honda Ridgeline has the advantage of offering more interior volume, reflected in more front shoulder room and rear shoulder room. The Jeep Gladiator has the advantage in the areas of front head room, front leg room, rear head room and rear leg room."
Hah, I had seen an article that stated the opposite, nearly word-for-word :) :

Honda Ridgeline vs. Jeep Gladiator: Seating
Both the Jeep Gladiator and Honda Ridgeline are five-seater pickup trucks. The former has the edge in space for the driver and front passenger with superior legroom, shoulder, hip, and headroom. However, the Ridgeline offers slightly more shoulder and hip room in the rear seats.

Honda Ridgeline vs. Jeep Gladiator: Midsize Truck Matchup (motorbiscuit.com)

High Alextude

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hah, I had seen an article that stated the opposite, nearly word-for-word :) :

Honda Ridgeline vs. Jeep Gladiator: Seating
Both the Jeep Gladiator and Honda Ridgeline are five-seater pickup trucks. The former has the edge in space for the driver and front passenger with superior legroom, shoulder, hip, and headroom. However, the Ridgeline offers slightly more shoulder and hip room in the rear seats.

Honda Ridgeline vs. Jeep Gladiator: Midsize Truck Matchup (motorbiscuit.com)
Pretty sure it is saying the same thing. Because the Ridgeline is a bit wider, it offers more hip/shoulder room, but not more leg room or head room.

Pleease.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pretty sure it is saying the same thing. Because the Ridgeline is a bit wider, it offers more hip/shoulder room, but not more leg room or head room.
Got ya. Less head room might make sense bc the rear seat bottom sits up kind of high, a little like the rear passengers are sitting in the next row of a theater.

The design creates a lot of storage space under the rear seats though, which is helpful, and they flip up (split into 2 sections) so that the whole (or part) of the rear seating area is open for cargo, dogs, etc.

High Alextude

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Got ya. Less head room might make sense bc the rear seat bottom sits up kind of high, a little like the rear passengers are sitting in the next row of a theater.

The design creates a lot of storage space under the rear seats though, which is helpful, and they flip up (split into 2 sections) so that the whole (or part) of the rear seating area is open for cargo, dogs, etc.
The Ridgeline's storage options are amazing.

Sweetums

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'05 LJR, '21 JTDR, '00 VFR800, RSV4, '11 MTS 1200
I just bought a JT, my friend bought a new Ridgeline. In my mind the two are not comparable other than they are both technically mid-size trucks. They are about as far apart as two vehicles can be and still be in the same class.

The Honda is a very nice vehicle, but it was never in the running for me because I wanted off road ability. It's going to be the best choice for 90+% of midsize truck buyers based on how they actually use their vehicles - which is as a truck-shaped car.
Sponsored