Cripton805

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
I have a 21 Willys JT.

I noticed a while back that my trucks fender had some spots on it. I thought it was bird poo.

Now looking closely and after a good wash. It seems like the clear is flaking off in this specific area on the fender.

My 18' Wrangler JLs grille had a chunk of paint coming off. Dealer refused and claimed damage. Even though I saw it come off during a hand wash. (quarter size+). On top off chiping paint around hinges and corrosion. Im hoping I dont start having paint quality issues on the JT as well.

Has anyone had any issues with the clear coat flaking? It seems it's just the clear. No visible impact damage or damage to the actual paint. Just the top layer (clear coat).

IMG_20220122_101435.jpg

IMG_20220122_101416.jpg
Sponsored

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Enginerd
Did any bird poop sit on there for an extended period of time? I'd just take it to the dealer, have them give it a look. The only real widespread paint issues I've really seen on forums/groups is corrosion near the door hinges.

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
I would bring it to the dealers attention but it does look like something sat on it and ate your coating

Angler3

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator
This is my current issue , along with another defective tpms ( third one ) . Just drove to dealer and awaiting authorization for repair . I was told that it’s a problem with 2019 and up. Also above the doors and the door hinges .

400278B3-62A9-43F5-9B61-82833584B8F8.jpeg

OP
OP
Cripton805

Cripton805

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would bring it to the dealers attention but it does look like something sat on it and ate your coating
That's what I was thinking too, but it hasn't ever been in for service. I never worked on it either. I just got the first oil change done and I noticed before I took it in.

Unless these birds have some corrosive poo. 🤣

Sponsored

OP
OP
Cripton805

Cripton805

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did any bird poop sit on there for an extended period of time? I'd just take it to the dealer, have them give it a look. The only real widespread paint issues I've really seen on forums/groups is corrosion near the door hinges.
Yeah it did. I usually do touchless car washes. So I did a few of those and noticed it wasn't coming off. That's when I noticed it was the clear that was flaking.

OP
OP
Cripton805

Cripton805

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If the dealer says no take it to a detailer
That's the plan. I've had a bunch of cars & a few motorcycles. I've never seen paint flake like that except older cars that have sat in the sun. They don't look like round drips / splatter. More like sharp flakes.

Not being a paint professional to identify defects.

OP
OP
Cripton805

Cripton805

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I was thinking, I forgot that I had warranty work on it a few months ago. The right rear axle was replaced due to a heavily leaking seal. I wonder if somehow they got brake fluid on it. I will never know because I didn't notice it when I picked it up. It didn't look as bad until now.. unfortunately.

I will bring it up on my next service.
I will definitely make better observations when I have warranty work done.

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Enginerd
Didn't you already respond to my previous post saying there was bird poop that may have been on that spot? It sure looks like that could have been what caused this due to the size of it and location, and there's definitely digestive fluids that could eat through paint to make it look like this. It might just need a light buff job to remove a bit of clear coat to correct it.

OP
OP
Cripton805

Cripton805

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Didn't you already respond to my previous post saying there was bird poop that may have been on that spot? It sure looks like that could have been what caused this due to the size of it and location, and there's definitely digestive fluids that could eat through paint to make it look like this. It might just need a light buff job to remove a bit of clear coat to correct it.
I thought it was bird poo. I don't know if anything was actually on there. Once I gave it a hand wash, that's when I realized it was the clear "not poo".

I didn't know bird poo could do that. It's never happened to any of my other cars. Good to know it's not poo resistant. lol

I do live on the Coast. Maybe it's the seagull poo. Can't trust them.
I'll let the dealer know. If they don't fix it. I'll try the buff.

Thanks
Sponsored