Clunking noise/slight knock when braking/slowing down

dloon

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Hard to explain this issue without having someone else drive the truck, and maybe I'll try to record a video to see if anything comes through on that, but basically - as I initially press my brake and begin to slow down, there's a slight knock coming from the front. Almost like a clunky downshift? Kind of feels like it's coming from the front axle area, or transfer case maybe? It happens at pretty much all speeds and seems to be more noticeable in the first few miles as the truck is warming up. It's just one little clunk as I brake and come to a stop. Just curious if anyone else has experienced this or has any ideas as to what would cause it. I'm not the most mechanically inclined obviously and it's not a huge bother but I'm just worried some gears or something are grinding & causing wear. This is also just in 2wd (haven't even had to put it in 4wd yet - embarrassing I know).
Sponsored

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB
I would start with checking the caliper mounting screws since you say the noise is related to braking. There have been reports of these coming loose. Also check the castle nuts on the ball joints as there have also been reports of these being loose.

You stated "This is also just in 2wd (haven't even had to put it in 4wd yet - embarrassing I know). " I assume this means you haven't tried to see if it makes the same noise in 4HI, correct?

Mechjk43

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
Occupation
Mechanical Design Engineer
I have a similar issue but itā€™s more of a rotational pulsing/thumping. Took it to the dealership today. Found out how useless my local dealer will be! Service manager rode with me, felt the plulsing, then drove the truck and felt the pulsing through the brake pedal. They called me back 3 hours later and said they thought it was my ā€œfender flaresā€ (Rokblokz). šŸ™„

Told them that sounds like BS and took them off to show them. They scheduled an early appointment in two weeks. Iā€™m giving them a second chance. Pretty sure they didnā€™t have the guys to actually look at it so the guy at the counter feed me some line to get me out the door for the day. They didnā€™t even take a wheel off.

Last edited:

tommyp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Max Tow
Any luck finding the issue. I am having a similar issues. It clunks when I back it up to leave for work and maybe the first stop. It sounds like the back then it sounds like its coming from the front.

Scratch

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Gator, 2019 JL Mojave Bikini, 2011 JK Sport
How many miles on the truck? Any other times that you notice it? Is the truck lifted On acceleration, when you got a bump? When you own a jeep a rubber mallet is a great tool to own. Crawl under it lightly tap around and listen different tones and rattles.
I would tap around the brakes (not likely), the control arms, and ends(perhaps), sway bar links (possible) Rotate the front drive shaft forward and backwards for excessive play.
I just did this with my JK. I found worn bushings, worn sway bar links, and worn shock bushings. Worn not totally bad.
I fixed it all up and sold it in less than 15 minutes on the corner and for over 6k bluebook.
The new JL doesn't have any rattles. šŸ‘šŸ˜Ž

Sponsored

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
FYI One on the JL side is having sort of the same problem too. With only 300 miles.

KamD

First Name
Kam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21ā€™ Gladiator Rubicon
Any updates on this?
Mine is having the same issue, my dealer told me it was probably my tie rod ends and since theyā€™re not replaceable they had to order a whole new tie rod which is taking forever.
hoping thatā€™s the fix, if not idk what else

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Any updates on this?
Mine is having the same issue, my dealer told me it was probably my tie rod ends and since theyā€™re not replaceable they had to order a whole new tie rod which is taking forever.
hoping thatā€™s the fix, if not idk what else
Check your caliper bolts. There have been reports of them working loose.

KamD

First Name
Kam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21ā€™ Gladiator Rubicon
Check your caliper bolts. There have been reports of them working loose.

I actually had those checked and tightened with no luck.
I know sound can travel weirdly but Iā€™m convinced itā€™s coming from the frame side of the front control arms. A binding pop on braking, turning and accelerating at low speeds

ccloud

First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
Guys on the Ram 1500 and TRX side have been experiencing similar low speed rotational clunk. Some of them have fixed the problem by greasing their slip yoke. Itā€™s worth a shot, I just havenā€™t had the time to crack open the seal on the rubber boot to find out. A little worried about breaking the factory boot seal as well. Also, the dealerships are worthless unless you give them Supreme Court level evidence.
Sponsored