Sponsored

Compressed Air Tank Mounted Underneath

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
I have a twin ARB installed, but I also want to have a decent sized air tank on the rig for tool hookups as well as making tire fills that much quicker. Does anyone know what the largest air tank you could fit under the Gladiator is, and where that would mount that wouldn't be too exposed during off-road trails? I know you can do 1 or 2 gallon setups fairly easily, but I wanted to see if you can do more and what it might take.
Sponsored

ElDirector

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I built a skid/mount for my compressor and tank under the body. Drivers side, beside the muffler, between the exhaust and driveshaft. Mounts to the skid crossmember and then up to a open bolt hole in the frame. My setup only has a very small tank, as it also fits the compressor. With JUST the tank, I am sure a long/skinny 5-gallon would fit.

Jeep Gladiator Compressed Air Tank Mounted Underneath IMG_1716.JPEG

Air intake is routed up between the bedside panels just below the gas cap. Outlet is plumbed into a hole in the bed near the tailgate that was already the perfect size for the bulkhead fitting.

Jeep Gladiator Compressed Air Tank Mounted Underneath IMG_1715.JPEG

BaliMawr

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTMT, 2004 R1150GS, 1979 R100
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Art Teacher, Blacksmith
I built a skid/mount for my compressor and tank under the body. Drivers side, beside the muffler, between the exhaust and driveshaft. Mounts to the skid crossmember and then up to a open bolt hole in the frame. My setup only has a very small tank, as it also fits the compressor. With JUST the tank, I am sure a long/skinny 5-gallon would fit.

Jeep Gladiator Compressed Air Tank Mounted Underneath IMG_1715.JPEG

Air intake is routed up between the bedside panels just below the gas cap. Outlet is plumbed into a hole in the bed near the tailgate that was already the perfect size for the bulkhead fitting.
Nice! I've been looking at a set-up for air bags and inflation. That looks perfect. What's that plate, like 1/4x 6" 4"? What compressor are you running?

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
I had thought about here. Above the rear axle. I think I measured out a 8"X 32 or 24 inch spin aluminum tank. Up high. Out of the way. Shouldn't interfere with articulation. Totally protected.
Jeep Gladiator Compressed Air Tank Mounted Underneath IMG_20220120_094037052~2

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In the northeast the goal would be to have it removable so it isn't subject to all the salt our winters dish out. I just wrote up some reasons why you don't want it installed.

But I just noticed you are in Tampa where nothing rusts. ha. Oops.

There are some companies that make long range fuel tanks. Google it. Look where they put them. I'm sure you could get a pretty large air tank in wherever they put the fuel tank.

Sponsored

OP
OP
sharpsicle

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
In the northeast the goal would be to have it removable so it isn't subject to all the salt our winters dish out. I just wrote up some reasons why you don't want it installed.

But I just noticed you are in Tampa where nothing rusts. ha. Oops.

There are some companies that make long range fuel tanks. Google it. Look where they put them. I'm sure you could get a pretty large air tank in wherever they put the fuel tank.
I didn't think of using that as a starting point. Great idea.

ElDirector

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Nice! I've been looking at a set-up for air bags and inflation. That looks perfect. What's that plate, like 1/4x 6" 4"? What compressor are you running?
That is a Viair of some sort. One of their 100% duty cycle versions. I watched deals a few places, and found this "previous year" kit on Amazon at a deep discount. Included a 5 gallon tank, but I gave up making it fit. Bought this 1/2 gallon, also from Amazon, pretty cheap. Used all of the hoses and fittings in the Viair kit.

Plate is 3/16" and roughly 6" wide and 24" long, give or take. Spans from just ahead of of the factory skid cross member, that happens to have two bolt holes in a nearly perfect spot, back to directly below another factory bolt hole in the frame towards the rear of the cab. I used a piece of angle to create the bracket from the plate to the frame. So, this is mounted at 3 points. I've smacked this into the ground and a few rocks. Other than scuffing the paint, no issues. Actually gives a little extra protection to the driveshaft and muffler.

Just used it today, actually. Low tire warning on my wife's JK, thanks to the cold weather. I didn't even have to open the garage.
Sponsored