Consumer Reports finds 2020 JL to be one of the most unreliable vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
You are incorrect. Consumer Reports makes a living rating all brands, comparing them against one another and recommending which ones to buy and which ones not to buy. So it needs to survey a REPRESENTATIVE sample of the buying public.

The issue is not that these are Jeep owners; the issue is that surveying subscribers is not representative of the total buying public. Consumer Reports member base is heavily biased towards Japanese imports by the simple fact that those are the products they consistently recommend. To then survey members and pretend that their views reflects the total market is fantasy.

Consumer Reports would be correct if it presented its findings as representative only of its subscriber base. But that wouldn’t give them the headlines or the website traffic they crave. So they are making statements about the total buying population without the data to back it up.

This distinction is not insignificant. It is the basis of proper sampling and of valid market research.
That's pretty rich. Your logic is saying since Consumer Reports subscribers report fewer issues and greater satisfaction with Japanese brands they are therefore biased toward Japanese brands. So, it's simply not possible that the Japanese brands have fewer issues. You sound just like the UAW guys I've talked with about this issue.
Sponsored

Professor_Chaos

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bmw x4, bmw 330xi, jeep Gladiator willys
Occupation
Homemaker
As you indicate, as a subscriber Consumer Reports would send you an annual survey.

Right there lies the problem with Consumer Reports methodology: it does NOT use a random sample.

The way to minimize bias is precisely by targeting a random sample of respondents that is representative of the population. You don’t have a random sample when you mail surveys to your subscribers, to whom you recommend what to buy!

Telling subscribers what to buy and then asking them to evaluate it is not scientific research; that is garbage.

Just devils advocate here... not even touching other thoughts you've expressed...an argument could be made that data from consumer reports should be taken more seriously because of the lack of random samples.

Trust me when I tell you the scientific method no longer exist when it comes to opinions of humans. You are calling to logic in a universe where logic no longer exists.

An argument could be made that consumer report subscribers are more honest with answers, more discretionary with their responses and more likely to shit over a purchase to help other subscribers.

Not saying its true, just not buying your logic.

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
My experience with CR is 1) they gave praise to a Honda I have owned for 18 years that has been absolutely flawless. 2) They panned a Buick my wife owned that, indeed, self-destructed at 100k. They have recently praised the Gladiator (since I bought it) so I am hoping their track record (for me) holds up.

My take-away from this thread is: If Consumer Reports ever gave a bad review to a car you've loved, they hurt your feelings and they are shit to you :LOL: . If they praised a car that you owned & loved they seem credible :involve:.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.