First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21’ Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical
Oh, absolutely. I wasn't trying to imply that all Ivermectin is horse wormer, only that people are literally going to Tractor Supply and buying it in horse wormer form to treat Covid.
1645285162807.png
Honestly? If you need this sign, I’m fine with nature taking it’s course.
Sponsored

jmdwifi

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Wireless Network engineer, Drummer of WOLF LEGION
Vehicle Showcase
Don't know, I was all set to buy a Tacoma TRD pro, until I test drove it. The Gladiator drove much better, and that along side the larger cabin, was the determining factor. The jeep requires more steering input, but the Tacoma drove and rode worse to me.
A Tundra is fullsize though. My brother in Law has a Tundra limited, and that thing drives great, admittedly much better than the gladiator. But the Tacoma is nothing special as far as ride/drive quality go.
Mine was a 2017 limited, I don't know if they were different. I am not saying it was vastly different but the Jeep is more jumpy or something. On a positive note, my Gladiator rides much better than my 2015 JKU.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Mine was a 2017 limited, I don't know if they were different. I am not saying it was vastly different but the Jeep is more jumpy or something. On a positive note, my Gladiator rides much better than my 2015 JKU.
I'm sure a limited drives much better than a TRD pro, so that could be it. But we might just also have different subjective ideas of a good ride, or it could be different jeep trims as well. My wife's JKU Sahara drives better thany JTR, in my opinion. The Tacoma TRD pro felt like it was going to flip while turning (so much body roll). It was also too cramped inside for me to be comfortable. As you stated, the jeep with its solid axles will definitely require more active steering input, but otherwise, it doesn't handle poorly.

Now the wind noise and things like that will obviously be worse in a jeep, even objectively.

Last edited:

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Don't know, I was all set to buy a Tacoma TRD pro, until I test drove it. The Gladiator drove much better, and that along side the larger cabin, was the determining factor. The jeep requires more steering input, but the Tacoma drove and rode worse to me.
A Tundra is fullsize though. My brother in Law has a Tundra limited, and that thing drives great, admittedly much better than the gladiator. But the Tacoma is nothing special as far as ride/drive quality go.
I'd like to know what your definition of better driving was because between the two that's the only thing I miss about my Tacoma. The tighter steering, better control over bumpy terrain and roads, and more planted feel in corners was miles ahead of my gladiator even the rear coils soak up the road more nicely than the leafs in the Tacoma. The difference between the two at 85 is the most night and day I've experienced between two similar vehicles.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd like to know what your definition of better driving was because between the two that's the only thing I miss about my Tacoma. The tighter steering, better control over bumpy terrain and roads, and more planted feel in corners was miles ahead of my gladiator even the rear coils soak up the road more nicely than the leafs in the Tacoma. The difference between the two at 85 is the most night and day I've experienced between two similar vehicles.
Well, for starters, I don't regularly hit 85, because that would ge me arrested here (it seriously would). But mainly going around curves, just seemed like the body roll was very extreme. Was yours a TRD pro? Ive always liked Tacomas, so I wanted to like it. It was used 2019, so it was cheaper than the gladiator. So my wallet really wanted me to like it.

The jeep, at least in Rubicon form, doesn't like to cruise super fast. So I'm sure you're correct, the Taco at 85 mph out handles a jeep at 85. The Mojave folks might disagree with me. But I'm just talking regular (for south central pa and western MD) road speeds of 0-75 mph, with some curves and mountains thrown in. The gladiator won our test drive.

Last edited:

Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Well, for starters, I don't regularly hit 85, because that would ge me arrested here (it seriously would). But mainly going around curves, just seemed like the body roll was very extreme. Was yours a TRD pro? Ive always liked Tacomas, so I wanted to like it. It was used 2019, so it was cheaper than the gladiator. So my wallet really wanted me to like it.

The jeep, at least in Rubicon form, doesn't like to cruise super fast. So I'm sure you're correct, the Taco at 85 mph out handles a jeep at 85. The Mojave folks might disagree with me. But I'm just talking regular (for south central pa and western MD) road speeds of 0-75 mph, with some curves and mountains thrown in. The gladiator won our test drive.
Yeah mine was just an Off Road and having owned it and a 4x4 Sport, they both handled better to me at higher speeds but the leafs can be more harsh at lower speeds. I think my general concern is that at higher speeds, the looser steering is much more worrying and being shaped like a brick doesn't help either. It was a lot more comfortable when I lived in VA where 10 over is a felony and most posted limits are 55-65.

Honestly it, along with a few other things related to a new house purchase, have me debating if I even want to keep the truck. The jack of all trades thing was appealing when we were renting but now I have a truck that can't carry a full sheet or more than 500# before going over GVRW because of the off roady stuff all while compromising on the off road because it's a pickup that needs to be daily driven. We've been starting to look at the car-pickup-toy split instead of relying on one vehicle to do all 3.

OP
OP
DPF140

DPF140

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Engineering Technical Director
Honestly? If you need this sign, I’m fine with nature taking it’s course.
And the real hum dinger... does anyone actually know anyone personally who was trying to purchase horse dewormer for the purposes of thinking it would treat covid... or just another "story" like consumer report "reporting" something with a hiden motive behind what they write. It's like a spiraling circle you can never get out of.

Which always leads me back to... if I can touch it, smell it, see it and experience it... I'll make up my own mind.

OP
OP
DPF140

DPF140

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys
Occupation
I'm curious to compare. A family member is waiting to take delivery of a Taco Pro any day... we are going to have to do some comparisons ourselves!

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm curious to compare. A family member is waiting to take delivery of a Taco Pro any day... we are going to have to do some comparisons ourselves!
All the gladiator trims ride quite differently too though. My rubi will be stiffer than your willys. The Mojave will ride differently (most say better) than both. I imagine an overland or HA with the larger wheels will ride differently still. A diesel has to ride at least a bit differently than a 3.6, due to the different weight distribution. I guess you really have to compare like for like.

OP
OP
DPF140

DPF140

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys
Occupation
All the gladiator trims ride quite differently too though. My rubi will be stiffer than your willys. The Mojave will ride differently (most say better) than both. I imagine an overland or HA with the larger wheels will ride differently still. A diesel has to ride at least a bit differently than a 3.6, due to the different weight distribution. I guess you really have to compare like for like.
Interesting point. So far I like how my 3.6L Willy's behaves on the road. I'm really curious and hopeful we "gladiators" are the first small truck to get a hybrid setup "4Xe" as I think it would be a gamechanger for so many scenarios.

Sponsored

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interesting point. So far I like how my 3.6L Willy's behaves on the road. I'm really curious and hopeful we "gladiators" are the first small truck to get a hybrid setup "4Xe" as I think it would be a gamechanger for so many scenarios.
Yeah, I don't know enough about Toyotas to know if their different trims have the suspensions tuned as much as jeeps do or not. I'd imagine at least on the offroad trims they are, but I really don't know. I know I like Toyota trucks, it just wasn't for me. I'll probably land an older one some day.

Fastwake

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
If you believe CONSUMER REPORTS your a very very shallow person

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
Have you ever filled out a CR car survey?
Yes, multiple times. It took a little while, but I didn't think it was a big deal. I simply checked a block next to any area where my vehicle had a problem.

Based on your logic, no survey of any kind has any validity whatsoever.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, multiple times. It took a little while, but I didn't think it was a big deal. I simply checked a block next to any area where my vehicle had a problem.

I'm sure the survey is accurate. It's just skewed by how many first time jeep buyers are buying gladiators. That's really the only explanation to why a Wrangler, which is mechanically identical and produced on the same lines, would have a much different rating than a gladiator. They're pretty much the same. People see "Cool! Convertible truck!" And forget it's a jeep, warts and all. I'm under no delusions that these are perfect. But the disparity between wranglers and gladiators is odd. Many-time jeep owners are willing to look over things others aren't. For better or for worse. This was my second "real" jeep after a TJ we parted with a few years back. But I knew what I was getting into. If you're used to Toyota-like drive it and forget it experience, and a quiet ride with never any leaks (roof or axle haha) and no wind noise, it'll be quite disappointing. If you're not used to the solid axle steering experience, and not having independent suspension, it will be disappointing as well.

Last edited:

Wolf Island Diver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Rubicon EcoDiesel
Occupation
Software Engineer

I’m not saying that at all and this isn’t my opinion or my logic. You’re assuming that there is only one kind of survey methodology or the because I expressed the view (which happens to be uncontroversial) that voluntary surveys are not scientifically rigorous I must dislike all surveys. I don’t even dislike Consumer Reports on the whole. I’m speaking from my educational background in economics/political science and engineering, and my professional experience in operations
research, data science and modsim. I’ve spent a career working with data sets trying to avoid problems that reduce validity. I’ve lead teams designing studies and conducting surveys.

Go to any university on the planet and ask a any social scientist, economist, political scientist or someone who works in OR or data science and they will tell you the same thing. Email the folks at FRED https://fred.stlouisfed.org/ and ask them about survey methodology. Voluntary surveys suffer from self-selection bias and are not considered reliable within all of those fields.

Researchers do conduct surveys all the time that are valid. Many of those political survey calls we get are those kinds of surveys. They’re built around standard, peer-reviewed methodologies. They are attempting to get a representative sample of the total population. This is why they cold call people rather than allow people to contact them. This is why they’re not being done via Buzzfeed or FB.

If CR called a random sample set of the American public or got purchase data from manufacturers and contacted owners like other automotive researchers do, then their surveys and thus ratings would be of better quality. They don’t do that. They rely on self selection within of a specific subset of the total population. It’s classic bad sampling.

Little known to most folks is something called the GSS ( general social survey) https://www.nsf.gov/pubs/2007/nsf0748/nsf0748_3.pdf
It’s the gold standard for social science data, it’s used to shape public policy that affects many aspects of our lives. It exceptionally important and it’s survey-based. Any political science undergrad will spend a lot of time with this data.

You’ve probably heard of “consumer confidence.” This too is based on surveys. https://www.conference-board.org/topics/consumer-confidence. There’s the ASM https://www.census.gov/programs-surveys/asm.html, again critical to understanding what is happening in the economy.

Survey data is critical to the proper functioning of society, the economy and federal and state governments. But like any data collection tool, it has to be rigorous to be valid and applicable

As far as automotive data, there are also other sources. JD Power is a mixed bag. Some of their methodologies are better in that they try and get a more representative sample, but their relationship with the industry presents a potential conflict of interest. The government also collects statistics on vehicle repair and safety issues.

I would argue that people have to take a look at a lot of sources when buying a car. I’m not saying that CR is never a valuable source. I took the CR survey obviously because I’m a CR member. But I do recognize that there are some problems there and as someone who is trained and worked in some of the above mentioned fields, CRs casual glossing over of the limits of their surveys reeks of institutional arrogance and I find that troubling.
Sponsored