Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
IT Manager
EDIT; We bought the Walkabout 62

Hi everyone,

My wife and I recently purchased a Gladiator and we just ordered our Rack (JCR Full Size) as it has a 4-6 week lead time, and we are now looking for a tent.

We don’t want to break the bank, as we are not sure how much we are going to enjoy Overlanding, but on paper, we’re sold on the idea.

Requirements:
  1. Fits 2 Adults + 2 Kids (All four of us weigh around 325 lbs, combined, we aren’t big people)
  2. Fits on the JCR Full Rack (https://www.jcroffroad.com/product/JTBR.html)
  3. Quick and easy setup / take down
  4. Around $2,000 or less price range (can go higher if it is 100% worth it)
  5. Suitable for Wisconsin Spring/Summer/Fall Climate 90% of the time
We are looking at the following tents:
Does anyone have any other tent recommendations that fit our criteria?

Thanks for all your help, happy4th!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bowerss2

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator, 1980 Chevrolet Corvette, 1930 Ford Roadster Pickup, 1930 Ford Station Wagon, 1930 Ford Phaeton, and an awesome 2004 Ford E-250 (the dangerwagon)
Hi there! Don't know if you have made up your mind yet, but my.02 is I am a bit of a contrarian on RTTs. I don't like them.

Lots of reasons why, but in short. 1)They tend to Kill MPG, 2) They are heavy and awkward to mount/dismount, 3) they are expensive 4) This is the big reason!! Often times I find a killer campsite that is jusssstttt off the trail (better views, higher ground, more level etc) and that just doesn't work with a rtt. 5) Climbing a ladder after a few end of day drinks can be sketchy 6) If the worst happens and I flip the rig off-road I still have a place to sleep for the night!

If I lived in Australia or somewhere with serious critters to worry about then i would consider a RTT, but in NA we just don't have that issue.

So I guess, other than the cool kid factor ask yourself why you really want a RTT, if you want one, buy one! but just know they are upsides and downsides to them to consider.

I have this tent, its reasonably prices, its big enough to stand in, and you can buy that, plus a really nice air bed or cot for way less then an rtt. It takes 60-90 seconds to pop it up.

https://www.amazon.com/Gazelle-2227...1&keywords=gazelle+tent&qid=1594389543&sr=8-2