Enabling auto high beam

Bw1605

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
No cars within a close proximity to you or lights that could throw it off and it not switch to auto?
I know… It’s completely dark where I live and the speed is correct. The feature does work correctly on my Ram
Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
@ShadowsPapa @Jimmy07

Are you aware of any additional changes that may need to be made to get this activated?

I made the listed changes, using AlfaOBD and the OBDLink MX+.
* VehConfig 1: Auto High beam- YES (this tells it to enable)
* 2014 CBC Config I/O & Feat: Auto High Beam Module Location- IRCM (this tells it where the module is)
* 2014 CBC Config I/O & Feat: Auto High Beam On Threshold- 25 km/h (this is default and was already set in my case) - not set for me, had to enter value
* 2014 CBC Config I/O & Feat: Auto High Beam Off Threshold- 20 km/h (this is default and was already set in my case) - not set for me, had to enter value
* CustSetMenu 1: Auto High Beam CSM Present- YES (this sets it in the radio settings screen under "Lights", adds the menu selection so you can turn it on or off. See picture of the menu below)

It took a couple ignition cycles for the menu option to show up in the Uconnect settings. When I check it to enable Auto Dim, after a couple seconds it makes a ding sound and unchecks itself.

I have an early build Overland (3/28/2019) with the Adaptive Cruise and FCW. These both work with no apparent issues, I use ACC regularly on the freeway.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
@ShadowsPapa @Jimmy07

Are you aware of any additional changes that may need to be made to get this activated?

I made the listed changes, using AlfaOBD and the OBDLink MX+.
* VehConfig 1: Auto High beam- YES (this tells it to enable)
* 2014 CBC Config I/O & Feat: Auto High Beam Module Location- IRCM (this tells it where the module is)
* 2014 CBC Config I/O & Feat: Auto High Beam On Threshold- 25 km/h (this is default and was already set in my case) - not set for me, had to enter value
* 2014 CBC Config I/O & Feat: Auto High Beam Off Threshold- 20 km/h (this is default and was already set in my case) - not set for me, had to enter value
* CustSetMenu 1: Auto High Beam CSM Present- YES (this sets it in the radio settings screen under "Lights", adds the menu selection so you can turn it on or off. See picture of the menu below)

It took a couple ignition cycles for the menu option to show up in the Uconnect settings. When I check it to enable Auto Dim, after a couple seconds it makes a ding sound and unchecks itself.

I have an early build Overland (3/28/2019) with the Adaptive Cruise and FCW. These both work with no apparent issues, I use ACC regularly on the freeway.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
That looks like my notes -

VehConfig 1: Auto High beam- YES
2014 CBC Config I/O & Feat: Auto High Beam Module Location- IRCM
2014 CBC Config I/O & Feat: Auto High Beam On Threshold- 25 km/h **
2014 CBC Config I/O & Feat: Auto High Beam Off Threshold- 20 km/h **
CustSetMenu 1: Auto High Beam CSM Present- YES

** was already set in my November 5/2019 build 2020 Overland

HOWEVER, because it was not a factory option in November (it was in December), it could not be added to my VIN and stick in event of a flash - dealer tried)

Headlight switch MUST be in AUTO mode. You cannot use it if the headlights are turned on by you - if in "ON" mode, it won't work.

Then you make it work by pulling the TS lever back - the dash will say enabled or disabled when you move the TS lever for high beam.

Is it possible that yours is so early that it's not in the Integrated Relay Control Module (IRCM) ??

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
That looks like my notes -

VehConfig 1: Auto High beam- YES
2014 CBC Config I/O & Feat: Auto High Beam Module Location- IRCM
2014 CBC Config I/O & Feat: Auto High Beam On Threshold- 25 km/h **
2014 CBC Config I/O & Feat: Auto High Beam Off Threshold- 20 km/h **
CustSetMenu 1: Auto High Beam CSM Present- YES

** was already set in my November 5/2019 build 2020 Overland

HOWEVER, because it was not a factory option in November (it was in December), it could not be added to my VIN and stick in event of a flash - dealer tried)

Headlight switch MUST be in AUTO mode. You cannot use it if the headlights are turned on by you - if in "ON" mode, it won't work.

Then you make it work by pulling the TS lever back - the dash will say enabled or disabled when you move the TS lever for high beam.

Is it possible that yours is so early that it's not in the Integrated Relay Control Module (IRCM) ??
Those are your notes. None of the options were pre-set for me. I don't know if it's a hardware issue, or another setting that needs changed. Is the IRCM something that can be upgraded or easily replaced (at a reasonable cost)?

CC_Gladiator

First Name
Collin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Manufacturing Engineer
@ShadowsPapa @jwilson2899 thanks guys for providing a write up on how you were able to enable the auto high beams on your JTs. Can you tell me how to get this to work with my Tazer Mini?

I enable the “AutoHiBm” Tazer lighting submenu setting, and now I’m getting the auto high beams checkbox to show on my radio, but nothing has changed when I toggle my high/low beam lever. Because my JT has ACC, I thought I would be able to get this Tazer setting to work, but now I’m wondering if I set things up wrong or if Z Automotive is falsely advertising that the Tazer Mini can enable auto high beams on JTs.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
@ShadowsPapa @jwilson2899 thanks guys for providing a write up on how you were able to enable the auto high beams on your JTs. Can you tell me how to get this to work with my Tazer Mini?

I enable the “AutoHiBm” Tazer lighting submenu setting, and now I’m getting the auto high beams checkbox to show on my radio, but nothing has changed when I toggle my high/low beam lever. Because my JT has ACC, I thought I would be able to get this Tazer setting to work, but now I’m wondering if I set things up wrong or if Z Automotive is falsely advertising that the Tazer Mini can enable auto high beams on JTs.
Make sure the headlights are in "auto" position - not "on". It only works in auto.
And if you just enabled everything, it might take a few hours to take hold.

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Occupation
System Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

At one point when I did this I wasn’t able to get it working with Tazer. I used AlfaOBD to enable mine like ShadowsPapa did. What should I happen is the following if the Tazer worked right:

1. Checkbox should show up in the radio and you check it.
2. Make sure you headlight switch is set to auto
3. Start your truck either after dark, or if it’s daylight out completely cover the sensor on the dash.
4. Once your headlights come on, press the turn signal forward to activate the high beams. You should see the dash say “Automatic High Beams Enabled”
5. Once you see that it should be good to go. Only sure way to test is to drive at night in a dark place and go above 15 or 20 MPH (I think, I can’t remember the exact value) you should see the high beams come on.

S_Hawk

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 WK2 Trailhawk
as far as I can see no faults andthe settings you listed are exactly what I have set. And it is enabled on the Uconnect settings. It tell me in the evic that auto high beams are enabled. What could I be missing?
Were you ever able to get the Auto High Beams working? I have a 2020 WK2 Trailhawk, with all the required hardware. I've made all the aforementioned changes in alfaOBD and and am in the same boat. I get the EVIC message stating that auto high beams are enabled, but they never come on. Any additional guidance would be much appreciated!

Jimmy07

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 2500 2019 Jeep Cherokee
Were you ever able to get the Auto High Beams working? I have a 2020 WK2 Trailhawk, with all the required hardware. I've made all the aforementioned changes in alfaOBD and and am in the same boat. I get the EVIC message stating that auto high beams are enabled, but they never come on. Any additional guidance would be much appreciated!
Grand Cherokee is a little different. For auto high beam location, try setting it to “half”.

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

S_Hawk

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 WK2 Trailhawk
Grand Cherokee is a little different. For auto high beam location, try setting it to “half”.
Thanks for the replies and suggestions. Below is a list of my vehicle hardware and alfaOBD settings as well as troubleshooting I've done.

Hardware:

Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop

Advanced Brake Assist

Full Speed Forward Collision Warn Plus

Lane Departure Warning Plus

Parallel and Perp Park–Assist with Stop

Rain–Sensitive Windshield Wipers

AlfaOBD settings:

* VehConfig 1: Auto High beam- YES

* 2014 CBC Config I/O & Feat: Auto High Beam Module Location- HALF

* 2014 CBC Config I/O & Feat: Auto High Beam On Threshold- 25 km/h

* 2014 CBC Config I/O & Feat: Auto High Beam Off Threshold- 20 km/h

* CustSetMenu 1: Auto High Beam CSM Present- YES

* CustSetMenu 1: Auto Park CSM Present- YES

After making the changes, I performed the following troubleshooting steps:

"Connect to the BCM and scan for faults, make a note of any faults, and clear them.

Connect to the Lane Control Module and scan for faults, make a note of any, and clear them.

Make a run with the auto high beams activated, and in the correct requirements for them to come on (over 15mph, dark/no lights shining back on the forward cam, etc).

If they don’t work, re-scan those two modules for faults again. "

-I rescanned both modules and no faults were found.

I do get the "Automatic High Beams Enabled" message in the EVIC with the multifunction lever in the "high beam on" position and "Automatic High Beams Disabled" message in the EVIC with the multifunction lever in "high beam off" position. I've made my test runs on a dark country road with no road signs that could possibly reflect back and cancel out the high beam. If I have the "Automatic High Beams Enabled" engaged the high beams never come on. If I uncheck "Auto Dim High Beams" in the Uconnect Lights menu, with the multifuntion lever in the "high beam on" position, the high beams operate manually as normal.

I'm beginning to think that the auto high beam feature will only work if you have the "Premium Lighting Group" package:

Premium Lighting Group
Automatic High Beam Headlamp Control
BI–Xenon HID Headlamps
LED Daytime Running Headlamps
Front LED Fog Lamps

Sadly, this is the only "Premium" feature that my Trailhawk did not come equipped with. If anyone has any additional thoughts or things to try, Im open to suggestions. I do have both alfaOBD and Jscan so I am able to use either.

Again, thanks for the replies and guidance!

Jimmy07

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 2500 2019 Jeep Cherokee
Thanks for the replies and suggestions. Below is a list of my vehicle hardware and alfaOBD settings as well as troubleshooting I've done.

Hardware:

Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop

Advanced Brake Assist

Full Speed Forward Collision Warn Plus

Lane Departure Warning Plus

Parallel and Perp Park–Assist with Stop

Rain–Sensitive Windshield Wipers

AlfaOBD settings:

* VehConfig 1: Auto High beam- YES

* 2014 CBC Config I/O & Feat: Auto High Beam Module Location- HALF

* 2014 CBC Config I/O & Feat: Auto High Beam On Threshold- 25 km/h

* 2014 CBC Config I/O & Feat: Auto High Beam Off Threshold- 20 km/h

* CustSetMenu 1: Auto High Beam CSM Present- YES

* CustSetMenu 1: Auto Park CSM Present- YES

After making the changes, I performed the following troubleshooting steps:

"Connect to the BCM and scan for faults, make a note of any faults, and clear them.

Connect to the Lane Control Module and scan for faults, make a note of any, and clear them.

Make a run with the auto high beams activated, and in the correct requirements for them to come on (over 15mph, dark/no lights shining back on the forward cam, etc).

If they don’t work, re-scan those two modules for faults again. "

-I rescanned both modules and no faults were found.

I do get the "Automatic High Beams Enabled" message in the EVIC with the multifunction lever in the "high beam on" position and "Automatic High Beams Disabled" message in the EVIC with the multifunction lever in "high beam off" position. I've made my test runs on a dark country road with no road signs that could possibly reflect back and cancel out the high beam. If I have the "Automatic High Beams Enabled" engaged the high beams never come on. If I uncheck "Auto Dim High Beams" in the Uconnect Lights menu, with the multifuntion lever in the "high beam on" position, the high beams operate manually as normal.

I'm beginning to think that the auto high beam feature will only work if you have the "Premium Lighting Group" package:

Premium Lighting Group
Automatic High Beam Headlamp Control
BI–Xenon HID Headlamps
LED Daytime Running Headlamps
Front LED Fog Lamps

Sadly, this is the only "Premium" feature that my Trailhawk did not come equipped with. If anyone has any additional thoughts or things to try, Im open to suggestions. I do have both alfaOBD and Jscan so I am able to use either.

Again, thanks for the replies and guidance!
Do you happen to have a bcm log of a WK that has premium lighting and auto high beams, or know of anyone who does?

S_Hawk

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 WK2 Trailhawk
Do you happen to have a bcm log of a WK that has premium lighting and auto high beams, or know of anyone who does?
Unfortunately I do not know anyone that has the premium lighting package, so that's not an option for me. Thanks for the suggestion!

irish_love

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator

The very first time I enabled this on my JT, it seemed to work and the checkbox stayed clicked. After the reboot it will not stay clicked no mater what. Not really an answer, but maybe someone will chime in.
Sponsored