Factory Aux switch conundrum

Pilot1012000

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
So..... Got some LED cubes to mount on the Hi-Lift lighting brackets on the hood.
Simple. 2 wires and connected to the Orange Aux 3 switch wire under the hood. Lights work - the world is good.....
Went to the gas station early this AM and thought I would try them out - and as soon as you switch them on, the power steering pump shuts off. No steering...... Switch them off, and 2 seconds later the pump kicks back in.

Anyone? Buehler? I'm thinking that either someone at the factory made a mistake when they installed the harness or...... i have no idea what else....
Sponsored

Vicegrips

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
not gainfully employed. Too old, been there done that.
Until someone with actual knowledge steps in, I'll offer a couple troubleshooting steps you might consider if you're so inclined.

1. Have you activated the switch with the engine running with No load? Disconnect your lights from the switch wire, activate the switch, make sure the switch wiring by itself isn't the problem. I think the switch wires appear under both the hood and the passenger side dash, so make sure both ends aren't shorted, damaged, whatnot.

2. All good so far? After confirming that your cubes don't draw too much current for the aux circuit you've chosen (40A aux1&2, 15A aux3&4 if I recall correctly), connect one light at a time, try the switch to see if particular light is the problem.

3. Either one works but both don't? I'd suspect the switched circuit has a problem. Try a different aux circuit, particularly if you've been working with aux3 or aux4. Try aux1 or aux2 as they are designed to deliver more current at 12v than 3 or 4.

Now, if you're a geek like me, you've got a multimeter. Current draw will probably exceed the meter rating for amps, so I'd measure the 12v being delivered by the switch circuit at the point where the lights are connected. No load vs one light vs 2 light should be about the same, no significant voltage drop.

Let us know how thing develop.

OP
OP

Pilot1012000

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Until someone with actual knowledge steps in, I'll offer a couple troubleshooting steps you might consider if you're so inclined.

1. Have you activated the switch with the engine running with No load? Disconnect your lights from the switch wire, activate the switch, make sure the switch wiring by itself isn't the problem. I think the switch wires appear under both the hood and the passenger side dash, so make sure both ends aren't shorted, damaged, whatnot.

2. All good so far? After confirming that your cubes don't draw too much current for the aux circuit you've chosen (40A aux1&2, 15A aux3&4 if I recall correctly), connect one light at a time, try the switch to see if particular light is the problem.

3. Either one works but both don't? I'd suspect the switched circuit has a problem. Try a different aux circuit, particularly if you've been working with aux3 or aux4. Try aux1 or aux2 as they are designed to deliver more current at 12v than 3 or 4.

Now, if you're a geek like me, you've got a multimeter. Current draw will probably exceed the meter rating for amps, so I'd measure the 12v being delivered by the switch circuit at the point where the lights are connected. No load vs one light vs 2 light should be about the same, no significant voltage drop.

Let us know how thing develop.
Thanks for the steps! I was going to start troubleshooting this later today, so its great to have steps to do. Its going into Jeep to have the steering box replaced on the 28th (there's a new service advisory out from FCA regarding the terrible steering and they are starting to replace them) so if I don't figure it out, I'll let them puzzle it out :)
Sponsored